Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Nike Add

Options
  • 06-04-2002 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here seen the new nike football add. Where they are all in this kind of cage thing playing 3 a side. And cantona is the MC. Its pretty cool. Well I think so anyway. What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I really like it. Different (obviously in a pointless way - obviously won't please those people who look at an odd advert and look away, saying "yeah, right, as if"(sometimes feel sorry for them))

Totally different to the "other" good Nike advert in the airport. Then again, that one did have groovy background music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

How come the most talked about ads are never on?????That ad whjere they were kickoing the ball around the airport was deadly but i must have only seen it 3 or 4 times.How come the best ads are never shown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

Gr8 ad...esp the music 'a little less conversation'....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Does anyone not have a problem with Edgar Davids appearing in the ad.
    He is afterall a "proven" drugs cheat.
    It just strikes me as hypocracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

The best Nike ad for ages....

IMO, even better than the Brazil WC '98.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

i dunno... i was expecting this mad finale(like davids in the last ad) but its only a little header:( ...
    think they could have come up with something a bit imaginative instead of a plain ol header.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

Terry Gilliam directed it aparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

what if maradona was in the ad?...would ya have a problem if mr. coke fiend himself appeared in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭four_star

i hear richard dunne is going to be in the next one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

geroge hamilton is going to be MC too.....should be a cracker!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

it's a good ad but i agree with the comment about the weak ending, i.e. the header. the person who had a problem with Davids coz of his alleged 'drug' use: get a life moron.
    the only thing about the ad is that it's really just of a variation on the theme of 'get a load of big name players and engage in exhibitionist footie skills' thing. maybe they could have come up with an entirely new concept, after all, adidas and nike have been doing the same thing for the past few years. with one possible exception: the adidas ad with the massive attack tune, which was a bit more abstract / arty.
    I hear Phil Babb will also be joining Richard Dunne in the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Have to agree with having a problem with a known drugs cheater being in the advert (maybe I should get a life, over to the For Sale board I go).

Nike and most of the other sports companies with big budgets do quite a lot of work to bring sports to young people - such as the Nike sponsorship of new basketball courts in under privileged urban areas in the US. A cynic (such as, erm, well, me) might say that they are promoting their own brand in areas where people get killed for a pair of Air Jordans. And while that's true, in a country where the government clearly aren't doing enough to promote sports among the young, any investment by the private sector has to be welcomed. Tie that charity policy in with an advert where a known cheater is advertising the products of the company and it's a step in the wrong direction.

Simple as that.

I think its a very weak ad overall.Theres practically no fancy moves or stunts at all-its basically just normal football with the camera nearer to the action.
    For the best World Cup ad I choose a new Heninaken one i saw tonight.Its all about how we win the world cup and the whole country goes mad.Its then revealed to be a dream but the slogan goes
    "Heinaken dont make dreams,but if we did theyd probably be the best dreams in the world" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

yea tha new Heinaken add is better

Originally posted by SheroN
    what if maradona was in the ad?...would ya have a problem if mr. coke fiend himself appeared in it?
    YES- were you expecting any other reaction- he too failed a drugs test, in USA 94
    Originally posted by joey D
    the person who had a problem with Davids coz of his alleged 'drug' use: get a life moron.

Theres nothing alleged about it- He was found to have taken a controlled subsatnce.
    [and Thanks Joey, I have one.]

I would compare the situation to the Proceeds of Crime legislation we have in our country- I dont think anybody would disagree that criminals should not profit from their crimes- ie. through book or film rights. Davids was found guilty by FIFA of taking a substance that contravenes the regulations. Why should he then be able to dupe the public and then appear in an ad (And be paid ) where it purports to display super athletes, when in fact we dont know if past performances were made while on drugs or not.

Tolerating drugs in sports, removes all the essential elements of the meaning of "SPORT". His appearance in this ad, IMO, validates the use of drugs- ie. Cheating Pays !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Who is the black player with the dreads and the orange jersey who flicks the ball backwards with his head??? someone said to me its Ronaldinho of PSG, but im not sure....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

Originally posted by The Gopher
    I think its a very weak ad overall.Theres practically no fancy moves or stunts at all-its basically just normal football with the camera nearer to the action.
    For the best World Cup ad I choose a new Heninaken one i saw tonight.Its all about how we win the world cup and the whole country goes mad.Its then revealed to be a dream but the slogan goes
    "Heinaken dont make dreams,but if we did theyd probably be the best dreams in the world" :)

Its not heineken its carlsberg - and yeah it does rule !!!!

