Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VCR compatability

Options
  • 03-04-2002 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭

What do you need to play american videos on a vcr here? Anything special required?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Your VCR must support NTSC playback (And convert it into PAL in the process)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

How do I know if it has this?

RTFM :)

Originally posted by _CreeD_
    RTFM :)

Yeah maybe if I knew where it was...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Are you sure about converting to PAL. If the TV can handle NTSC or PAL60 surely the video can send out the NTSC signal with no conversion.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by gandalf
    Are you sure about converting to PAL. If the TV can handle NTSC or PAL60 surely the video can send out the NTSC signal with no conversion.

I think you're right - VCRs that convert NTSC -> are pretty expensive, and the quality usually sucks.

Cerainly, anything you see in Dixons is just NTSC playback as PAL60 (and occasionally NTSC)

TVs with NTSC are more espensive too. A TV that plays PAL60 wont necessarily play NTSC, it's still PAL, just the preferred format for NTSC to PAL conversion.
    And yes the quality sucks, but then that's VHS for ya anyway :).

If you don't have the manual the best thing is get the make/model and do a search on the web for product spec.s. There's no way to tell if it converts by looking at the player I'm afraid (unless it has a shiney big NTSC sticker on the front ;) )

Acually I just had a look at the vcr and it just happened to say right there on it "NTSC Playback".

Advertisement