Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJ Shadow's New Album

Options
  • 13-05-2002 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭

/me forgets what the title is for the moment.

Heard reports that it is "the deej's" best work to date.

Anyone heard any of it yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just to update - It's called Private Press (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

got it last week. it's pretty good. very varied sound ranging from nice laid back hiphop grooves to squarepusherisms. don't think it's as good as endtroducing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I dont think anything will be as good as Endtroducing.
    The Private Press it's called 18 tracks in total I think with 4 of them being interludes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

got it there earlier today off mr. tibor above.. :)

from the one and a half listens ive given it so far it ranges from what youd expect of shadow (sampling and deep beats, "walkie talkie") to bloody great long dancy numbers ("you cant go home again") to squarepusher/aphex twin style randomnoise/cuts ("monosylabik") to jazzy flanger/poets of rythym numbers ("the 6 day war")..

and imo in each of the ranges except for the former there are already better acts.. anyway...

much less samples than endtroducing, one or two iffy tracks, but overall quite a good collection of tracks.. and ill probably listen to it a few more times (after i get through listening to the rest of the stuff i got recently..)

In all the reviews by fans that I read that was the one complaint that seemed to be present in them all, that he tried to do things with this album that have already been done by other people and that they have done much better jobs at it than him. I'm kinda getting the feeling that he should have stuck to hip-hop more so than trying to make it an eclectic album.
    Having only heard 3 tracks and one of them being an interlude I'm not gonna comment on it yet.
    The song that has a video for it now, I dunno what it's called, it sounds a lot like High Noon to me. Maybe I just to have a proper listen to it but the beats seem similar.
    Anyway if you disregard Endtroducing when reviewing this album it seems to be very well liked.
    I love Product Placement and Brainfreeze, I wonder if he would ever try a studio album like these.
    So from what you have heard is it better than Preemptive Strike?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sugar tortoise

havn't heard it yet, but am looking forward to hearing it (so maybe this post is pointless...) but did hear him in an interveiw say he was trying to move move away from endtroducing with the new album, don't know how true this is, but I'd say it still will be a good listen...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I like it, it obviously doesn't compare to Entroducing but it's nice none the less.

I have to say though, I really, really liked Pre-emptive Strike. I'd put it up there with Entroducing. Anyone else feel the same?

Not really I thought Endtroducing was a lot better. It had the feel of a more complete album. If you stuck extended overhaul onto it instead of the original organ donor I think Endtroducing might have been possibly one of the greatest albums of all time.
    Organ Donor (Extended Overhaul) is probably my favourite shadow song.
    Then again I havent listened to pre-emptive strike in a good while now, maybe I should give it a whirl.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Yea id put pre emptive strike up there with endro too,its trippier i think.Heard the new song and saw the video,imho the video is **** but the song is quite good but sounds more electro which is fine but no real definitive sound as loads of artists use the same electronicy sounds which isnt very good but the music is cool

Totally off topic,get the philip glasss orcestration of icct hedral by aphex twin, if ur familiar witht the original song its far better with real instruments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TommyUnderwear

I saw the new Shadow video and Jesus, it really is a departure from his normal style. Even all his mixes with James Lavelle had his own signature, but this is way out Leftfield. Very very dancy if you ask me. It's gonna take some getting used to, but I am sure I can manage. Any idea of the official release date by the way?

• Advertisement

dont worry too much.. as i said above theres only one or two tracks like that on the album :)

release date is 21/05.

Originally posted by Lorax
    Ahhhhh how can you post about shadow's new album in the 'dance/electronic' section !! it's an insult to his work

Well it is kind of electronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I don't see a Hip-hop/downbeat/breakbeat/triphop/turntablism section here, Lorax. Do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

hehe neil3030 more power to ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

His best work yet? You're the first person i've heard to say that.. there's a general consensus out there that "entroducing...." is his best and he's gotten gradually worse over the years. the stuff is still great, just not as good.

Although, I still have to give private press a good listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lawnkiller

bought the special edition copy yesterday and gave it a spin.

its good, entroducing had a certain "non-digital" feel to it (which i liked). not so with this album (not a bad thing tho - as such). i would liken it to Coldcut's "Let Us Play". u can see influences from all other projects he worked with since entro (eg. UNKLE, handsome boy, quannum, etc.)

the second live CD kicks ass. pity its only one track.

all in all, value for money from young Mr. Davis but possibly not all round album of the year (a d@nm fine album all the same).

Originally posted by Lawnkiller
    all in all, value for money from young Mr. Davis but possibly not all round album of the year (a d@nm fine album all the same).

nah thats Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow :)
    although Mum, BOC and Cinematic Orchestra's respective 2002 releases are all pretty equally worthy of a look-in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 socialretard

Originally posted by Makaveli
    I love Product Placement and Brainfreeze, I wonder if he would ever try a studio album like these.

never gunna happen, because it would costs millions to put out commercially (due to the fact they are playing a crapload of songs they don't have the rights to). both those albums are bootlegs and were only meant to be sold at the cut chemist/shadow shows they played in the states, but funnily enough ended up on ebay, and now the likes of hmv, which could get the both of them in alot of trouble.

Originally posted by Kali

nah thats Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow :)

eh, not a fan. they try a little too hard. check out people under the stairs if you're into the san francisco hip hop underground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

shadow is the king
    he has yet to release a rubbish album,the man himself is real cool aswell.. layed back
    anyway private press i likes alot
    seen him doing it live in london last month
    best gig so far just for pure brillance
    with the hiphop gigs sum mc's cant rap live guru for example
    and with sum dj's they just play hiphop you've heard b4
    but shadow as a dj does his own music
    and thats why i love him so much
    hes coming in august im 80% sure
    dont miss it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

Got the album last week, havent had the chance to sit down and really listen to it, but from what I heard so far it sounds like he has put to together some great tunes yet again!! Shadow is class!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

both those albums are bootlegs and were only meant to be sold at the cut chemist/shadow shows they played in the states, but funnily enough ended up on ebay, and now the likes of hmv, which could get the both of them in alot of trouble.

does this mean that dj shadows new album is available in hmv?

what price is it?

yeah, i've seen it in hmv and tower. don't know how much it is though

brainfreeze and product placement aint bootlegs
    u could just get them at the concerts first than they went onto general release
    sum of them have numbers of them and there the orginal ones
    b4 they came out in the shops ppl were payin 50-60 dollars on e-bay for them

They pressed 600 official copies of Brainfreeze and 1200 of Product Placement IIRC.
    Repli has an original of Brainfreeze. Oh the envy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Took the safe option and bought Entroducing.
    Quite excellent I must say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

/me is a big Shadow fan

Well, Private Press is a bloody excellent album, obviously not quite endtroducing standard, but it is the bst album i've heard this year, i haven't heard the blackalicious album yet.

Any way, back to Pre-Emptive Strike, there were only two tracks from that on Endtroducing, plus the remix of Organ Donor, (the two tracks being What does your soul look like? part 1 and part 4)
    The best track on Preemptive strike imo is What does your soul look like? part 2,

Has anyone actually seen the live in Austin cd in the shops, i've been meaning to order it from hmv.co.uk

yea i seen it when i was in london,not over here yet
    have it on mp3 tis excellent

Advertisement