Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Plus in Ireland

Options
  • 02-04-2002 3:14pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Pardon my ignorance on this but can any1 fill me in on the situation with Sky plus in Ireland. I saw the adds on tv, recording 1 channel while watching another etc. Does any1 know the costs of this or if it is even available in Ireland

Comments

It's not available yet...very expensive as you have to buy the box and theres another extra monthly rent to pay :(

ShaneOC knows quite a bit about this as he has one.
    Cue Shane:D
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Hello.

Sky+ is not available in Ireland yet. They have not set up the marketing for it over here. I am still talking to them about it and will let you know when I get any more information.

Regarding the cost, the box itself is GB£300 (€500 approx) and there is a GB£10 (€16.40) monthly subscription for the Sky+ features.

Without the Sky+ features the box acts as a regular digibox with two important differences. First, the dolby digital output works on Sky Premiere Widescreen and Widescreen Box Office. And second, the autoview feature from the personal planner is not available on Sky+.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I spoke to sky about 10 days ago and they said it would be availible in April. Not sure if this is correct but I presume if customer care say this it must be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I would expect that Sky + will arrive shortly after the Sky- Nevada tele.com deal takes effect, and that should be in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

If you wait a year or so, you will probably find that Sky+ will be part of the standard Sky Installation.
    I read somewhere that the uptake of Sky+ in Britain was very slow due to the £10 sub.
    It is not a lot of extra functionality for £10 a month extra(If you also have a VCR and some terrestial channels.
    If Pace (or whoever) can manufacture the Sky+ box in a years time for the same price as they manufacture the standard Digibox now, who knows what will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 delboy

I would think that sky+ will become the standard as mentioned above
    remember the whole thing we were promised was massive access to 6 million streamed live broadcasts and on demand video,
    they are only touching the surface of what digital stuff can do.
    wait until we have dishes that can send and recieve, and broadband access to the home.

skys company report estimates that they are pulling 370 sterling per installation and aim to take 450 per installation- per year
    those price increases will have to be justified and most likely by added services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I don't think that Sky+ will become the norm for installations. There are lots of rumours about the low take up of Sky + in the UK, usually people saying less than 1000 units sold. Over on digital spy there was a thread called "What do you think of your Sky +" (not exact title) there was over 50 individuals who replied. I think it is highly unlikely that over 5% of people who went out to buy Sky+ happen to use the same board.

Of course, I am hoping that it is not given away having paid £300 Stg for mine... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

But the thing is how many people who post
    on Digital Spy's Sky+ thread actually have the boxes?
    Also, I remember reading in 1999 that free Digiboxes
    would never be the norm in the Republic because of program rights and cost issues.
    Two years later I get a free digibox.
    Market forces are always variable.
    All it takes is one board meeting at BSkyB and they will be
    dishing out free Sky+ Digiboxes.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I dont think so either....

I see the Sky + box as an added incentive.

"Look mate, in the back of the van, I've got a free digibox, all the channels, dont have Dolby etc etc.... or if you want some extra features, like (insert all Sky + features here) for a couple of hundred bucks."

Sky + boxes are for those who are looking for more.

And I'm still happy with my lickle Pace box.

Advertisement