Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it me or are the simpsons getting less funny?

Options
  • 30-04-2002 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

I mean whats the dael with that??? the new episodes are just not as funny as the older ones????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

I hope they cancel it soon, the old episodes are great, but if they continue it it's reputation will lower and lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I find that when you see the simpsons the second time round they are usually funnier anyway.

Havent seen any of the real new ones so i cant compare.

But the simpsons are still very good, but how long can they last really they've been going 13 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

definitly but, mostly with the new ones there is a few funny gags at the satrt then it seems like they just stop trying!! it sucks i want the old funny simpsons back!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Duh. But it beats seeing the same episodes (as brilliant as they are) for the 249th time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeah, it used to slag shows that had horrible storylines such as : the x family are going to africa. But now they have fallen into that trap. An the jokes are getting more and more obscure. I'll still watch it though. Better than mst stuff on the tele.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yea, the Simpsons have defenly gone down in funnyness, the reason being that new writers have taken over the company.. most of the things on the Simpsons are based on slagging off US TV shows, that we don't see, but there are some classic bits in the new ones though.. sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

i stopped watchin the new episods a couple of years ago when i lost sky, i used to see the odd one in my mates houses and im glad i didnt c the new ones. i watch the old ones on net2 and there still classic! the jokes now seem very half assed, i suppose u run out of ideas after 13 series'.

did u notice it went really downhill when greoing started to do futerama.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I heard a few of the original scriptwriters were sent off to concentrate on Futurama? Not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Its fall from grace has made me cringe on many occasions

Homer enters room.
    Me: Oh yes, homer is bound to say something funny.
    Homer:Lets start a website and end up on an island.

It is trying to out family-guy the family guy with its surrealism, and the worst bit is they acknowledge it. On several of the newer episodes at the end one of the characters turns to the screen and talks about how stupid the episode was
    THATS NOT FUNNY

Its a shame because the older episodes will go down in history as the epitomy of the 90s humour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭EL_Diablo

There are a lot more hidden and less obvious jokes in the new ones I've noticed. Jokes you only notice when you see the episode a couple of times.
    And some of its desperation episode turn out to be really good some times. Take Behind the Laughter for example I thought that was a really funny episode consistent gags, decent gags and it was really original.
    So it is going downhill but there are the odd good ones which live up to the simpsons good name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I'd agree with that sentiment, it's still funny, just not up to the same standard as it was back a few years, which would be pretty hard to keep up in fairness. The new episodes are still pretty clever, they just don't make me laugh out loud, at all, unlike the older ones, some of which had me in stitches.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Afaik it is now in its last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

According to this story, even Matt Groening doesn't seem to know when its going to end. Taking into account the tongue in his cheek, it still sounds like (a) he's sick of it, and (b) it's not entirely his decision. As far as I know, they keep signing contracts for more seasons....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

They should have killed the show off 5 years ago after Colon O'Brien decided that it was funnier to look at his hairpiece rather than what he had written in the form of a teleplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

it certenly looks like its close to the end of the road for them!!!

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-10354622,00.html :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

"The Simpsons are going to Delaware!"
    "I want to visit a screen door factory!"

Kill it. Before it does more harm.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Even at its worst, it's still more entertaining than most of the crap dished up by TV stations!!!

But yeah, it is slowly running outta steam....only so many places in the world the Simpson family can go.

Greenland, Lichtenstein and New Zealand are the only ones they haven't been to that I can think of from the top of my head ;)

edited for clarification ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭retneil

Note of information: the writers of the simpsons are thrown out and new ones are brought in after 3 - 5 months. They believe the creativity is lost so they dump the writers every few months..
    Bar mr groening i expect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

retneil can you send me a pm with your email address pls? Have you not got my PM's?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

I'd have to disagree with everyone on this one. I think the new Simpsons episodes are the funniest ever. The Simpsons are going to Africa was the funniest thing I've ever seen on telly, next to the tps episode in South Park - the nearest I've ever come to actually pissing myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I've found that i've been dissapointed by new episodes on Sundays for years - its the repeat viewings that make me realise their actually still good. Nothing is as rewatchable as the Simpsons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Originally posted by BuffyBoy

Greenland, Lichtenstein and New Zealand are the only ones I can think of offthe top of my head ;)

Eh?The Simpsons,either on their own or as a whole family,have only ever went to Africa,Canada,Hong Kong,Japan,Homers tulip eating Holland visit,and,of course,the infamous Brazil episode.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

There was some implied sarcasm there - I didn't take time out to count ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hobbitkiller

I haven't watched very many of the newer episodes as I have worked till 6 every sunday for the last year but the simpsons are definitly becoming what they once Satirized, you only need look at the new bart simpon cereal, Bartiho's or something like that

Advertisement