Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We've been expecting you......

Options
  • 25-03-2002 12:14am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭

we'll i suppose it was only a matter of time before someone tried to emulate the PS2:D got the link to this from emuchina, so as a well respected site you can take this a the truth...
    http://www.psxfanatics.com/

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Jesus you think there would be a little bit more interest then this....
    The prospct of playing Metal Gear solid 2 and gta3 not appeal to anyone?? {LoGiE watches a tumble weeds pass over the emulators board} Kyro??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Whats the point, CD based emu's have never been popular.
    Especially with the majority of the scene being warez monkies.

It would involve having to get original or copied CD's which is (in relative terms) dramatically harder to do than just download and play.

Add to that the powerhouse you would need to emulate something thats running that quick and you've got something no one really cares about.
    Maybe when copied games are cheaper or some such.... but as is, the machine isn't that expensive....

I agree with you in that it would appear to be no point at the momment but the PS2 won't be around forever..
    Do you believe that CPS-3 and dreamcast emulation shouldn't go forward? both are cd based yet there has been a lot of interest particularly in CPS-3
    Getting hold of games would'nt be to difficult as it's already possible to download ISO's from the net.
    Sure you'll need to update your machine but as the next generation of power hungry game's come's along won't you be doing it anyway??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Sounds very appealling...but All it can run are a few demos. Even with meh AthlonXP, i'd say it would still struggle.
    Originally posted by bugs
    Whats the point, CD based emu's have never been popular.
    Especially with the majority of the scene being warez monkies.

It would involve having to get original or copied CD's which is (in relative terms) dramatically harder to do than just download and play.

CD based emu's never popular? Playstation emulation is going strong. I think what your trying to say is that its harder to download massive cd files rather than smaller, older roms. PS1 games are pretty cheap. I see no problem in just buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Ok let me put this in perspective,
    The psx has available copied games everywhere and you can pick up the cd's original for nothing.

Cps-3 is popular for the warez aspect of it all....pretty much

Now from what i remember of bothering to try and emulate most cd based stuffs, it was pretty annoying, not nearly as easy as you think.

Limited bandwidth (i'm using a 10meg college connection but due to other ppl have low upstream and etc.)
    Plus the fact that arcade emu's are usually quite slow to move about, and what few places you can get them from are usually hammered for a month.

Believe me, i'll all up for cd emulated games, i'd love to play saturn/cps-3, maybe finally download brikinger for the neo geo which has evaded me for so long.

End of the day, the bandwidth and space dont really exist anywhere at the moment but it'll come along.

• Advertisement

True ps1 copies are easy to come by but your presuming that this won't happen with ps2 games also?? all you have to do is visit
    www.gamecopyworld.com and there's guide's to copy ps2 games etc..

Cps3 is popular because people loved playing the games in the arcade!!:D and are dying to get hold of an emulator don't no why you believe it's got something to do with warez...

I've downloaded all of the larger rom's and ISO's in college!! there's people who download them over dial up it might take a week but they do it.
    I know of a number of sites that have these roms to download
    CPS3,Entire mame collection and more....and i've no problem downloading from them.

That sites mad dodgy Logie. There are a few links to warez sires off it.

Which site are you talking about gamescopyworld or psxfanatics??
    if you mean psxfanatics it mustn't be TO dodgey because it was mentioned on every major emulation website :D
    With gamescopyworld....maybe, but i thing there mainly concerned with the Legal copying of the cd you bought ie:backup's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

May I humbly suggest this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46437

.... as essential reading to everyone who is inevitably going to post a "HEY LOOK IT SI A PS2 EMULATOR OMG!" post here in the coming months?

(To summarise for the hard of thinking: "No, it's not a PS2 emulator. At best it's a MIPS emulator running at about 10% of the speed of the Emotion Engine, with a bit of Vector Unit processing added on. You won't be playing PS2 games on a PC architecture system for another four to five years, if ever. End of discussion.")

As an avid poster on this forum i've read the thread you've mentioned Shinji.[It started after this one:D] Just thought it would be of interest to emu fans but i'll admit i didn't realise just how far away ps2 emulation is. Well guess we emu fan's will just have to keep dreamin so:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement