Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E4 to Show Irish Ads From May 1

Options
  • 28-04-2002 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭

C4 are launcing a seperate version of E4 for Ireland on May 1. It will be like Sky One and Sky News with Irish Ads. The Irish version will replace the UK version on NTL Digital. Will they do the same on Sky Digital?

Source: Sunday Tribune

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭Genghis

I read this too in the Sunday tribune, and the Sunday Business Post. It seems that this may become C4's strategy for taking additional revenue from ROI. I wonder does this kill off any chance of seeing the C4 channel on Sky?

E4 is not great, I would say that it 'sounds' better than it is in reality - in other words, I thought it was going to be great, but when I got it, it wasn't.

It also seems NTL is ditching TV5 to fit it in - an unpopular move, I would've thought. Yet another opportunity for Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

wonder does this kill off any chance of seeing the C4 channel on Sky

I would say it increases the chances. If C4 launched an Irish version of E4 there is a high chance they will launch an Irish version of C4.
    It also seems NTL is ditching TV5 to fit it in - an unpopular move, I would've thought

Are you mad? Read the thread on this in the cable/MMDs forum. E4 is way more popular than TV5 Europe.
    Yet another opportunity for Sky
    AFAIK, Sky still hasnt put TV5 on their package. Besides, TV5 is on NTL Digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭Genghis

Originally posted by Fungus

Are you mad? Read the thread on this in the cable/MMDs forum. E4 is way more popular than TV5 Europe.

As a hatter, but I can't see how that has anything to do with this!!! I mean that NTL caused uproar when they moved TV5 off their analogue service. At the time they promised it would be available as part of their digital package. Now they are taking it away, and I suspect there is a contingent of viewers that subscribed to digital just so they could get Tv5 back. Put all this on top of decisions such as moving national geographic and eurosport, and you have three negative stories in a short period of time.

Surely they could've found a less useless channel to boot off, that's my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

E4 isnt great but it will get alot more viewers than TV5 ever did.

Now I thought I determined who is or isn't mad around here:D
    I would expect Ch 4 to launch in ROI with separate ROI advertising.
    They already have regional versions around the UK for regional advertising.
    I expect this would be justified for ROI also given their market share in ROI as a percentage of all homes is higher than Sky one.
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ray Woodward

Originally posted by Fungus
    C4 are launcing a seperate version of E4 for Ireland on May 1.

That would explain why they've been changing the Channel 4 transponder parameters around this past week then ...

Reception of Channel 4 in the UK (and E4) has been bad at times whilst they were messing around ...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Originally posted by madman
    I would expect Ch 4 to launch in ROI with separate ROI advertising.

Disagree. There is already quite a bit of ROI advertising on Channel 4 NI (though not as much as UTV). Being the only channels that can offer the "All-Ireland" advertising market is a big selling point for C4NI and UTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

Being the only channels that can offer the "All-Ireland" advertising market is a big selling point for C4NI and UTV.

Then maybe they will do both. When I in the US, I noticed that a lot of the major channels there for 1/2 the ad break showed ads from companies that wanted to target the entire USA and then the other 1/2 for people who only wanted to target a local audience. A similar model might work for Channel4/UTV

Originally posted by icdg
    Disagree. There is already quite a bit of ROI advertising on Channel 4 NI (though not as much as UTV). Being the only channels that can offer the "All-Ireland" advertising market is a big selling point for C4NI and UTV.

I was thinking about that today.
    A lot of the ROI adds that are on UTV and Ch 4 are for products on sale there.The companies that produce them are southern based, but their adds on UTV and ch4 reach into the south as a matter of course.
    I was just thinking that, considering Ch 4 are regionalised across the U.K, that the marginal extra expense of another mux would allow them to aggresively market in the South.
    What version of Sky one is available on Sky digital in NI, by the way?
    If the advertising on that is different to ROI, then logic would say that this is the road to go.
    If not my argument/expectation doesn't apply.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Originally posted by Charles Slane
    The BBC will definitely want money from Sky to make their channels available, while UTV and Channel 4 will probably have to pay money to Sky to have their channels seen.

So the equation would mean that UTV and Channel 4 would have to gain more money through extra advertising in the republic than they spend on the EPG placement (and possibly programme rights).

The one thing that being on the Irish EPG would really benefit both would be targetted advertising. Both channels are already very popular in the republic, and Channel 4 already has regional advertising opt-outs.

Would it be worth UTV and Channel 4's while to spend money on Irish advertising opt-outs of both their channels ??

Quoting myself from a post on the "Campaign" thread from 14/02/02.

Southern Irish ad opt-outs would be very easy for Channel 4 and UTV, and would probably be very worthwhile financially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Is there any truth in the rumour that C4 and ITV will be joining RTE on the ROI EPG @ 10.744 GHZ on 2 of the 3 free channels???:confused:

Originally posted by shinobi
    Is there any truth in the rumour that C4 and ITV will be joining RTE on the ROI EPG @ 10.744 GHZ on 2 of the 3 free channels???:confused:
    Could be??
    I'm interested to hear where you heard that rumour though??
    I'm interested in how all rumours propegate....
    Then we know if they are based in fact....
    Or just something that like rolling stones gathering moss have no basis in fact at all...
    mm

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Could it be possible that it is NTL, not C4, who are having optout adverts for e4 in ROI (in which case, it would exclude SD version)? AFAIK, they did this with other channels?

As for the RTE tp, who has it leased? Sky or RTE? I was under impression that RTE has leased it in which case UTV and C4 would not be on it. Besides, why would they need another position? Just give us NI feed like BBC1 and 2.

Though, maybe those rumours about UTV and C4 on SKY in early May are true?! :rolleyes: I sure hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Things so far seem to be coming to a conclusion, ITV Digital Taking a turn for the worst.....UTV wanting to go on the irish epg....It seems more than a roumor, Imagine the revenue they'd make from adverts alone! PS Did anyone see the news tonight on ITV Digital tonight!

Advertisement