Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marshall amp Problem

Options
  • 28-04-2002 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

I have a Marshall MG80 RCD 80 watt amp.
    Lately during practise when on distortion (Im using a marshall footswitch which came with the amp) after around 30 seconds or so the volume falls to a really empty sound which is drowned out by the rest of the instuments. It comes back then goes off etc.
    Its not the tubes in the amp cause a guy in Music Maker says that amp doesnt have tubes in it.

Can anyone tell me what to do or has anyone the same problem?

Thanks,
    Conor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 morph1998

not sure off hand..Is the clean channel OK..if so you could use a distortion box on the clean channel..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

My singer had a problem like this. Try turning down the dry effect and reverb knobs, if you have them. I think he has a similar amp. Could work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I think I know the problem! If its the same problem my friend had, it's the footswitch!

See if it works OK without the footswitch. If it does, then it's just crappy wiring inside the footswitch. It's a thing with Marshall footswitches, so just get that fixed.

My friend said that his dad managed to fix it himself so I'm not sure how hard/easy it is to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

footswitchs are easy to fix, theres not much to 'em. Just the switch, two wires, a resistor and LED, Probably a dry joint, if indeed the problem is the footswitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Conor20

Thanks! I'll have a look inside the footswitch although I'm not great with electronics/wireing.

Conor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Yeah I had the same thing myself. You probably have a valvestate if that's what they guy in the shop was on about.

Just open it up and replace it with a standard switch.....that's what I did.

Advertisement