Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL in Shannon

Options
  • 02-05-2002 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Just phoned Esat Business.
    Apparently, DSL should arrive in Shannon sometime in September.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RFHost

I rang them a few days ago enquiring about the Galway area and they said August!! I would'nt get your hopes up though. They told me I had to be 3Km from Mervue and am probably between 5-10km from there. Is it just me or does 3Km seem very small. I know DSL is very fussy about distance but I thought the range was more like 5-7Km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by RFHost
    Is it just me or does 3Km seem very small. I know DSL is very fussy about distance but I thought the range was more like 5-7Km.
    The limit is around 6km of good copper, but you have to take into account that the cables in the ground don't go in a straight line from your house to the exchange. Plus a lot of our local loop is substandard wire for the task at hand, though fine for voice and a 9600 baud modem.

Some implementations of SDSL (there's no official standard yet AFAIK) reach about 20% further than ADSL while IDSL will go just as far as ISDN since that's pretty much all it is - nearly 15km.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by RFHost
    Is it just me or does 3Km seem very small. I know DSL is very fussy about distance but I thought the range was more like 5-7Km.

yeah, that 3Km distance from the exchange is a joke, its nothing. I was driving along there to work the other day, reset the milage and before I got to the end of the street, it was saying .6 miles which is just about 1 Km...

I'm just over 3Km away from my exchange (driving) so its pretty frustrating to be failing the dsl tests :(

Thousands of customers are going to be lost, espeically in rural areas because of this distance issue :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by longword
    while IDSL will go just as far as ISDN since that's pretty much all it is - nearly 15km.

15Km, are you sure? I taught isdn's limit was 6Km?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by ando
    15Km, are you sure? I taught isdn's limit was 6Km?
    Without help yes it's 6km, but repeaters can be used to extend its reach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

Eircom have just been on the phone:
    According to them, 2 exchanges in Shannon Airport, 3 in Shannon Town Center and 2 in Ennis will be "DSL enabled" by the end of March.

This time, I won't be holding my breath....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I know in the US the distance DSL is used on can be around 10km. I think Esat and Eircom are playing it safe...Esat's limit is 2.5km....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

I'd say people using ADSL at 10km from the exchange are probably really using RADSL (as in Rate Adaptive DSL) like what Eircom are allegedly going to offer as a residential product here.

Advertisement