Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Painting advice needed

Options
  • 26-03-2002 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going painting my computers case.
    It's made of Mild steel and has a plastic cover on the front (poly somthing or other).
    I've posted this stuff on this thread, and it has been discussed.
    As I'm going to be using motor spray paints I was wondering if ye could give me any pointers before I start.
    Scroll down to the end of the thread.

Thanks - should've posted alot earlier

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

syxpax goin one step better and puttin a full pc install in his boot!! lol

just a hunche.but i reckon maybe wrong forum! lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Nope he's in the right place, people painting cars have the same problems (I imagine - open to corrections :)) with rust and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Well I've started.
    Sanded the bit of rust that was building up with my trusty belt sander.
    Sprayed on the Grey undercoat, let it dry for an hour, sprayed on another coat - nice and even like :D - let it dry for 2 hours then sprayed on the black. Going to let it set over night out in the garage then going to put on another coat tomorrow if there's enough left.
    Sprayed the previously prepared plastic front and drive covers with the plastic primer - much like the poly-glue for plastic Humbrol models. It bonds with the plastic. Let that dry then sprayed it with the same black stuff - twice in about 2 hours - having gently rubbed the first coat of black with a clean J-cloth to bring up a bit of a sheen(though it['s matt paint anyways).
    Going to leave that for a few days.
    By next thursday i reckon I should be able to spray the whole thing with the Clear coat stuff and elave it for a week before applying the rubbing compund to seal it all in and preven t to much rusting. Might just rub the inside near the paint with some vaseline or something to protect agasint rust-creep from the edges.
    Also have a white Apple iBoook sticker for the side - a bit of a nod and wink to those Mac pervs ;)
    Should be good in the end.

I did make two cockups alldready though - both in relation to the primer stage. When i was giving th top of the case it's second layer of primer the bottom of the can scraped off the top and left a small mark. I then proceeded - unwisely - to try and smooth it out with a cloth, only making it worse. Thinking quickly I sprayed over it and prayed.
    Again when putting the undercoat on the plastic front I decided it could do with a bit more as it looked like it wasn't sitting right. Turned out I ahd a bit too uch and when I went to try and gently carress off the excess it left a rather patch-work design on the still-melty plastic. Balls.
    At least i'll know for again, which is the point of this exercise :)
    Should have an MPEG of it soon - gettignt eh use of a DV cam and a new iBook for the week :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Hmmmm in terms of the thread i'll allow it but i won't be of much help to you i'm afraid

Advertisement