Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorbike driving test

Options
  • 22-03-2002 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I'm going to apply for a driving test shortly - it'd be nice to get a few hundred quid off the ol insurance premium. Does anyone know if I can get qualified for an A licence with an A1 bike (ie, my virago 125?).

The gardaí in the local station have informed me that I don't have to do the theory test as my provisional license (i'm now on my 2nd prov) were issued before the theory test came into existence.

Anyone have any more information on what is actually involved in the test and any tips and hints? :)

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Stephen
    gardaí in the local station have informed me that I don't have to do the theory test as my provisional license (i'm now on my 2nd prov) were issued before the theory test came into existence.

That much is certainly true and at least will save you a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but for an A license you have to do the test on a 250cc or above. You can apply for the A1 test if you want. I applied for my test some months ago (just before I changed to a 650 from my 125) so... I'm doing the A test hopefully... soon..?

If you can borrow or get the use of a 250cc bike for the day of the test go ahead and apply for a cat A test tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sheet, I don't know anyone (locally anyway) with anything bigger than a 125.

Still, i'd do the A1 license anyway, it'd be nice to knock a few hundred off the insurance premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

Good luck in your test Stephen, I recently did my test and passed:D. It was my second time doing the test, the first time I did it on my Honda NSR 125 but only had it about 6 months and was nowhere near ready to do the test so....I failed.

This was for an A1 licence. So then I decided that i'd try again in about a year (For an A licence as I'm 24) & as I had planned keeping the bike for 2 years then buying another a 600cc. So I went to the IRISH SCHOOL OF MOTORING and did a 2 hour lesson and then 1 hour before the test & the hire of the bike (I understand that maybe you might not be able to afford this i.e. student or whatever) but I would strongly advise to do this, the guys there are very helpful and after riding for nearly 2 years I've finally got my licence and in about 2 weeks time I'll be buying my new 600cc(with restriction)

Finally: the test includes you driving for about 20/30 minutes, you drive around a block making left hand turns doing this about 3/4 times then he'll ask you to make your U turn, then ask you to drive at walking pace(like driving in slow moving traffic) then ask you to drive around the block this time making right hand turns.

If at all possible apply for RAHENY this test route is a doddle, I've had friends who done there in churchtown and failed it's a much harder route I dont know about any other routes.

As I said before good luck.

(hope your tester's in a good mood):mad:

Ahh well I'll be applying in Kilkenny here - I've no idea what the route is like.

Do I have to know sh1te like hand signals for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

I was only asked 1 what was the signal for slowing down? But there in the book called about your bike or something you can get it free from your Garda station, or in the rules of the road on the section on......"Hand signals"...I think. I couldnt even imagine what the test down the country would be like.

Originally posted by Stephen
    Do I have to know sh1te like hand signals for this?

Well it would be handy to know the hand signals, a buddy of mine didnt use them while on the driving part of the test and didnt pass... (but that could also be due to the fact that he's a shocking driver :P)

Anyway, good luck with the test when you finally get the date

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

yes Stephen, you do need to know the hand signals which are a pain in the ass (I don't like taking my left hand off the handlebar as my right one's pretty weak) you should practice them for a couple of weeks before so they come naturally to you.
    I did my test in Finglas which is an ok place to do it, I passed anyway, it might have had something to do with the fact that it pissed out of the heavens the whole time and the guy probably took pity on the poor drowned rat I was.
    I would point out that as the guy is following you in a car, make sure you almost exaggerate you movements so he can see you.
    ie - I had stopped at a yield sign and looked but in his opinion I hadn't stopped long enough to be sure -
    good luck with it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

The gardaí in the local station have informed me that I don't have to do the theory test as my provisional license (i'm now on my 2nd prov) were issued before the theory test came into existence.

A 2nd prov linence is the only licence which the person can drive without another full licenced driver acomponying then while driving.

But im quite sure you'll have to do the theory when ure current one expires

Eh, this is a motorbike. You can't really have anyone accompanying you, no matter what the licence.

• Advertisement

You could superglue a fully licensed driver to the top of your helmet... Sure it would raise the wind resistance and make you a little more unstable at low speeds but at least you wouldnt be breaking the law...

/me goes off to find some superglue

Something which also amused me for a short time is this whole mobile phone thing.. Technically speaking if you get pulled over by a cop (while on your bike of course) and the cop pats you down and finds a phone in your pocket you'll get 2 months in prison... You might be able to dodge a stay in the big house by informing the cop that you were about to put the phone onto the dashboard... (next to the Air Con controls perhaps?)

Advertisement