Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What gauge strings do you use on your guitar?

Options
  • 19-04-2002 9:18am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I normally use 10s, but I've just put a set of 9s on for fun to see what they're like and if they're something I'm happier with. I can see myself getting a thicker set next (maybe 12 for fun).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I find 9s to be the best for electric, for bending strings etc.
    I use 10s for my 12 string, never gone as far as 12.

Ever used flat wound strings? They're great fun sometimes, usually a heavy gauge and difficult to bend but great jazziness off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

9s for leccy
    10s for acoustic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I used to use 11's for my electric, but three step bends are impossibe, so i went down to 10;s.
    Use 12's on acoustic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I've had no trouble bending with 11's. When I first started playing I used 9's but gradually got heavier strings as I disliked the tinny sound of the 9's.

I'm happy with 11's but might try 12's. haven't done so yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I use 10's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I used 9's (feel nice sound bad)
    10's (Feel ok, sound ok)
    11's (feel tough, sound beautiful, but harder to get the sounds you want from bending if your used to 9's, but I tuned down a 1/2 step while using them)

And 12's are bastards. Dont even think of playing them at standard tuning imho. Guys like Dick Dale (misirlou from pulp fiction soundtrack) used them (and higher) for really fast picking songs. They are physically rough though.

Im talking about electric guitar here btw.

Originally posted by Oeneus
    I've had no trouble bending with 11's. When I first started playing I used 9's but gradually got heavier strings as I disliked the tinny sound of the 9's.

I'm happy with 11's but might try 12's. haven't done so yet!

Its not the physical part of bend that got me. its the string actually breaking when I bend the 21st fret to sound like the 24th.
    *only has 21 frets*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Use Gauge 10 myself. They can be a little too light when you tune down real low. If i'm playing alot of heavy stuff, I switch to 11's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

I use 10's most of the time.

Just for fun try putting 13's on an electric and tune down half a step, fantastic blues tone.

Nasty ****ers to bend but it just sounds lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

if your guitar is specifically set up to play 9's would using 10's a lot do any damage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Hell, no! The only thing that could possibly get damaged is the strings themselves, which always happens anyway. Mainly with light strings!

It'd probably feel wierd it the action was raised, but it wouldn't do any damage.

Advertisement