Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISPs and confidentiality

Options
  • 21-05-2002 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

I'm clueless as to the situation with regard to privacy and disclosure of private information.
    Can the Gardai request an email transcript from an ISP and is the ISP obliged to comply ?
    If I've worded this badly, apologies but I hope you know what I mean.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

If the gardai have a search warrant, then yes, the ISP must comply.
    If you're worried about the privacy of your emails, get yourself a webmail account in the US -- it's doubtful that the police will go to all the trouble of getting an international warrant unless you've done something really naughty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

If u are woried about mail use PGP or equivlent....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

If you want to be completely anonymous just buy a cable for your mobile and connect to the net that way. You can use a prepaid sim card. You can't be traced! Only to your local area.

The downside though is that

1. Expensive

2. Slow 14.4kb . Us Irish are use to it anyway:rolleyes:

They can trace a GSM phone to about 7-10 meters depending on how many cells are around you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 obi-1

gsm is not too bad you can only be traced to a certain cell but g3 has gps built in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

With our current GSM phones can they really trace you to within 7-10m? I looked into it before but was told that you could only be traced to you nearest cell. Mind you I have net monitor turned on in my phone and I call up the three nearest cells in my area.

Gps built into the 3g phones is interesting. Why is that? I think its a nice touch but is there a big reason for it that i'm not realising? Other that it being a nice feature for the user?

Yes you can trace a GSM phone to around 10 meters, not just the cell your on. The phone talks to all the cells in range so that when u go out of range u dont lose you conection... its straight forward to take the info from the cells add in the location of each cell and u get an idea of where the phone is.... if u are in an area with only 1 cell u can only be traced toa that cell

The Japanease operators offer a service where u stick a GSM enabled device on a dog, so if u lose the dog there will find it (for a fee) its all web based and extreamly accurate because of the amount of cells over there...

3G has nothing to do with GPS. there 2 diferant things. U could get a 3G handset with a GPS device built in but its not standard. U can get GSM units with GPS built in atm. A number of comapnys in irealnd will fit em to cars so that u can track your drivers or if ure car is stolen

Advertisement