Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Witness the Event

Options
  • 22-05-2002 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Let's say you could choose a particular historic event and then go through time and distance and personally experience it... for example: the knocking of the Berlin Wall, the Live Aid concert, the Assasination of J.F.K., the Moon Landing, the Ireland Vs. Italy soccer game in Giants Stadium, etc. etc. etc. - what event (not necessarily one of those!) would you choose, and why?

Keep in mind that you get to be there to witness the event, (and presumably survive through it) so something like the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima isn't really an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

Almost didn't read this topic cos I thought it was about witnness.

Anyhoo, the time/event I would've like to witness is the building of the pyramids. That whole civilisation fascinates me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

i would have to say the whole "Space Race" issue that was between America and Russia in the 1960's..... all the events that lead to the moon landing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

I'd probably gatecrash the last supper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭prenton

I've been watching "24" for tha last few weeks so I'm into government cover ups and conspiracies at the moment. Hopefully the paranoia will stop when this program stops ;)

So the JFK assasination would be my choice. I know its not a single event but I'd like to see the whole build up, who was behind it, who really did shot him, was it a secret agency op or a mafia hit. I'd like to know the whole whys, wheres and whos.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I would LOVE to see a Doors gig and get back stage and hang out with Jim for the night!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

The assasination of Prince Ferdinand or the battle of waterloo.

/me hums "waterloo, dum, dum, dum,dum,dum,dum,Waterlooo........"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd go back to 33AD (ish) and see if all that crucifiction stuff *really* did happen... (and I'd ask for some guy called Barabas to be released - oops!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Go back to the start of the 90s and see the stone roses live.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

Hey pauldeehan - cool sig man!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

actually, mine would be to sail across the atlantic with Columbus

...or maybe to have been at the recording of nirvanas smells like teen spirit video - that woulda been seriously cool :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

moon landing. or in the bunker with hitler as he took his own life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

and I'd ask for some guy called Barabas to be released - oops

rotfl Brilliant Kharn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Panda

I would like to go back and see how they or if they faked the moon landing.
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Alexander The Great's invasion of Persia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Id like to have been there to see that sumbitch Hitler shoot himself. In fact, i would have helped. Apart from that id like to have been there for that drunken night Cameron Diaz and Drew Barrymore slept together. Oh wait, i made that up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i would go back to the moon landing and jump out of the space ship before Neil Armstrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I think it'd be the same as prenton - the JFK assasination, including everything that lead up to it. All the players, all the reasons.

Or, perhaps, Roswell in 1947, to see what really happened..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

i would love to go back to when the whites (brittish spanish, portugese etc..) went on voyages of discovery. Being the first person to see a tiger and stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Originally posted by deco
    Alexander The Great's invasion of Persia
    yeah i was thinking that aswell. That or going back to ancient rome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

london - 1980 .. to see pink floyd play the wall, the greatest live performance ever... being only a few months old at the time i unfortunaly missed it :)

that or 1973 during the dsotm tour.. or 1971 at pompeii... both unbelivably great events..

anything else would probably include seeing any of the following live at thier peak: the doors (the first time they played "The End" in LA, when Morrisson wasn't such a drunk), jeff buckley (probably at sin e, where he pretty much always gave a decent performance, bar the first attempted recording)...or more-recently Bjorks sneak preview of Vespertine in a cathedral in New York..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

sheesh....

I thought yiz'd be a bit more imaginitive! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd like to be in Roswell, New Mexico at whatever time in the 50's just to prove it never happened.

Or at the Nirvana Unplugged gig in NY (1990?).

Or in Italy for Ireland -v- Romania. OMG could you imagine the atmosphere?! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Id go back to the time of the Dinosaurs, when Pangea existed. That would be amazing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Chernobyl to say"Are you sure thats the right button?"
    Burst in to the boardroom of some London record label with an Uzi and an AK in the early 90s where an axis of evil record producers decided they should start up bands including 5 mostly ugly sluts who couldnt sing a note,numerous boybands from our side of the sea and top it all off with the ultimate synthetic high,bands and individuals picked on tv.
    "Die you bastards!!!!!!Im Irish so I think i know a little on how to fire a machinegun!!!"

And music is saved for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

thanks gopher you insired this,

In the aborition clinic when louis walshs mom changed her mind:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

I would like to go back 2 months ago and sort my problems out with the G/F, it's history now, personel history so it counts.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

I'd like to have seen the rumble in the jungle for myself, but i think an oppurtunity like this need to be put ot better use.
    So i'd probably go back to the time when Amazonian women ruled the world! Oh the copius amounts of fun to be had!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

Witness the Birth/Death of Christ,
    The Creation of Life,
    The Battle of Stalingrad,
    And the first time that jacobs got the fig's into the Fig's Rolls.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I would like to have been around during the time of Ceasar and the real Gladiators...when he was betrayed and killed, knowing what I know now...I wonder what would have happened had I been able to prevent his death...hmm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by BEAT
    I would like to have been around during the time of Ceasar and the real Gladiators...when he was betrayed and killed, knowing what I know now...I wonder what would have happened had I been able to prevent his death...hmm...

Ooh ooh...there's one I forgot -
    I remember standing in the Colosseum in Rome and thinking 'It'd be sooo cool to see what went on in here'. That one goes to the top of my list.
    :D

Advertisement