Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Worst Car You Ever Owned...

Options
  • 23-04-2002 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Okay many here just arn't old enough to have bought more than one car, but hey that may still be a dog! Whats the car you were most glad to sell-on, see crashed or scapped?

For me it was a 1986 Isuzu Aska 2.0 TD, it was big and black and
    I bought it winter daylight (error!) I quickly discovered the rot
    that lay beneath and the noisy/worn fuel injectors and that
    it lay down a great cloud when accellorated from low speed and that when changing gear (nice action) I sometimes hit my hand off the handbrake lever, the rear left light cluster kept filling with water, so I drilled a discreet hole near the bottom. What else?
    The boot seal did'nt, the front fogs were shot - hell it was a wreck they saw me comming! Luckily I manged to get rid and to someone who lived 80 miles away without taking too much of a bath on it.

That's my learning curve whats yours?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

My current one (my first car) is a '91 Fiesta. Mechanically it's sound which is quite surprising since I used to share it with my brother and he used to abuse the .... out of it. The bit between the bonnet and the bumper fell off - a common fault with Fiestas - and it looks like the bonnet will fly open at any moment. It's been crashed into while parked outside my house 3 times, as well as having being scrathed loads of times in the CIT car park. It's so old now I don't bother getting the cosmetic damage repaired.

The worst thing wrong with it is one of the rear doors and recently the boot won't open!

Used to drive a Corsa before it and that was a POS. It would never start in the rain, or the cold, or if it was too hot.....or if it was Tuesday. It flooded at the drop of a hat and the brakes were so bad they were the end of it. The brother wrote it off in an accident with a van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

My first car was a 1988 Fiat Uno Fire. All 998cc. Nippy up to 12mph and it shook the earth after 55mph(with wheels balanced)

First day I had it, I drove past some buddies and the damn ECU fried itself and the car spluttered to a halt. "Hi Lads.....eurgh"

Worst vehicle I EVER drove is a Ssang Youngg Jeep as a work vehicle....never ever again.

<My brother had a Fiat850 bambino and used to charge 3 'heavy' chicks for spins to school...watch out Bill Gates!>
    J.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

My first car was an '86 fiesta, like Blitzkrieger's one, it was mechanically sound and to tell you the truth would have been a great car for its age (8 years old when I bought it), but the front behind the bumper was in bits, I eventually had to re attach the front bumper using wire... the people who had it before had it spray painted about 10 times and each and every time over rust without treating it...

I saw all this when I was buying it, but like I said it was mechanicaly sound and I learned to drive in it...

At one stage the plate around the handbrake rusted away and the handbrake fell clean through the floor... was dragging along the ground.. :rolleyes:

And I knew a guy who got me cheap parts so all in all the whole thing cost me about £500 to maintain, from replacing bulbs, to light switches to new tyres (tracking was crap), for the 18 months I had it I put 30000 miles on it... never failed to start in the cold or wet though...

But now when I look back at it, it was a death trap waiting to happen... so luckily I got out of it alive, got the thing scrapped and bought a new car outta it...

As for other cars that I'd like to see scrapped and never allowed on the road again.. the list is endless...

:p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by mike65

For me it was a 1986 Isuzu Aska 2.0 TD, it was big and black and
    I bought it winter daylight (error!) I quickly discovered the rot
    that lay beneath and the noisy/worn fuel injectors and that
    it lay down a great cloud when accellorated from low speed and that when changing gear (nice action) I sometimes hit my hand off the handbrake lever, the rear left light cluster kept filling with water, so I drilled a discreet hole near the bottom. What else?
    The boot seal did'nt, the front fogs were shot - hell it was a wreck they saw me comming!

Isuzu make great 4 wheel drives but just never got it right with cars... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

ive never had a car myself but definitely the worst car ive been in was an Ital (anyone remember them?) my uncles shared bout then years ago, and can just remember driving with them to the airports one november afternoon in the pissings of rain. the problem was the window wipers didnt work so one uncle drovbe while the other had the wipers on wire and was working them manually. also one of the window was either fully open or fully closed there was no in between, so cos of the wire it was completely open and the car was drenched,
    think they drove it off the 40 foot, or should ve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Was given a subaru cygnet by a pal who wanted rid of it and wouldn't pay to get it towed and scrapped. Drove it in figures of eight around the carpark until the petrol ran out because it literally wasn't worth refilling the tank. Then passed it on to someone else who came up to the carpark with a 7up bottle of petrol, filled it and took it away. As far as I know they've shelled it and planted things in it for decoration.

It truly was a go-cart with a biscuit tin on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

My first, worst and only car was an 86 opel kadett.
    I got it for £60 about 4 years ago, never took it out on the road but had alot of fun throwing it around my uncles fields :)

The stearing wheel was wobbly, the hand brake didn't work, but the body was pritty tough, as i found out during one of my frequent crashes ;)

I couldn't do hand break turns in it (lack of hand break) so i used do em backwards! scared the shít outta my brother :D

Some good memories of that car. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

After being in a driven into by a complete moron, my insurance company gave me a rental car while the garage sorted out my Volvo. The yoke I got was a 00 reg Nissan Almera.
    What a piece of crap!!!
    Small, plastiky, slow, no feckin' acceleration at all.
    I still wonder why they put little "bowls" in the top of the dash to put things in and then made the edges rounded and covered in a slippery surface? Wether you would accelerate or brake everything would be send flying through the car....
    The only good thing was the seats...

Advertisement