Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky digital with a mind of its own

Options
  • 09-04-2002 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

Guys I know this will most likely have been mentioned before but it is getting progressively worse.
    when I start to channel hop at least once a night the digibox either goes directly to skysports news or to sky news.
    This is really starting to get on my wick now any suggestions?

The box is a grundig and is out of the 12 month warranty.

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hi,

I too have a Grundig box and get this from time to time...try this (apologies if you've already done these):

1. Unplug the box for a few minutes, then plug it back in...it'll probably say "searching for listings" for a minute or two but will then come up as normal - this is known as rebooting the box.

2. Force an update - if the above fails to solve it, again unplug the box, remove your Sky card, and again leave it for a few minutes...this time however hold the Backup button (on the box itself NOT the remote) while plugging it back in until all the lights on the front come on and the screen displays a message about "Updating software"...As it says this DOES take a while and it is important that you let it finish - IMPORTANT: NEVER do this with the Sky Card inserted - I admit to doing it inadvertently once and had no problem but I've read it can corrupt the card/box if its inserted while the Update runs.

Once the update has completed the box will power off, reinsert your card at that point and turn it on - it'll again "search for listings" but again will come up normally after that.

Give those a try - the first one (rebooting) usually does the trick but you can always try the 2nd if you still have problems. Bear in mind tho that this is a "known issue" and there are many more so these steps are usually only a temporary solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

Tippex,

I have the same problem - or at least similar. If I try to go through channels quickly, after about 20 channels the box just skips to Sky Sports Extra (ch 404 - may be this is different to yours if you don't subscribe to SS?). Sometimes it goes to 'Interactive' menu for the same reason, and always when I go back up from this Interactive menu I return to ch 999. Afterwards synopsis information is not available without going to the TV guide.

I am thinking that this has something to do with the RAM of the digibox - the quick and successive loading of channels as you hop causes the digibox to 'give-up' and malfunction as above.

I also have a Grundig, about 5 months old.

AFAIK rebooting simply restores the memory and cures the problem until you start hopping again. I haven't yet succeeded in a forced software update, so I can't say if this works or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Kaiser2000, you missed an important step:

Press and hold the back up button on the Digibox itself, not on the remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

actually just saw that myself..my bad! :) Changed accordingly....

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Guys,

I have the same problem with my Panasonic Box (6 months old) also ...

Just goes to Sky News or Sky sports whenever I try to surf through the channels using + - keys on remote.

Also from time to time the red dot disappears !! (Maybe not a bad thing !!)

Not sure what the answer is ?

Could there be a big in the EPG software ?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Many thanks guys tried the forced update last night and it seems to be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

yeah i have a Grundig and have seen it myself! its not much of a problem though... i dont notice it much...

i think it happened once when i was not changing channels though... just changed to sky news or something on me!

Anyone noticed that thing in the personal planner that wont go away? i have it and it cant be deleted.. i only noticed this problem after that entry apeared.. could be coincidence...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

yesterday, some queen mum program on bbc1 magically appeared on my personal planner....

any explanations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Are you a closet royalist? or maybe your digibox is?

Advertisement