Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus Warnings

Options
  • 07-05-2002 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Am i the only one who thinks that a little common sence could avoid the need for virus warnings in the first place
    And most of these "E-mail Viruses " which should be classed as worms/trojan hose type programs have a common factor a dumb message from someone you know or dont.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Microsoft Internet Explorer
    There was an internal error and one of the windows you were using will be closed.
    OK

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

[ Regi's windows box blows. ]

I think that it could go farther than any virus checker ever could. I assume you are objecting to the virus warnings on this board? (I'm not keen on them either, might nuke them ... )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

I think common sense is all you need really.
    I got a couple of viruses the other day in my mail from people I don't know.The AV program installed, n0rt0n AV which is updated, didn't/couldn't detect that they were in fact, viruses.
    So, if I had have been stupid enough to trust the scanner, i'd have been run over by these 2 programs without knowing about what damage was done.
    What would you say is a good AV scanner these days?
    I've been told Kaspersky Antivirus http://www.kasperskylabs.com is good, but I don't have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Standard acceptable files in emails are generally pictures, sild shows, excel sheets (disable macros), and word docs. Any out side of this should be ignored and just deleted. I dont think that anyone would ever have the need to send executable files of anykind. So a bit of cop can go along way.

I get quite a volume of email and i get the odd virus, but by simply just deleting them when they have .com/.exe/.pif/scr and so on file extensions you run a 95% chance of never been infected by a virus. (figures are made up, but are applicable).

Just use your head and ull never need any fancy anti virus software.

Regards,

Paul

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

On the subject of viruses I have a question.I sent an email to a hotmail account last week,the email was returned because it said that it contained a .scr/or .pif extension and could contain a possible virus even though there were no attached files,or forwarded files and it was sent from a webmail account to the hotmail account.
    I have done a full scan but cant find anything.I update my virus signatures regularly but this has not shown up anything.
    Any one any Idea why this mail keeps returning to me.Ive tried 10 times in the last week to send the mail.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

Maybe you should use winzip or winrar, some compression utility with the files you want to send, or change the extension of the files?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im not actually sending any files-just a short message from a webmail account.
    Its still happening but only when I send to a HOTMAIL account.And they`re still bouncing back to me with a message saying "this mail cannot be processed because it contains a file with the extension .pif/.scr which is deemed to be a virus threat"even though there are no files attached to the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

All modern anti-virus software can scan inside archives execept
    password ones but when you extract or try and run the contents (it is extracted to temp) the Av-Software hooks execution and can stop it being run but again common sence

Advertisement