Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car-van NCT loophole?

Options
  • 10-05-2002 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Is it true that car vans that are taxed private are exempt from nct and doe tests?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Only for the moment. The NCT testers's strike last year gave them a huge backlog, c. 40,000 vehicles, so privately owned cars and vans can get their tax without NCT until the backlog is more or less cleared. Lucky that.

:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Jeez and I was wondering why my car which is 5 years old hasnt been called for the NCT yet.. thats possibly why.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sham

But if u have a car-van u should try and have it taxed as a commercial cos teh DOE is a lot easier to pass than the nct..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Sham
    But if u have a car-van u should try and have it taxed as a commercial cos teh DOE is a lot easier to pass than the nct..
    Won't your insurance then be "commercial"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sham

amm yea i think so mine is but then i'm down as an aprentice carpenter..

The ntc can be a balls cos its all done by the book (which in some cases means doing very stupid stuff like taking out filters or tuning down engines so much they cant even drive off the rollers) but the doe seems to have a more realistic system..

• Advertisement
Advertisement