Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital F1

Options
  • 14-05-2002 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

If this is the wrong forum for this topic... SAWWY!
    I want to know what everybody thinks of sky digital's F1 coverage. Bweing very poor <we struggle to pay the Family pack... sob sob (",)> I had been working up towards gettign my first taste of Bakersville at the Monaco GP. After the display Ferrari gave in Austria last weeknd... I'm seriously reconsidering forking out €19.60. So go on... convince me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

just watch it on rte
    it does cost less but you have to put up with the likes of pete collins inflating his own ego all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

Peter Collins is the next Muzza Walker compared to the atrociousness of Declan Quigley! Trying to imagine declan Quigley commentating on the Spanish Grand Processional Prix... doesn't bear thinking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭speedfreak

Yeah I agree, Quigley is absolutely awful. Bit like yer man James who took over from Murray Walker...they're ok to listen to for about 10seconds of pit news but any more than that and it gets painful. We got the F1 interactive once just to see what it was like and I have to say its brill! Its worth getting once just to see it but at €19.60 its just too damn expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I might consider getting it for the Monaco weekend.... if they have one view dedicated to showing the talent on the yachts in the harbour! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

Damo, I wouldn't buy interactive for the race, but if there was a special camera devoted to the "talent" in the yachts, I'd be pressing my red button to order NOW!!!

PS- Even the great Muzza Walker would have found nothing exciting to say about the Spanish Grand Prix, or indeed (forgetting the rubbish at the end) last Sunday's "race"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by CHRISTYG

PS- Even the great Muzza Walker

Why does anyone care about this old fart?
    If you want the best commentary team in F1 then Sky will have your money.

Basically Ben/John make Martin/Murray look very very poor.

/as for "icand", im sure pitlane will feature plenty as it usually does..oh and highlights.

I have frequently heard that the sky commentary team is piss poor. Damon Hill and John Watson; I know they will annoy the hell out of me. Pete Windsor should be insightful though; he is one of the best motorsports journalists around. I'm not a big fan of James Allen... but nobody can diss Muzza in my presence! F1 wouldn't have evolved the way it has without him and even Bernie ecclestone has admitted as much himself.
    But my reason for starting this thread was not to discuss Ferrarigate 3,567 or commentary... I want detrails on just how good the digital feed is. And have Sky rectified the problem where commentary was only available on the super-channel? I am really looking forward to watching the Monaco GP from the Onboard cameras!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

No, I have seen it twice now, and I am impressed.

Matt Lorenzo and Damon Hill, we can all do without, but Ben and John are very good, and the views are brilliant. Now that they have interactive replays, I think I might take another look at the coverage.

They are not your standard camera views from ITV or RTÉ, they are something additional, more cameras at corners etc, and the on-screen data and graphics are very good.

Well first off, your impromptu knowledge of what is available on Digital F1+ is pretty poor. [gasp..as told by a Sky hater]
    Originally posted by Amnesiac_ie
    I have frequently heard that the sky commentary team is piss poor. Damon Hill and John Watson;

First off, there are two commentary teams.
    The "fast and the furious" (ie) Ben Edwards and John Watson.
    Murray, get nothing right Walker may have a great following in the UK but amoungst F1 fans, the Ben+John team is known as the best. John Watson is funny, direct and accurate and Ben is quick, passionate and knows his $hit.

The other guys are not my favourite either, but they consist of Matt Lorenzo (very funny guy), Damon Hill (on sunday) and either Perry Mccarthy or Jeremy Hart, also very good but perry is funnier.

the commentary they provide on Master, Track A, Track B, Data and uhhh..dunno, but it is very relaxed and easier listening.
    The real reason, imo to watch Super is to see interviews with the top names in F1.
    (eg)After Ruebns/Ralf, touch/rub/wink fest in Australia they has interviews with both within minutes.

Ben and John on Super and one other i think.

but nobody can diss Muzza in my presence!

I just did and will continue to contest the old mans "excellence".
    And have Sky rectified the problem where commentary was only available on the super-channel?

What..what?!!
    Th only channel without commentary is the "onboard" for obvious reasons.
    ..and this is the same for Palco, Telepiu blah blah..

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmmm. I might go for one of the races to see what it's like. Can i use DD to get one of the races?

(Chernobyl - Halo on PS2 indeed! Of course, I had to look as curiousity got better of me!:D :D )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

I've often wondered, as I am not a "petrolhead" who is interested in every movement over the weekend, but really is only interested in seeing what the technology can do on race day, why there isn't a one-off race day price for people like me, of whom there must be a lot?

Yeah i agree that the average sports fan deserves a reduced Qualifying/Race rate/ And for us petrolheads... why not a season ticket? I mean, 17 Grand Prixs at €19.60 is over €330... surely somebody willing to fork out for every GP deserves a discount?

*cough* We have a monopoly and most ppl dont know what the competition offers *cough*..hehe ca$h cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭thrillseeker

Weren't Ben and John the two comentators who used to work for Eurosport doing F1 commentaries?

If they are, i'd say they are better than any itv/bbc/rte duo i've heard.

Wasn't F1 on Eurosport in the clear, although interrupted by ads?

Advertisement