Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Seinfeld' leads list of TV Guide's best shows

Options
  • 05-05-2002 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

Found here
    It just goes to show, less is more...
    April 29, 2002 Posted: 12:55 PM EDT (1655 GMT)

"Seinfeld," starring comedian Jerry Seinfeld, led TV Guide's list of the 50 best shows of all time.

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- It was facetiously billed as the "show about nothing," but the editors of TV Guide rank the NBC smash comedy hit "Seinfeld" as the greatest television show of all time.

The 1990s show starring comedian Jerry Seinfeld as a New York comedian hanging out with three of his pals -- Elaine, George and Kramer -- topped TV Guide's list of the 50 most entertaining or influential television series in American pop culture.

The list, appearing in next week's issue, will get the countdown treatment in an ABC special on May 13, "TV Guide's 50 Best Shows of All Time," part of the magazine's celebration of its golden anniversary.

The 50 entries, chosen and ranked by TV Guide editors, consist of regularly scheduled series spanning more than a half century of television, going as far back as NBC's pioneering live comedy/variety program, "Your Show of Shows."

That show, which debuted in 1950 starring Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca, was ranked No. 30.

TV movies, miniseries and specials were not eligible.

Prime time accounts for most of the shows, though a few daytime programs made the list -- NBC's "Today" (No. 17) and the syndicated talk shows "Donahue" (No. 29) and "The Oprah Winfrey Show" (No. 49).

On the late-night front, the CBS "Late Show with David Letterman" got the highest ranking, at No. 7, beating out even NBC's "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" (No. 12). Letterman's arch rival -- and Carson's successor -- Jay Leno, failed to make the cut. ABC's "Nightline" ranked 23rd.

NBC dominated the list with 17 shows, which, besides "Seinfeld," ranged from "Saturday Night Live" at No. 10 to the Judd Hirsch sitcom "Taxi," which also aired on ABC, at No. 48.

CBS made the list with 16 shows, led by "I Love Lucy" at No. 2, and boasted five other programs in the top 10, including "The Honeymooners" (No. 3), "All in the Family" (No. 4), "60 Minutes" (No. 6) and "The Andy Griffith Show" (No. 9).

A total of eight ABC shows made the list, led by the late-1980s, early '90s drama "thirtysomething, while Fox had two entries -- animated sitcom satire "The Simpsons" at No. 8 and sci-fi thriller "The X-Files" at No. 37.

The only other cartoon series to make the list was ABC's "Rocky and His Friends" at No. 47.

Cable television was represented by just two shows -- mob drama "The Sopranos" at No. 5 and Garry Shandling's "The Larry Sanders Show" at No. 38, both on HBO.

Public TV also had two series on the list -- the landmark children's program "Sesame Street" (No. 27) and the pioneering 1973 "reality" series "An American Family" (No. 32). But modern-day reality hit "Survivor" was snubbed, as were all game shows. Not even "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" made the list.

The fledgling networks the WB and UPN had to settle for one shared entry, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," which has aired on both outlets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Good call that - it's one of the few shows I'll go out of my way to watch

With quotes (and tips for life:D) like:
    [Answering a telephone salesman] I'm sorry,
    I'm a little tied up now. Give me your home number and
    I'll call you back later. Oh…you don't like people
    calling you at home? Well, now you know how I feel.
    how could you say no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

OMG Seamus,

go look at this reply of mine on the Seinfeld Forum... ( the 2nd one)
    http://sony4.infopop.net/3/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=184297717&f=972291627&m=8502966274

Freeaaakky !!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Just proves fools seldom differ:D

That one stuck with me though, as a perfect example of something I'd like to do (even brought it up at home when my dad mentioned that Eircom called last week wanting to know if he'd like ISDN)

Other worthy aims obviously include refusing my mail and going out with Helen Slater

I've sold a few people on the show (though I only started watching it about two years ago (reruns are great)), especially with the idea that the first joke in an episode is often linked with the last joke - so much so that the first conversation in the first episode is George and Jerry talking about a button. Last conversation in the last episode is the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Seinfeld, to make a program with no episode to episode structure with subjects on a whim and still make it funny.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

One of my favorites was when Goerge kept going to work, as they were trying to make him quit, because they couldn't fire him, he was on contract. They boarded up his office, and he went in through the vents. :D Classic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    One of my favorites was when Goerge kept going to work, as they were trying to make him quit, because they couldn't fire him, he was on contract. They boarded up his office, and he went in through the vents. :D Classic.

I love that one too :)
    Its episode 158 called "The voice"

FYI, the ultimate seinfeld episode guide can be found here.
    Nice little synopsis of each ep :)

Advertisement