Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which cd player?

Options
  • 08-04-2002 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

looking to buy a cd player for around the €200 mark..
    and just noticed that peats have a damn good price (good €100 cheaper than techtronics.co.uk) on sonys new entry-level sacd player ( technical details here ) ...

so im trying to decide between that and the following too similarly priced standard cd players:

marantz cd5000
    sony cd-570

for those too lazy to look at the links it basically boils down to.. mid-range cd or entry-level sacd?
    any comments on any of the above units would be sweet as well :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

I have the marantz CD6000 hooked up through a marantz SR5200 reciever and I love it. The marantz gove a nice warm sound, no harshness, and fits in with what I have perfectly.

I had a look at SCAD player before plumping for the marantz, but the cost (not really applicable to you if you found it cheap), the lack of discs, the cost of the available SACD discs completely put me off. Don't know if SACD is much cop at playing back regular CDs as well as a similarily priced CD player

Just ask yourself are you willing to pay over $20-30 per SACD disc compared with $10-12 for the CD. Check out hmv.com for the best selection and see if what is out is going to be the stuff you are buying

Don't forget at the moment SACD is competing with DVD-audio and DTS-audio, and at the moment nobody really knows what direction the market is going to swing. As far as I can see sony hasn't made SACD particularily desirable and that why I passed over it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

SACD does sound great, and even an entry level player should sound much better with an SACD than an equivalent/slightly more expensive standard CD player. But there just isn't enough software at the mo. to justify it really. You're better off spending more on the player you'll use for 99% of your music. If you want to upgrade to something better than std. cd then try a dejitterer/upsampler, at least until the formats settle a little.
    There's no rule of thumb as regards a std. cd player being better at cd playback than a SACD player. I know your paying for dedicated cd playback on one, and some of the price is going towards SACD exclusive hardware in the other, but some of the CD's signal is processed by the higher grade components necessary for SACD. Any dif. in quality will come down to build quality and manufacturer preference. I replaced a marantz Cd-17ki with the Sony DVP-S9000ES late last year. I preferred the Marantz for std. cd as it had a warmer/fuller sound but the Sony actually had a lower noise floor and cleaner high end, so it was down to character rather than quality.

Advertisement