Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wide Screen Television.

Options
  • 12-04-2002 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

Folks
    Before I got Sky Digital I was definately thinking of buying a wide
    screen TV,due to so many programmes having the wide screen format and therefore having black segment at top and bottom of screen. Since then I notice that when the same channel/programme is being viewed on Sky Digital you get a full normal picture on a normal TV. I then asked myself,why bother with a widescreen telly now. My question is why does this happen? I need to know so I can then decide whether or not to buy the 32 inch 100hz widescreen I have been promising myself for the past nine or ten months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

At the moment there are very few channels showing programmes in widescreen. This is strange as the box allows both widescreen and 4:3 to be broadcast at the same time and then allow the user to select what format they wish to watch.

As time goes on, more and more channels will broadcast in widescreen so it is probably wise to get the widescreen set now to future-proof yourself.

BBC's output is almost all widescreen, as are ITV and channel 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

does anyone know if rte/tv3 have any plans to broadcast on sky in w/s?
    I want to buy a w/s telly, but at the moment only a few stations/programs are w/s format, and if they're not then people just look like short fat people on a widescreen telly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Some of the higher end tellies are quite clever about how they stretch a 4:3 picture, there is still some distortion but it is not as noticable. I would recommend a wide screen to anyone, if it is a 4:3 picture and the distortion really bothers you you can always switch to 4:3. TV is only one part of it, I think almost all DVD's are in widescreen so if you watch movies it's well worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Lads,

the point I really want clarified was.
    Watch a programme on bbc1 on MMDS/Cable on ordinary TV,you get black band top and bottom.
    Watch the same on bbc1 on Sky Dig you get no bands. Therefore a full screen picture.;. Why is this so???
    ANyone know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

SkyDigital allows you three choices on how to view your picture;

16:9 which will be an anamorphic picture that will appear as a widescreen picture on a widescreen TV or will use your TV's own widescreen switching if the TV is relatively new. If you use this setting with a 4:3 TV that can't switch (most can't) then you'll get tall, thin pictures when a widescreen programme is being shown.

4:3 Letterbox which will display a widescreen picture with the black bars on a 4:3 TV

4:3 standard which shows a 4:3 cutout of the 16:9 picture.

These settings are usually set by the Sky installer and if you have a 4:3 TV, the installer will usually choose 4:3 standard. I have a 4:3 TV myself but I use 4:3 letterbox to get the whole picture.

To change the settings click on the setup menu, and choose Picture Setup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 delboy

hi gents

i have seen a philips and a sony 28 and 32 super flat screen inch tvs-

the 1 i want is the sony 32 wega- but it seems mad money 1500 irish

i wanted a good widescreen for less than 1000 irish- any ideas- on what and where to purchase.- the 28 inch philips seem to be about 750 - 800 irish

any ideas

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Did you take a look at JVC or Panasonic? They're very good also. I recently got a JVC 28" WS and it's fantastic though it's not super flat version. Very easy menu system. If I had the money though I would definitely go for the fantastic Sony 32" WEGA 100Hz TV which looks good and sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Hey Delboy

Panasonic make some pretty good flat widescreens, some of them are sub 1000 and some are around the same price as the Sony WEGA's, their TAU range for example. If you watch a lot of tv and you can possible afford it go for the Sony 32inch 28inch WEGA. I have one myself, it cost me GBP1700 18 months ago, and I do not regret spending a penny of that. We watch a lot of telly in the house and the picture is stunning. Go on and treat yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Panasonic make some pretty good flat widescreens, some of them are sub 1000 and some are around the same price as the Sony WEGA's

ya i have a 32" Panasonic flat widescreen.... couldnt ask for better... great picture qualtiy and sound... perfect for DVD's etc.... and if you have a PS2 its great, you will never got back to playing games on a 14" or 21" again.... only prob is, it cost just over £1000.... have it about 5-6 months

Originally posted by MrEnvy
    Hey Delboy

Panasonic make some pretty good flat widescreens, some of them are sub 1000 and some are around the same price as the Sony WEGA's, their TAU range for example. If you watch a lot of tv and you can possible afford it go for the Sony 32inch 28inch WEGA. I have one myself, it cost me GBP1700 18 months ago, and I do not regret spending a penny of that. We watch a lot of telly in the house and the picture is stunning. Go on and treat yourself.
    I agree 100% with this.
    The panny's and grand Wega's are the Biz:)
    But if you are going to go to GB£1700 or so , you may as well go for a Rear projection or RPTV. Have a look in the sony centre in Liffey Valley.
    Peats will have them aswell and other major tv stores.
    I don't think you will see them in the likes of Power city, but Currys in the Blanchardstown centre had a very good selection , last time I looked:) (that could have been Dixons in Blanch, but I'm nearly certain it was Currys-they're both there anyhow)
    Keep telling yourself, that you deserve it,that you are worth it...:D :):p:):D:)
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭speedfreak

mate of mine got the Philips 28 pw6515 which I intend getting soon as well. It has fab flat screen picture and dolby virtual surround sound and it actually looks really smart too, with its "designer stand"...bit of a bleeding rip-off actually the old stand prices....

Advertisement