Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strings Aaaaarrrrr

• 06-04-2002 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Oh for fuch sake! I just bought electric strings earlyer this weak and A STRING broke just now!! I never even used the 1st string anyway and it went off and broke! Does anyone know a good strong brand? Mines D'addario XL (Nickel wound, regular light gauge). There a load of sh|te. I have to go bother my parants for money again now.......Fu(k

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

It happens. PLay with a heavier gauge, bend and strum less aggresively or do both.

I use D'addario's usually and I have never had any probelms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

Yeah I asked a guy in the store for STRONG strings and he give me sh|te light ones

• Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

Well if you want strings that last long, I'd recommend elexis strings for acoustic guitar. They're a bit expensive at about 22 euros a set, but I've had the same set on for almost four months, where d'addario's usually lasted a few weeks. Superb sound off them as well...
    For elec., I use d'addario XL 9 gauge strings and they seem to do the job well, even if they do break occasionally. [TIP] If your strings do break frequently, you could try giving them a rub-down with a cotton cloth after use, and wash your hands before and after playing. This increases my string's life by about half, so it does work.[/TIP];)

Thanks for the help strings are b@stards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I use D'Addario 10's and there fine. I usually replace them every 4 weeks or less but thats just me and not the strings. They seem to hold up well, but get cruddy easy.
    Ernie Ball Slinkys stay bright for ages, but tend to break easier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I use .11 Earnie Ball strings (power slinky), and I have never had any problems. They sound great also!

Strings are one of the reasons that make me flip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr .Bungle

I've head my strings for ages and i really lay into em, try playing your guitar tuned down a bit

Ah yes... I have mine tuned down 1/2 a step.

ie. Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb

Its probably because I tune from low to hight way to often

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I usually go with Ernieball slinky 9 guage on my electric, and d'addario 10 gauge on the acoustic. I found them to have the best sound overall for myself.

If you want STRONG strings, why not go the Stevie Ray Vaughan path and put some 12 gauge strings on your electric;)

You can get .12 for the electric? What make?

And your using .9's on your electric? Christ man, does that have any tone whatsoever? I used them once and it sounded really tinny and buzzy. Dreadful!

12 gauge I didn't even know they exsisted......well done on becoming mod oeneus!

Oh. Thanks...I didn't notice :)

Well if you can't buy 12's anywhere, you sure as hell can mix and match different strings. Some pairs of 9's have 12's as the second string, and so on.
    SRV has been known to use 15's!
    You shouldn't have to tune your guitar down to keep your strings from breaking, it's annoying if you have to jam with a band and the bassist and rhytym guitarist are in standard E tuning. Maybe there is a problem with your bridge or you are playing too hard. Where do the strings break, near the nut, near the bridge or in the middle?

EDIT: Oh and try stringing up in this order.
    B,D,G,highE (placing them on the guitar first and then bringing each one up to pitch gradually, interchanging between strings at regular intervals until all are at, or close to, pitch.)
    Then lowE and A, this will create even tension across all the strings)
    Then, when they are up to pitch, bend each string, starting with lowE, at the seventh fret as much as you can (or want to:))
    Then retune and repeat about twice more, your guitar should stay in pitch because the strings should be stretched.
    And if you use different gauge strings that you've used before, be sure to check the intonation of the guitar.
    Ah damn it, I was gonna see about being MOD. Ah well, well done Oeneus. /EDIT

Yeah I was suspecting giblet was gonna be a mod 2. The 1st string breaks at the bridge....explains it all

Very possible that there migh be a problem with your bridge.
    My strings kept breaking and I was really getting annoyed with it, so I replaced the bridge and its fine now.
    I wouldn't suggest getting a new bridge though, could be too much trouble if you mess up, but you could get it checked, it might have a sharp nick in it, or there could be to many fatigue points which the string is rubbing off. Or you may be a little "pick heavy" with your playing. The main thing is new strings shouldn't break easily if your tuning them to the right pitch. Especially D'Addario.

I wouldn't bother getting a new bridge coz my guitar is pretty old n'crappy and i'll be getting a new one soon...I guess its d'addario for me...again...and thanks for the tips giblet

Advertisement