Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Courses?

Options
  • 12-04-2002 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

I'm not in Leaving Cert until next year, but could you give me a list of all media courses in the country?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

I'm not sure what u mean by Media? its a fairly broad term :)

Multimedia ? Journalism ? Film ?

Grab a Copy of the CAO handbook off one of the 6th years and sift through it for course titles that sound about right. Go on to Yahoo.ie click the "Ireland only" tab and research from there.
    Thats pretty much how i went about getting all my Graphic Design / Vis Comm courses.

Also try searching Under PLC's and see what ya find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

do what hav says.

anyway have i found the costs of portfolio for u hav.

1 mate spent £100 quid on a mounting case thing, and £4 on each plastic sheet she fit in it.

another made one of cardboard and used plastic sheets.

only requirments are that it is neat and easy to look through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭lazer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

Want to work in Radio. After that I wouldn't mind working in TV or even writing for magazines / newspapers. I know there are a few dedicated radio courses in the country, but I'd like to have something to fall back on if it doesn't work out. Thats why I want to do a course that is broad in media (broadcasting/print). After that, I'd do a course in radio (BFCE?). I know there's communications in DCU and another in Limerick (name?!?), any info on these would be great.

dit has a course called media arts, it was originaly called communications.broadcasting

bcfe have the best tv/radio courses in ireland

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Originally posted by saik
    do what hav says.

anyway have i found the costs of portfolio for u hav.

1 mate spent £100 quid on a mounting case thing, and £4 on each plastic sheet she fit in it.

another made one of cardboard and used plastic sheets.

only requirments are that it is neat and easy to look through

Yeah Saik, its expencive as hell. I (thankfully) did manage to get a half decent portfolio together in the end. Been in to DIT and DLIADT already. Just have to head down to Athlone IT this wenesday and wait till May...

/me crosses all fingers and toes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

I'm doing journalism in DIT, which is of course separate to the media arts. We actually don't cross over at all even though we have some of the same subjects so I don't know anyone in it. I will say that my course is good. But it's very theoritical at the moment (I'm in first year). The only time we get our hands on equipment is in radio when they either feck us out onto the streets of dublin with a MD Marantz to get the wordly-wise opinions of de man in de street, or when we have to edit said recordings.

What I also think is important as regards working in radio (and I knnow my opinions are humble for I am but a young girl) is getting experience now. Find your local community station and volunteer - it's the only way I think. I started in mine when I was 15 and in transition year and you'd be amazed at the way things spring from that, trust me, I'm living proof. Plus, I know I haven't done a radio-related course but I think that real-world hands-on experience is invaluable for giving you a leg-up.

Advertisement