Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter 2

Options
  • 12-05-2002 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Just wondering but could anyone do Zangiefs (The Russain dude) spinning pile driver thingy. I remember the computer doing it and you would lose half your hp but in all my years of playing it I fluked it once and never again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

seriously this thing is handy to do. the only hard part is getting close enough so that you actually grap on.

i think its one or 2 360's on the joypad and then the punch, ya got a different one with kick or something. just keep making a circle with your left thumb on the joypad, pushing right -> and into them and then the circle over n over and then punch, and it nearly always works. your thumb might get sore if ya keep doin it, but thats always a sign of a agood game!

Ah the good oul D-pad rotational moves...I hated those!!

I remember trying to do Dhalsim's teleport once, but that was another one of those awkward 360s (i think) and that Zangief one...i just saw the move and said, screw that!

I always played as Ryu or Blanka, loved Blanka's cannonball or Ryu's fireball.

The 360 rotation just drove me up the wall, after the 30th time the character just jumped and didn't perform the move...AAARRRGGHHH!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bugs

Zangiefs spinning pile driver is a 360 degree rotation clockwise starting from forward. You don't have to be too close as it has a good bit of range. The move ends when you reach forward and punch (any punch), 3 will kill, but in the mean time you'll be slaughtered by anyone with a brain :)

Dalsim's teleport is forward, down, down-forward (same as a dragon punch) with all three punches to teleport near the oppenent and all three kicks to get away from the opponent. Its easy to do with an arcade setup, not so much with a pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Ah, I remember when I first managed to pull off a Dragon Punch, I was elated!

As for the 360 pile driver thing, i never used it in matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds
    Ah, I remember when I first managed to pull off a Dragon Punch, I was elated!

Forward, Down, Forward-down, Punch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Easy way to do Zangiefs pile driver.
    As im a master at that game :)

Jump in with strong drop kick ,as you land you will be still holding top right ,as soon as you land continue the rotation from there all the was around to top right again and hit punch.
    Its really the only way as i have trouble pulling it off form a standing position and if you do it my way if it dont work at least you might punch him as the drop kick is very powerful.

Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

master of the game eh ha ha, there so many ppl who say that and are crap. :(

now has anyone ever got the full ending? ya had to win every round at the hardest diffculty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I sawa guy do that spining piledriver a couple of times but I could never do it myself, then again I usually played as Blanka or Guile

now has anyone ever got the full ending? ya had to win every round at the hardest diffculty?

Screw that get 1.2 million score :)
    You have to lose in every round to get it and perfects in every other round .
    So all rounds went to 3 ,2 perfects and drain there energy and let em beat you then just for those precious points .
    Do that and you can call your self the Master :)
    Yeah i got the Final ending but in Arcade it was same as others and each verison on consoles had different endings in it.
    SO not sure which ending you on about .
    Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I was a master a SF, I used to enter competitions and such (anyone remember the HMV games comp about 6 years ago:))
    I beat Super street fighter 2 turbo without losing and got gouki. (the part where he beats up bison). That was hard to do.
    Oh and zangiefs piledriver is easy to do.
    Ok hold forward jump, and rotate in the air so that you are just finishing the rotation as you land, then hit Strong. This is nearly 100% proof.
    1.2million pff, someone didn't know their doubles.

• Advertisement

HMV competitions, are you mental. They were hardly competitions, a bunch of morons who wanted to play a game cos they can't afford it.

As far as this "kick in the air" before a pile-driver. How exactly does this work against an opponent who is actually fighting you and not chewing his toe?
    A heavy kick or just a standard uppercut will knock the **** outta zangief, not matter what he uses in the air. Maybe (and i mean maybe) you might have advantage on the snes, but full frame arcade version, zangief is screwed in every possible way.

I'm not near a master (check out the world championship vids at shoryuken.com) but i'd be willing to bet i'm better than most. You can't hope to be much use at the game if you don't know the frame data. Which needs the rom or the arcade, the snes was a hacked up version of the arcade, missing frames everywhere.

Actually a low aimed fierce cannot be blocked if timed right, and that trick works as a double, the second you land you can pile river them before they land using my trick. To beat pros you have to know every double* (standing crouching and jumping) And be able to time jumps so you dont go too high over any character, or a dragon punch will destroy you. Anyway I use Ken mostly.
    And I use arcade machines or the PS

*geek talk:a double is being able to link any move into another without a pause, the easy ones are for eg: a fierce kick into strong dragon punch or light punch into hurricane. Triples were not easy on the original world warriors but are in hyper fighting, thought you could do a light punch, strong hurricane into Fierce Dragon punch very easily in world warriors.

A fierce aimed low..... what???

Nothing in street fighter on its own is unblockable, NOTHING!
    "doubles" or what normal ppl refer to as combo's are neither hard nor skillful. I think most ppl, by accident or otherwise can do uppercut to fireball, same idea, dead simple.

