Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Disc Failure

Options
  • 24-04-2002 3:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

I recently attempted to play a dvd movie I own only to have PowerDVD 4 say:

"Unable to recognize or communicate with the drive.

Please check whether your drive is installed properly and try again later."

I thought my drive was at fault but I tried four other dvds and they played flawlessly.

When i played the bad disc in another software player (windows generic dvd player) I got a picture but there was alot of corruption in the image and the sound stuttered badly, eventually causing the computer to lock up.

Any ideas/solutions would be appreciated. I'm of the opinion that the disc has become physically damaged in some way, looks fine though.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Look at the inside hub of the disc is there 1.watermark type defect.
    2 a small indentation on the ring looks like a crack but isnt
    3 if you hold it to the light can you see a kind of clouding effect.
    if you see any of the above disc is fukked bring it back (if possible)
    say its defected.
    That would cause distorted images and general playback issues.
    Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Well, I honestly cant see anything wrong with the disc surface, but i reinstalled just about everything I could and the problem persists, so I reckon the disc is gone. Hope this doesnt happen to other dvd's :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

try copying the dvd to your hard disk if you have enough space.. just to see if you can copy the files.. if not then chances are its the disk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Did you buy the disc from a reputable DVD shop?I believe:D that if it's a copied version that it's possible that the protection software like macrovision could cause this effect

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

That might be the problem. It may have one of thoese you cant read me in a pc things on it. It would be stupid to stick one of thoese onto a DVD though as a lot of ppl watch them on there pcs (I took the advantage of investing in a full DVD home cinema kit though.)

Oh. if you bought it from a man in a big trench coat. That may explain the problem. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement