Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What if ...

Options
  • 11-05-2002 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

What if i hadn't of done that, and did this instead. Whatever i do i end up thinking about this afterwards, wether its to do with members of the opposite sex who i'd rather be more then friends with or just a simple conversation where i felt i said something i should and wished i could go back and change it.

Does anyone else have this problem of over analysing things ?
    Would anyone who used to have this problem but managed to get over it care to inform me as to how i can get over this as its really rather annoying.

Thanks in advance,

Moll

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I assume everyone is like that at certain points. I know I am, regarding everything, sport, school etc, but especially women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I've only ever really done this about one thing, or one person more accurately, and it was more a by-product of thinking about her for extended periods of time than anything else. I wouldn't sit down after every conversation with her and analyse things I'd said or anything like that, but in the course of thinking about her and the situation, I'd inevitably realise I'd said/done the wrong thing at certain points or misenterpreted something or other, things like that.

It's a nasty feeling when you do realise you've said/done completely the wrong thing, kept me up till all hours when it was something which I thought was pretty major.

Outside of this one thing I'm very easy-going and I'd tend to just do whatever feels right at the time and not worry about it afterwards.

Incidentally though, things between myself and herself have been dead and buried for a while now, but I still found myself last week thinking that I'd said the wrong thing while talking to her in school that day, and it was very minor, but it still got to me a bit. It's just a side of me that she can bring out, overthinking things etc...... which is a bit of a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Mills: you put that very well, I'm in exactly the same position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Rex Harrison wrote a famous song about this called....
    "Windmills of your mind"

Of course we all do it but there does reach a point where this behaviour becomes unhealthy:eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by 80project
    Of course we all do it but there does reach a point where this behaviour becomes unhealthy:eek:

when you get to that point, you remind yourself that the past is the past and you can't change it now, so file it and use it to remind you that next time you will do better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The best way to not think is to just keep yourself busy. I have found that with all this late night studying (and all day) i have been doing that once i get home and have some food i am asleep before my head hits the pillow. The cool thing about this is that you don't get time to think

Advertisement