Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premiership costs

Options
  • 03-04-2002 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Just doing a bit of rough Maths.Sky paid £1.11bn for live Premiership games for three years.That is 370 Million pounds Sterling per yr just for The Premiership which has to be covered by SKY Sports subscribers.
    Sky have roughly 5 million subscribers in general so that is 74 pounds per subscriber ,i.e 6 pounds Sterling per month for every subscriber just to watch Premiership football.
    Essentially they have live rights for 66 live games so this works out at about 5 Million pounds per game with 40 million for highlights.
    This is a crazy amount of money.
    Bearing in mind that SKY Sports 1 costs 10 pounds per month alone ( smaller amount if part of larger package ) that means 6/10 of the money goes to the Premiership.
    However obviously not everyone who subscribes to SKY subscribes to Sky Sports .
    Would 50% of people subscribe to SKY Sports 1 ?
    Hence the 6 Pounds average is much higher.Must be well over 12 pounds.
    Obviously advertising will bring in some money and Publican fees are higher but I still cant see the 6 Pounds per month or anywhere near it being met.
    What about the cost of other sports, golf,tennis,rugby,etc etc ?
    So the big question is are SKY taking money from other subscription packages to fund this outrageously inflated deal ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

they sell the rights onto other stations in the eu i think i could be wrong tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

I believe the figure is soemthing like £6 million
    per game. Sanity went out the window when the
    football rights were being sold. Sky could not afford to lose.

Likewise th epremiership has made Sky. I have
    Sky Sports and got Sky Digital because of live
    football. No football - no Sky.

Advertisement