Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap pro guitars

• 02-04-2002 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

A year ago I bought my first electric.....and it was sh!te. It tunes out in 2 hours and it plays gick. Does anyone know any decent cheap electrics about (mostly for metal). PLEASE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭apiou

ok, maybe your guitar isn't as bad as you think. Some good guitars are often spoiled by the difficulty and time that tuning takes because of their floating bridge system, like the well known fender strat or squier. I own a Yamaha pacifica and i adore it. It is simply the best piece of hardware you can find on todays market. It's price was 199£ english pounds at it's release. I use to have problems with the bridge myself until I screwed the back of it onto the top of the guitar. it prevents the bridge from floating back and foward as it's name indicates. The reason why it untunes is because when one of the strings are tightened, it pulls the bridge out which by the following means loosens the next string.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Gerry

I also have the pacifica, and would swear by it. It only cost me 170 irish with the trade in of my old encore. I have the 112m with the maple neck, and it plays really sweet. My current amp doesn't really do justice to it, I'm going for a new one. It has a sweet neck pickup, and a humbucker on the bridge, so theres a good range of sounds. I don't have any problems with it going out of tune, unless I really kill the whammy bar, even then its really good for a guitar with a vintage bridge. I think a lot has to do with how you restring it, you have to make sure the strings are well stretched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Get one with a fixed bridge
    Telecaster being a good example
    Try a second hand fender one
    you should be able to get one for €350

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

Thanks for the help. I had BIG problems with the bridge before, and it fell off at one piont-so I just got glue and it's fine now. The pickups (I resently found out) are good it's just my amp (Kustom kla20 lead amp-40 watt). My guitar is a hondo-very popular for sh!ty tuning. The pacifica sounds sweet-thanks for the help guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Uh...glue? If it's something like a Les Paul the bridge is meant to come off. everything sits tight when the strings are in it.

• Advertisement

No you se the E (6th) string aims up a little to reach the machine head so when I tightned that it draged the bridge with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr .Bungle

Pirate Fenders ain't good for metal. Most em don't have humbuckers and they have too soft a tone. I'd take look at a B.C Rich or a Jackson.

I've allwayed admired jackson but b.c. rich look groovy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Hi,
    I have a fender squier and i find it looses tune quickly (probably cause of the floating bridge as you said). How can i stop the bridge from moving exactly?

I have no Idea I just glued mine (hehehe). Simple ways are fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

www.thomann.de

That site rocks and its VERY CHEAP and fast! Alternatively you could earn a gigsmart card and get discounts in Instrumental and Waltons!!

A floating bridge is setup so you can raise and lower the pitch with the whammy bar.
    You cant really get a fixed bridge unless you use a TREM BLOCKER, which you can buy.....somewhere.....
    But you can set it up for Dive only, which would involve taking off the back panel and putting all 5 springs in and tightening the screws going into the body. You can still lower the pitch with a bit of effort, but it should be stable enough. But remeber to adjust the saddle height and the intonation afterwards.

Crap....sorry I mistakend the bridge for a nut sorry I get your piont my bridge is very crapy I suppose then.....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I always swear by Samick.Especially for metal.They are cheap enough too.Ive playing them for years now.

The reason I started this post is OBVIOSLY because I need some adise on what guitar 2 buy and also I dont know **** about guitars (Maintenace and electricle wise) I can only play em. So thanks for all the help.

• Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

Does anyone know where to get a cheap Gibson Sunburst Les Paul in dublin (by cheap I mean ~ 1000 euros)?

Buy and sell might have one

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Scuzzy a mate of mine flew to the Uk bought a sunburst les paul 1979 for less than €1000 including flights etc.He checked the web,booked the tickets (€60 day return ) and arrived home with his les paul for about €900 all in.

...Any chance of him selling it?:P

I buzzed down to instrumental and they showed me a small slick black nice playing b.c. rich and it's probably the one i'm gonna buy it cost round 300-400

• Advertisement

You can get a Gibson Les Paul Studio for around €700-800. There are sunburst coloured ones but there is a really nice one called the Studio Gothic.

I don't know how the studio versions play as opposed to the Standards or Classics, but they aren't as pretty.

I might see if I can find those les paul things they are realy sweet

You can get a Gibson Les Paul Studio for around €700-800.
    :eek:
    Do you know anywhere that stocks them at this price?

I have in the past. Not in recent days, but if I see one I'll stick it on this thread.

Advertisement