Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Digibox Procedure

Options
  • 30-03-2002 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

Lads
    In relation to the Sky Digibox. Can anyone advise ,is it best to
    power off and plug out the box each night or put it on standby leaving power connected. I have always plugged out. It does not effect software downloads etc,as they always come through anyway. I'm thinking in terms of safety and also the wellbeing of the box itself. Would appreciate any feedback.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

As most "big" updates are done just before Sky's systems reset their clocks @ 6am you may miss important updates.

We have 2 boxes and always leave them on standby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Thanks for that. I have heard differing opinions on what is actually best for digibox longevity. i.e. if you power off each night it puts a strain on certain parts when powering back on. Also if you leave on standby certain parts may wear quicker due to constant use.
    Also is it still considered a danger to leave TV and Video constantly plugged in .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

These devices do have a standby mode for a reason you know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

if you miss out on a software ugrade during the night you can always perform a forced upgrade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭freetoair

How many of you actually place it on standy.
    I've been a suscriber for nearly two years now, have two digiboxes and leave them on all the time and have never had a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi FreetoAir, having them always on shouldn't lead to any technical difficulties. It just means that you have to pay more electricity, as they consume more when they're on, than when they are in standby.

Funny this...
    I have two boxes.
    One is always on standby overnight as it's awkward to plug out.
    The other is always plugged out at night and not turned on untill evening again.
    Both have the same latest sofware editions etc.
    Have been doing this over a year now.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I plug mine out every night.

Cant stand the thought of anything being plugged in overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Chaps,another digibox observation.
    I have one irish and one uk digibox. The irish one has what seems the newer version of SKy News Active,ie. quicker to get to active section.,whereas the UK one has a different active icon and you actually get a blank screen for about 10 seconds when entering active.(like interactive football). I presume Irish version is the updated one. How do you update or are they(UK) on an older software version. I doubt it! Just curious about this one....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Neither is more up-to-date really, it's just that the UK one brings you into the Interactive Services first before you select News Interactive.

This is so UK viewers can do things like vote online on the Sky News polls.

As we don't have interactive services in Ireland just yet, it wouldn't make much sense for us to be given these options (it also takes longer to get to the news).

When the Irish interactive thing comes online sometime soon, these options will probably appear. Sky has already done a deal with a Northern Ireland telecom company (called Nevada, I think) to provide these services, and they'll probably appear during the summer (see other threads for more info).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Charles

My father got Sky digital today, well, he got a box but doesn't have a card yet, but it is a Panasonic I think. I have a Pace which was installed new about a year and a half ago.

Question is, his box has the 2 part Sky News active sytem but mine goes straight in and ALSO, he has a channel 508, BBC Parliament which I can only view on mine using OTHER CHANNELS options!!

Whats the story???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

He's no card.

If you plugged out your box, removed the card, and plugged it back in again, you would have BBC Parliament and the 2 step SNA.

When he gets the card, all that will disappear....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Originally posted by wolfman
    Charles

My father got Sky digital today, well, he got a box but doesn't have a card yet, but it is a Panasonic I think. I have a Pace which was installed new about a year and a half ago.

Question is, his box has the 2 part Sky News active sytem but mine goes straight in and ALSO, he has a channel 508, BBC Parliament which I can only view on mine using OTHER CHANNELS options!!

Whats the story???

You will get the same EPG if you unplug the box/switch off at the mains for a few minutes, take the card out and plug it back in.

You will also notice he has the BBC radio channels on his EPG.

Glenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

WOW!

Thanks very much for the prompt replies guys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I have 4 digiboxes in the house (1 irish sub, 3 bbc card ones). The 2 in my room are always in standby when I'm not looking at anything, and the ones on the other tvs (that parents look at) are usually left on all the time.

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Originally posted by wolfman
    WOW!

Thanks very much for the prompt replies guys!!

They were prompt weren't they ? And spot on with the answers too !!

You get great service on this forum. Especially from the likes of Glenn and Damo.

Advertisement