Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dts Es

Options
  • 26-03-2002 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a new AV amp (marantz SR6200). I was told that the amp supported the new DTS ES format. My understanding is that this format is 6.1 as opposed to 5.1 - ie. extra code for an additional rear speaker.

My question is - is DTS ES same as DTS except that it provides encoding for 3 rear speakers as opposed to 2, and also which DVD discs support DTS ES. I was told all DTS discs are also DTS ES. Also what difference are there between DTS ES & THX & DTS MATRIX ? Anyone know more.....:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Ok, as far as I am aware both dolby and dts support a centre rear channel, i.e dts es and dolby digital es or what ever it is called. However both these encodings still use just 5 discrete speaker channels and the centre channel is made of the common sound in the reard right and left channels.

As far as all discs being DTS ES, I did't think this was the case, althought I could be wrong. ALl I can say is that T2: ultimate edition is a DTS ES disc and it said it on the box. That said I did hook up a rear speaker for this movie and it was a nice addition to the sound although not essential. Now I am going to have to get a DTS disc and see if I can get DTS ES from it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Nope they're not all ES, usual half-trained sales folk lies.
    Mayshine's right on all counts.

Advertisement