Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zinc!!

Options
  • 24-03-2002 8:32pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭

From the makers of s11emu and Impact comes Zinc which replaces those two previous emulators. Here's a list of the supported games:
    Supported with both sound effects and music:
    Street Fighter EX (JP)
    Street Fighter EX (ASIA)
    Street Fighter EX Plus (USA)
    Street Fighter EX Plus (JP)
    Street Fighter EX 2 (JP)
    Street Fighter EX 2 PLUS (JP)
    Star Gladiator 2 (JP)
    Rival Schools (ASIA)
    Justice Gakuen (JP)
    Strider Hiryu 2 (JP)
    Strider 2 (USA)
    Kikaioh (JP)
    Tetris The Grand Master (JP)
    Psychic Force (JP)
    Magical Date EX (JP)
    Battle Arena Toshinden 2 (JP)
    Supported but missing music:
    Beastorizer
    Supported but missing all sound:
    Soul Edge (JP) Ver. A
    Soul Edge (JP) Ver. C
    Dancing Eyes (JP) Ver. A
    Xevious 3D/G (JP) Ver. A
    Star Sweep (JP) Ver. A
    Kosodate Quiz My Angel 3 (JP) Ver. A
    Supported but have serious problems:
    Tekken (JP) Ver. A
    Tekken 2 (JP) Ver. B
    Sonic Wings Limited (JP)

GET IT NOW
    http://www.impactemu.com/

:D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Downloaded it a while ago and been playin ever since, have a go brings the old consoles back to life on your PC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

YA WHAT?? Zinc is an arcade emu and really hasn't been around that long:rolleyes:

By the way lt's see how long it takes everyone to find "firmware.zip" :D:D
    If you do lose all hope...... you can PM me as it's considered a rom so no direct links

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Very unimpressed, was quite looking forward to using the strider 2 rom i downloaded so long ago, but the performance is a bit manky on zinc in comparison with impact.
    Nice changes, cleaner emu of the street fighter games, sound emu especially which had some major bugs in it.

System 11 emu is also nice but can't really tell without the sound and fixes in the more performance intensive games like tekken but soul edge is a good sign.

Thing is, does the thing have controller support cos if it does i can't find it in the short time i messed with it.

Could do with a better cpu (600) but still i can usually wrangle 60 fps out of most emu's.

Hopefully that sange or whatever hes called chap will improve it or someone else will release a less annoying emu (one without plug-in support, cos its "gay") :P

Well it's going to take time to work out the bugs and speed things up a little. It has the makings of a great emulator, and with support for souledge and tekken2 it won't belong before it has a large following either.
    At least it will give people a taste of wacky japanese gaming..
    You played "dancing eye's" What the F*ck is going on??
    It doesn't have controller support yet but obviously it will be added.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

im a bit dissapointed also. i dug out all my old impact roms expecting to whupp some ass in sf ex2 and rival schools but no all i can manage is a "breathtaking" 15 fps. but its only the first release so lets hope it get better.

• Advertisement

Discostu you try the new glide renderer 1.1?
    http://www.impactemu.com/files/glide_renderer_1_1.zip
    It seem's to have improved things a little for me while i'm playing sfex and strider2
    The new version Zinc 0.9 is also available now
    changes:
    What's new since ZiNc 0.5?
    - fixed s11 eeprom
    - added test switch to sonic wings limited
    - added --renderer=<renderer_name> switch to choose rendering plugin
    - added --controller=<controller_name> switch to choose jamma plugin
    - fixed crashing bug for Kosodate Quiz My Angel 3
    - added test switch to Psychic Force
    - added 2nd player to all drivers
    - on error now returns 1 and 0 on sucess
    - controller plugin support
    - tekken 2 geometry fix (BIG HUGE THANKS to calb from ePSXe for this fix!)
    - removed dynachicken tuning switches, nobody could understand them and
    everyone managed to piss away all their performance with them so
    we now use hardcoded values that run all games quickly without crashing.
    - crc32 checking added for ROMs. incorrect/hacked ROMs will no longer
    be allowed to load.
    - psychic force sample rom renamed to match reality
    - input mini-SDK included with instructions on how to write a
    controller plugin.
    - default keys remapped a bit for tekken/soul edge. to remap them
    further write a plugin or wait for someone else to.
    Also mentions that keyboard driver plugin is now open source so hopefully other controller plugin's will start to appear soon {Joypad};)

Errr , unless i've missed something..... glide is resident crap for 3dfx cards, unless you have a 3dfx card you should really need to use a glide wrapper, or so i woulda thought anyway.

Either way i can't imagine most cards that run directx/opengl running better over a glide driver.....
    The emu is just currently bad, much alike most new emu's these days , they're going for compatibilty over performance.

Most of impacts games were pretty stinky, it was impressive about 2 years ago when they actually emulated them, it was quite the feat of genius, but they're actually quite "cr4p" games.
    I think i'll stick with SNK and mariokart :)

dont ever diss rival schools. so version 0.9 is out i will try it later just gotta find the damn cd with rival schools on it.

off topic: has anyone heard of the band called rival schools? there album is called united by fate. pure class

Rival schools either was a spawn of or created this whole "tag system attacks" crap that capcom Versus games have no adopted as standard.