The whole game is about frame advantage, take for example ryu. From what i remember the standard uppercut/dragonpunch causes a 4 frame advantage, so if you connect and its blocked any move that the opponent throws has 4 frames tacked on to it, much like a recovery time.
    It also depends on the strength of the move used. As i said before i'm not nearly a master, but i have seen korean and US players that are in movies and that is the basis for "mastery" of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 leejon

SONIC BOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guile was the man, completed it a number of times with him, what a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Bugs can you explain what you mean by "frames" as I'm confused by your post.

I think everyone is on about diff versions.
    i assumed the original post was SF2 Arcade thats how i did the Piledriver using the strong drop kick and use the momentum to start the spin.
    And get 1.2 million i know 1.3 is possible but i never got it.
    What version is the original post about?
    kdja

Its quite simple really, every single move in pretty much all fighting games is broken down to frames. As in frames per second. Its pretty simple really, if zangief throws a fierce punch and chun-li throws a fierce punch, (bear in mind i dont know the frames off so its just rough), chun-li's will connect first.
    Now street fighter doesn't use recovery that much, but simply explained its extra frame advantage, ie. if you're hit with a heavy kick, it staggers how quick you can hit back, meaning a 15 frame punch becomes a 20 frame punch.

Irregardless, street fighter isn't exactly the most skilled game in the world, they've made it more like tekken and virtua fighter these days but the original isn't exactly a tactical masterpiece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Frames are like the unit of time in animations of moves, as in when you do a strongpunch to dragonpunch with Ryu/Ken it takes less time than the sum of time the two moves take to complete independently, hence less frames (I think :)).

combos != doubles, and combo is a move which is two or more moves after each other which hit in quick succession, a double is a move that can stop the animation of any move and then do another move, you can shave time of the time of your moves with this, and then these moves can be combo'ed, you can kill someone in five seconds with these moves if timed right, so i guess its nearly the same idea as knowing your frame times.

Oh and say a low jump kick is blocked by a crouching block (which cant be blocked by a standing block if its low enough) a double could link in a standing mid punch, which will give no time for the opponent to stand up, and if you know you rmoves, a close range standing strong punch will hit a crouching blocked player.
    And its not knowing how to do one simple double, its knowing how to do them all in any situation.

Im bored of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 GIME

Did anyone ever pull off or see Balrogs one hit punch? I did it once by accident against mike bison. He jumped inthe air, spun around and boxed bison in the face and i instantly won. Its suppose to make the opponent lose all hp in one go. I also heard of a secret move for guile involving hancuffs but that may be just a rumour.

• Advertisement

I remember you could charge it for a long time and it would take away alot of health.

Guile had one "secret" glitch in SF2 .
    I think it was jump in with Strong kick as you land do the upside down HARD KICK then do a sonic boom whilst kicking he would freeze in midair and Zangief and Vega couldtn hit him they just stood away hitting nothing.
    That was the handcuffs move.
    balrogs move was hold all 3 punches the longer you held the more it hurt.
    never held it that long :)
    kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Thanks Bugs & Littletinyman for clearing up that Frames issue for me. Very interesting (No sarcasm intended)

The freeze is basically what was said before, the handcuffs was just another buggy animation freeze where it looked like guile had someone in handcuffs.
    I'll be buggered if i can remember how to do them. Just look up an faq. It was funny to do it to ppl who hadn't a clue in the arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

remember the whole "Shen Long hidden in the game" fiasco :)

Oh, and the hacked versions (Rainbow Edition etc)

Hacked versions r00led.
    Lemme see, there was:
    Black belt edition
    rainbow edition

bah, can't remember them damn it.
    Either way, full screen dragon punches and everyone being able to throw multiple heat seeking fireballs and morph mid match into other characters was the name of the game :)
    I still have them all in emu at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Rainbow edition kicked ass I plyed it onvce over in england the double fire balls didn't leave much competion.

I think that's the first time I've ever heard of "doubles" in the game a combo is a combo!

My personal favourite is the "trebler" a string punch leading straight into a flaming dragon punch with ken, but it eventually turned into a four hitter or more as the game evolved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's strange that no beat em up since street fighter 2 has ever come close to being as good as it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

SF 2 rules but Tekken 3 has a hell of a lot more depth to it

saying that i always picked Ken and my friend alweays picked ryu and the matchs would last weeks on end, you have got to love the really fast turbo mode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    It's strange that no beat em up since street fighter 2 has ever come close to being as good as it.

Streett fighter 3 bettered it by far. To bad all the permutations and combinations of Ex Plus Alpha Capcom Marvel SNK Double Extra Esspresso With Cheese Version 2.0 made its release a lot less hyped and clouded from the mainstream public.

Advertisement