Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 optical out

Options
  • 28-03-2002 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know if the optical out on the PS2 is just for DVD or does it output a digital bitstream for game audio also

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yes it does.

Works very well too.. Great for games that support:
    DTS: SSX Tricky
    DD5.1 : Cutscenes in Metal Gear Solid II

more and more games coming out these days feature DTS and DD5.1 support..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Very cool,

I'm off down to richer to pick up a cable now.

Probably should put this in another thread, but while I am at it, does a s-video connection made a big difference to the picture quality out of the PS2, and if it does am I tied into getting an official sony one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

SSX Tricky is a rather strange DTS.. none of the voices used the centre channel, still damn funky sounding tho :)

anyway on the s-video note, yes there should be a noticeable difference in video quality, s-video typically being better than a composite video signal (the single yellow wire), sharper images and much less colour bleeding.

that said, sonys cables (yes you have to buy theirs) are typically bog standard.. if your connecting the video signal via an a/v receiver make sure you get a somewhat decent s-video->scart cable for your amp->tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

i have everything.
    optical cable
    ps2
    5.1 sound
    kick ass amp with optical in
    but i'm not getting anything from the ps2 sound wise ??????
    can anyone help ??

btw it's a sony amp as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

If sound's working fine from your other digital sources then I'd check that the input you're using for the PS2 is set to use the Optical port (it may have Coax and Optical, sony's can usually be set to auto select but you're better off to specifically set the input you want to use).
    I don't know much about the PS2 setup, do you have audio options where you tell it what format the output should be in (eg. Downmix DD or DTS, pay it properly or as PCM etc)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

you have to turn on the optical out in the PS2s system configuration menu... its default is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You may also need to enable digital out, for the particular game you are playing (e.g. MGS2)..

Advertisement