The EX series of SF games made by akira is pretty stinky when compared with say turbo or super SF, toshinden... nuff said.
    Star gladiator, funny to look at all the weird characters with cone heads and stuff but about as interesting a fighting game as clay fighter 3.
    Strider 2, unfortunetly not a patch on strider 1, they should really make a sequel to the actual first strider (and no strider 2 made by US GOLD with capcoms premission does not count cos it stinks :) )

Its a very good emulation project per-say, but the games themselves suck, and i say good in that MAME has not yet "b0rg'ed" the games into its system and thats always a sign of something useful :)

i agree some of the games were bad psychic force truly sucked and street fighter ex was terrible but ex 2 and star gladiatior 2 were quite good. but rival schools was excelent. an imaginative combo system, interesting characters and did do somthing innovative with the tag system.

[edit]

toshinden good? eh no. how that series got to 3 is beyond me. soul edge was a hell of a lot better.

[/edit]

• Advertisement

Most of impacts games were pretty stinky, it was impressive about 2 years ago when they actually emulated them, it was quite the feat of genius, but they're actually quite "cr4p" games.

Err IN YOUR OPINION:D ZiNc isn't impact so i think we can stop reffering to these games as "impact games" [impact is discontinued] ZiNc also emulates
    Soul Edge,Tekken2 which most defo arn't "Stinky" or "cr4p":p
    Agree partly with you about Strider2 it's not as good as the original but
    it's hardly Sh1te either is it?

Calm down lads :)

I didn't take tekken into account, which is good (altho it was unreal for its time, but current tekkens kinda make the old ones look boring)
    Toshinden actually has 5 games, work that one out, and they get increasingly worse!!!!
    I should maybe have referred to the games as impact coded games running under zinc, but then, i ran zinc, got to grips with the setup, turned on a game, checked the fps, laughed and turned it off again, lot of work to be done there.

Alot of these games are fairly old and well, i could be talking from my current idea of these games which is "crap".
    I'm still playing the next itteration of the namco system 12 games, like tekken 3 and tag in the arcade.. when they can be played without busted buttons.
    As for the other games, i think i'll stick to last blade 2 and the standard street fighters.

Hmm... but tekken 1&2 are the only tekken games i can play on my PC ;)
    Alot of these games are fairly old and well, i could be talking from my current idea of these games which is "crap".
    Most emulated games are old hence the need for emulation bugs:eek:
    Christ hate to think what you think of space invaders or pac-land now that better games have come along!:D

Point being, most of these games aren't old enough.

For games like midnight resistance and the like, which i played nearly 10 years ago (and was admittedly sickened by them after a while) its great to be able to go back and play them again.

For tekken (sadly enough i play this to such a level that i'm one of the best in ireland) 1 and 2, its a different situation, they're not that old, the series is still running and the current games, (despite how unimpressive 4 is) still make the older ones look awful.

Absense makes the heart grow fonder and all that stuff, i prefer the older games, or games that i never had the opportunity to play as a kid.
    Games like SF-EX and the like i'm still not liking, that said, i never did and probably never will :)

midnight resistance christ! loved that game and bought it for my c64 then one faithful day i finished the bastard and must addmit never loaded it again;)
    Well tekken1 was realised in '94 and tekken2 in '95 so your lookin at a fair few years in my opinion;) Cps2 was in use right up till 2000 with the newest title emulated being being Marvel Vs Capcom (1998) which is playable in FBA. I suppose who's to say when a system is old? I believe it's usually when there nolonger available to play in the arcades or don't make any cash for the company. I agree with you when you say these games look awful when compared to todays games but nodoubt you may well be sayin the same thing about
    sytem12 games and system573 [Oh to play soul Calibur:D ] in five years time;)
    Absense makes the heart grow fonder and all that stuff, i prefer the older games, or games that i never had the opportunity to play as a kid.

Well my local arcade was a bit of a ****hole but it certainly holds a lot of old memories Killer instinct for one and anything begining with ?vs? from capcom:)
    Games like SF-EX and the like i'm still not liking, that said, i never did and probably never will:)
    Can't argue with that;)

I reckon zinc has a lot of potential esp with games like souledge tekken and rival schools[best not to dis that again eh:D Disco Stu could be watching]
    Finally joystick support has been added which is a huge leap for this emulator...Anyway think i've said enough:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Dave old pal you don`t go to college that often but you do know your gaming, Midnight Resistance is the king of kings on the c64, i`m known to occasionally play it instead of my PS2 and PC. I can still remmeber the cheat"siamese", class game or what. Ne chance of that cable at some stage will swop it for (win2k SP2, OP Flashpoint, Unreal GOTY, or whatever you want that i can get,bar of course a cert in Com Apps)

Check your Pm there Barry. We can negotiate:D

New homepage for ZiNc and Modeler
    www.impactemu.com's gone bye bye......

Check out this excellent frontend;)
    gzinc-0.04.jpg

Click Here for the homepage

Advertisement