Yeah i just realised that today:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    P.S-Cool animation on your sig:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by 80project

YES- were you expecting any other reaction- he too failed a drugs test, in USA 94

Theres nothing alleged about it- He was found to have taken a controlled subsatnce.
    [and Thanks Joey, I have one.]

I would compare the situation to the Proceeds of Crime legislation we have in our country- I dont think anybody would disagree that criminals should not profit from their crimes- ie. through book or film rights. Davids was found guilty by FIFA of taking a substance that contravenes the regulations. Why should he then be able to dupe the public and then appear in an ad (And be paid ) where it purports to display super athletes, when in fact we dont know if past performances were made while on drugs or not.

Tolerating drugs in sports, removes all the essential elements of the meaning of "SPORT". His appearance in this ad, IMO, validates the use of drugs- ie. Cheating Pays !

Get over it will ya. We are just talking about the add if you want to talk about drugs in sports start up a new thread.
    I still think this add is cool and the website is cool too. You can play a game where you are inside the cage, watch the add loads of other cool sites.

Originally posted by suppafly
    Get over it will ya.

NO
    Originally posted by suppafly
    if you want to talk about drugs in sports start up a new thread.

NO,
    I've said my bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Excellent ad.

Cantona is still the king.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Teams are as follows:

Totti, Nakata, Henry
    Vieira, Scholes, Van Nistelroy
    Wiltord, Thuram, Davids
    Saviola, Luis Enrique, Ljungberg
    Rosicky, Cannavaro, Ferdinand
    Crespo, Lopez, Mendieta
    Denilson, Seol, Ronaldinho
    Figo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Who is the black player with the dreads and the orange jersey who flicks the ball backwards with his head??? someone said to me its Ronaldinho of PSG, but im not sure....

Ya it is Ronaldinho.
    Terry Gilliam directed it aparently

Gilliam directed it for sure.

I think its a brilliant ad and I agree with suppafly. Its an sports ad, not a drugs investigation.
    The idea behind it is brilliant, cantona is class as is the direction and music.

You can download it from http://www.nikefootball.com.

Stills and all the info you wana know is on http://www.smart.co.uk/dreams/tgnike.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I like it, it's pretty good as ads go. The music is brilliant and so is Cantona, also some of the fancy moves are pretty entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I saw a long version today, and it was soooo much beter. It was sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i saw the longer version tonight too on MTV2 and yes, it was sweet :)
    i must have the video machine at the ready for when it comes on next
    excellent stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

err most pointless ad of all time.

why are they on the ship?
    why do they jump off at the end?
    why are they using a steel ball?
    why are the shots with the teams names so short (impossible to read without recording and pausing)?

cant stand it myself.

one in the airport was excellent though, at least it gives the impression that hey these shoes will give you some ball control.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Kali
    err most pointless ad of all time.

why are they on the ship?
    why do they jump off at the end?
    why are they using a steel ball?
    why are the shots with the teams names so short (impossible to read without recording and pausing)?

It's supposed to be a secret tournament, hidden from the world. I guess they reckon a boat would be a good hiding place?

They get thrown off because they lost "Losers go home", I dont understand why it's only the runners up in the final that get thrown off.

The ball is the new chrome one by Nike, it's supposed to be the new fashion or something? Is this gonna be the World Cup ball anybody know or will they stick with Adidas (who also have a chrome ball I think)?

I have no answer to the last question.

Anybody know the name of the song used in it? Is it by Elvis? Somebody told me it was, it does sound like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Without getting drawn into the details of the scenario I'd imagine that EVERY losing team was thrown off the boat. It just happened that they chose to show the losing finalists getting this treatment.

BTW, did anyone notice a second version of the AD where Cantona's explaination of how the game is going to work is overdubbed by someone with a much clearer voice? Admittedly the ex-ManUre sh!te-talking French ponce is a little difficult to understand but you think if they were going to do something like this that they would have sorted it out before the ad was aired?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

http://frink.nuigalway.ie/~syxpak/nike.mov
    if anyone wants it (or if the official site is too slow/high ping for modem users)

Advertisement