Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fav American Punk Rock Band

Options
  • 10-05-2002 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

I know i left out loads but of the groups up there who's your favourite and why?

Bomb

Who? 22 votes

Bad Religion
    4% 1 vote
    Pennywise
    18% 4 votes
    NoFx
    22% 5 votes
    Blink 182
    13% 3 votes
    Sum 41
    31% 7 votes
    Offspring
    4% 1 vote
    GreenDay
    4% 1 vote

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I voted GreenDay-Probably cos IMO they are the most original and their stuff doesnt all sound the same .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

pennywise are the the best punk(rock?) band ever

• Registered Users Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The Vandals - so many great, great songs and plenty of variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Not listed, but I'd have to go for the Dead Kennedys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

You forgot to mention any punk bands. But thats an old beated to death debate!!!!!!!

The Misfits get my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Ramones anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Dead Kennedys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

The Ramones amd Black Flag. Unless you mean Favourite **** American Punk Rock Band, and in that case, a couple of those bands shouldn't be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

i really wanted to vote greenday , but some one sang a blink 182 tune to me once so i had to go with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Seeing as nobody bothered to Mention AFI.

/me makes mention of AFI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Why is there no actual punk bands in this poll?

Because they left out AFI?

Bad Religion are punk.
    As are Pennywise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Either Sex Pistols, Misfits, and which ever band wrote "Down on the Farm" (what a class song!)

Where are the Misfits, Dead Kennedys, Ramones as has been mentioned.

It could probably be argued that the stranglers might have a shot in there if greenday and blink182 are there. christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

look at the genre of bands, its all american punkrock/pop just pick a damn band in the category!!!!!!! make your own poll with the bands you are all listing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

The Stranglers and the Pistols were British, goddammit!!

I'd have to go with the Ramones with the Dead Kennedys a close second, and honorable mentions going to Black Flag, the Voidoids, the Heartbreakers and the Dead Boys. Can't really count Blondie, Television, Patti Smith Group, Suicide or the New York Dolls as punk... any more than you can count most of the bands on the poll.... hey, I'm getting a distinct feeling of deja vu here!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Don't like the choices. Most of them aren't punk.

Anyways, forced to pick, Bad Religion. UK-punk bands more interesting debate, Sex Pistols. Mmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Saboteur

None of these bands are Punk. And anyone that claims they are, should have their eyes poked out with a blunt stick. They are only MTV crap. Bring back '77. Or else check out 'Discharge', who were probably one of the best Punk bands ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Urgh, So basically, if a band who labels itself a punk rock band, is on MTV, popular, has a large fan base, and sells loads of records, then they aren’t punk, but "MTV Crap"...same old boring nu-metal argument coming through... :[.
    I think the hardcore Punk bands there are NOFX, Pennywise, and Bad Religion...Although I like all bands on the list, went for NOFX, cos I’m gonna get to see em at Leeds in August :].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

LADS YER ALL GONE MAD....
    blink 182 are the best band in d world of punk rock notin can reach them really
    !!:D
    listen to the lyrics not just the music!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Where are the Misfits, Dead Kennedys, Ramones as has been mentioned.

It could probably be argued that the stranglers might have a shot in there if greenday and blink182 are there. christ.

DAETH TO FALES PUNK!!!

I should really shove this in Dustaz's face next time he wants to have a go at anyone for being narrowminded, and pidgeonholing by saying "No! That's not *real* metal." Way to be a hipocrite, Dusty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 empathy

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    The Vandals - so many great, great songs and plenty of variation.

Exactly what i was thinking, i just looked at the poll and went 'Why aren't The Vandals there?!'

hillariously funny lyrics aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 empathy

any while i'm here, this was obviously just a 'new punkrock poll' so there's no point everybody getting so thick about all the classics being missing....

on another kindof related note, 'kicks out the jams' by the MC5's is just an awesome song. :p

So why didn't they label the poll "Fav American New Punk Band" then?

By the way, if you like the MC5, check out the Bell Rays - the MC5 if they'd recruited one of the sisters from the Black Panthers on vocals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Hmmm...American punk surely an oxymoron

Originally posted by AngelWhore

DAETH TO FALES PUNK!!!

I should really shove this in Dustaz's face next time he wants to have a go at anyone for being narrowminded, and pidgeonholing by saying "No! That's not *real* metal." Way to be a hipocrite, Dusty.

oh shut up. blink182 are about as close to punk as kylie and you know it.

Originally posted by Dustaz

oh shut up. blink182 are about as close to punk as kylie and you know it.

And Limp Bizkit are about as close to metal as Britney. So where's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Kim Tae-Woo

Dead Kennedys are cool.

Well

That's a dreadful Poll

Now I don't have a dictionary definition for the word punk, but
    GreenDay and Blink are not punk.

More like "Pop"ular music

was that popular-punk or electro-punx?

Originally posted by deco
    Hmmm...American punk surely an oxymoron

Not at all, the Americans invented punk (New York Dolls, CBGBs scene), which was then adapted by the British punk scene. In fact, Malcolm McLaren admits he stole the ripped t-shirt and spiky hair look from Richard Hell. (But the NY Dolls were influenced by the Stones, who were influenced by Amrerican blues and R&B, so it's an ever-spiraling circle of influences).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

I think the point I was trying to make is that, with a few exceptions namely Dead Kennedys and the Ramones, most American Punk bands tend to verve towards the bad....best punk bands in my opinion were British.

Advertisement