Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's frequency on Sky Digital.

Options
  • 04-04-2002 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

Official confirmation of RTE's frequency !!

"Dear Charles

RTE hope to be testing next week from April 9th, 2002 on Astra 2D, frequency is 10743.75 MHz.

Regards

Tom McCarthy"

So at that low a frequency (it's very low, isn't it ?) it will be 22.000, 5/6, won't it ?

If RTE start testing on the 9th, it's quite likely that the transponder will be tested before that (remember the "castle" tests before ITV started), so it's worth keeping a regular check on this transponder over the next 5 days.

I think Astra 2D also has a fairly tight footprint over the UK and Ireland. I wonder if that will have any bearing on encryption.

It's all quite exciting now, isn't it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Well done Charles. Wonder who will be the first to see the actual tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Nice one Charles! It is very low, but as ITV appeared at a low frequency, I wont doubt it! But that transponder isnt active yet...

All Astra 2D have a Symbol Rate of 22000 and an FEC of 5/6

Also, it doesn't bode well for continental ex-pats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

do you round up or down the .75 on the frequency?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Up. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Corm

Excellent news Charles. Pretty soon we will be able to see Fair City in all its digitised glory. I wonder if it will be a testcard or running programmes ?:D

Corm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭TinMan

For us non techie about the dishes up there can you confirm exactly please what I should put in to the add channels plan on services?

so its 10.744
    H or V
    5/6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

If you work backwards from the previous lowest frequency (which is 10.832H), with a gap of about .015 (every now and again there's an extra .001) between each transponder, it looks like it should be -

10.744 H
    5/6

Keep watching the skies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭TinMan

Thanks for the confirmation Charles looking forward to it,

Wonder will TV3 be testing on the same day? Would be great cause the reception I get on tV3 is bad and there is gonna be some exciting Champions league matches coming up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Phelim 3:16

Does "testing" mean that we will be able to tune it into Other Channels or will we have to wait for it to appear on the EPG before we can actually watch it?

Phelim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Testing means that you tune it in via the other channels.

It may not be on all of the time. Once ITV started showing pictures it remained on almost all of the time. When BBC1 was testing every second programme was blocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

well done charles. i cant wait for the full RTE service and TV3 as well. Will the TV3 use the same transponder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Originally posted by Kevin
    Will the TV3 use the same transponder.

No idea, but I'd imagine so. Anyone know any more about this ? Uncle Gruebber maybe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

It would only make sense that they occupy the same transponder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by Charles Slane

No idea, but I'd imagine so. Anyone know any more about this ? Uncle Gruebber maybe ?

It would make a lot of sense if tv3 and tg4 went on the same transponder as they could all be uplinked together, I'm not sure in any case whether 2d has on board multiplexing, ie to ability join or separate transmissions received in separate datastreams. Before on board multiplexing became available what you sent up came down exactly the same. I would imagine that RTE will probably go one hop to betzdorf before going to the satelliteas tara did with intelsat although it is tecnically quite feasible to uplink directly to 2d.

Regards Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Yes i think it does.
    ITV channels are all on the same TP and multiplexed by NTL before a direct uplink to 2D.

Chernobyl,It's going to be awful tempting to press select to view RTE when it comes on your EPG:eek:
    Have you came up with plans to avoid this?
    mm

Maybe I should have pm'ed this question?
    I'm only curious as Chernobyl has stated many times that it has been several years since he has seen RTE and was wondering how Non fans of Montrose were going to cope with the new phenominnon....( I really should learn to spell...:D )

Well i think it was Feb 9th last when i first watched RTE in like 5 years, it was a brief encounter but a good reminder of what i missed.

I dont really care either way that RTE will be on Sky, TV is kinda boring now and i have my select proggys which is rougly 3hours a day of TV so im not looking for anymore.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 AJC

There is only one freq does that mean only one channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Pauge 2

When the tests start (9th April ??) u enter freq 10.744 etc, in the ADD CHANNEL, a search will take place and all channels available on this freq will come up, hopefully rte, net 2, tv3, tg4, while the tests are taking place u will have to go to other channels to watch the tests, these channels should come onto the epg when rte go live.

Advertisement