Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Strange sound from engine

Options
  • 15-04-2002 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

Just beginning to notice that the car engine is being to sound a little strange. It starting to sound a little "hoarser" and louder. Any ideas why it might be doing this b4 i get it serviced (to stop me being ripped off)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

some more info would be nice

make / model / age / milage [of the car ;]

u sure its not the exhaust ? baffles in the dads citroen were fupped until a few days ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

toyoto corrolla/hb/4 years/60k approx

its not the baffles in the exhaust or a whole in the exhaust...definately an engine sound....notice only when accelerating and is loudest when egine is cold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Originally posted by Keeks
    definately an engine sound....notice only when accelerating and is loudest when egine is cold

ah, i know the problem, its a diesel ! :p

Originally posted by ButcherOfNog

ah, i know the problem, its a diesel ! :p

funnnay :)

nope its petrol...well thats what i'm putting into it anyway...

but now that u mention it, it is beginning to sound like a diesel engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

MIght just be in need of oil, oil filter and lube change...
    hard to say with so little info

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Well, IMHO,

Its sounds to me like Piston wear or piston-rattle(from wear OR from design) when cold. Let me explain...

By Design:
    Majority of hondas have piston rattle which is normal...all it means is that the piston rings are very slightly loose in the cylinders and it doesnt cause any trouble. The rings are less mallible because they are made from a harder metal which they need to put up with higher revving.

By Wear:
    From hard driving or from dodgy air filters or from ultimately milage, the piston rings become woren and start to rattle and make a churning noise when cold. When warm the pistons and rings expand to seal properly hence no rattles.

Only other thing is I can think of is either A) you are using the wrong viscosity engine oil (check it) or B) your oil pump may not be working properly.

Heh, why not make a recording and attach as an mp3 and let us all hear the noise ;)
    Cheers,
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

loose fan belt/? :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

small dead hedgehog by any chance?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

LAF!

Or did you just blow your headunit and can now hear ambient sounds? :)

J.

What do u mean by ambient sounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

What do u mean by ambient sounds?
    purr of the engine? ;)

I think he means the noise of the engine when it idleing.

And no i don't here anything when its idleing. Sounds normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Not really much info there to make an educated guess...
    On a 4 year old car I doubt you have extreme piston wear or anything so serious. Whens the last time the car was serviced? Its possible you have a blocked air filter, maybe you can check that yourself, or maybe your choke is malfunctioning, tho you would notice higher tempratures and bad fuel efficiency..

Do you notice a misfire, or uneven/chuggy acceleration?
    Noises like that can be caused by so many things that we could guess all day without being right, you really need to have someone look at it...

Spunj

I was thinking along the line bout a blocked air filter, but just wanted to see what other ppl thought.

But now that u mention it, the acceleration seems a bit chuggy, but the engine isn't misfiring.

It 8.5k since its last service, and i'm going to take in to the garage soon to get it all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

It is a carb and not injection right? If so you should also check all the small rubber pipes that go onto the carb. Some of them come down from the air filter and if one is cracked or has slipped off then it will 'suck' when you accelerate or release the acccelerator. Not sure if thats the type of noise you are hearing, how about a mp3 of it ;)

One other thing you can check is if you have one of those inline fuel filters on the line heading up to the carb. They are supposed to be replaced every so often and if its blocked the car may be getting starved of fuel as you accelerate, making the fuel/air mix a bit weak and making it chuggy...

I am not gonna guess any more tho, have a quick look at those things if you like before you take it in..

Spunj

That sounds bout right. Cheers mate. Will let u know what the reult will be. But it will be a few weeks b4 I get to take it to the garage. (not around at the moment).

I will see what i can do bout an mp3 to when i get back.

also it might be worth checking for hedgehogs or dead pigeons

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 speedyboy

Do the decent thing bring it for a service and then go back a week later and say it has became noisey since service!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Hmmmmm.Doubtful if its a carb.Most carbs were done away with in the esrly 90's as soon as the cat became compulsery.Fuel injection was used,and still is,because the fuel can be managed more efficently with the ECU(the computer the runs the ignition and fuel).Your car is only 4 yrs old,then it's definately injection.

Having said that,the noise could be anything from a faulty spark plug,to a dirty airfilter,or even cam shaft bearings(although toyota engines are not known to wear this much after even 200k)

Yep,best bet,get someone to look at it.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by JabbaTheHut
    or even cam shaft bearings(although toyota engines are not known to wear this much after even 200k)

Thats good to hear at least :)

Forgot to post back about this.

The problem turned out to the a bearing in the gearbox. was tolds that it was nothing serious (now anyway) but just to keep an eyey on it.

any news about any hedgehogs or dead pigeons stuck somewere in the engine?

Originally posted by phoenix2181
    any news about any hedgehogs or dead pigeons stuck somewere in the engine?

found none :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

It could be anything

Piston Slap (worn piston)
    Did you keep oil in the car topped up

Exahust holed somewhere(most likely)

If its ticking type of sound
    Could be a bent/ worn valve

Is the timeing belt ok /Chain in newer Corollas

Is the car modified if so theres a whole load of stuff with preformance parts.

Best advise regularly service a car and Oil is a must have

Forgot to post back about this.

The problem turned out to the a bearing in the gearbox. was tolds that it was nothing serious (now anyway) but just to keep an eyey on it.

As above

Advertisement