Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We are borg

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Kevin Warwick is a loony. Do a search on his name on The Reg. Hardly an authoritative media outlet I know, but read some of his quotes there -- the guy's a total freak, a showman. P.T. Barnum would've loved him.

adam

Captain Cyborg Lives! (The Register)

Nerve implant experiment "a gimmick" (New Scientist)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Prof Warwick (48) believes it also opens up the possibility of a sci-fi world of cyborgs, where the human brain can one day be upgraded with implants for extra memory, intelligence or X-ray vision.

Where can I send money to make sure this happens?

Where can I send money to make sure this happens?

You can send it to me if you want amp. I can't guarantee that it'll happen, but I'll have a good drink while I'm waiting, and I'll let you know when it does. Fairy Nuff?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You could call someone with a pacemaker or internal hearing aid a cyborg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Hmmm maths test today - install math module - woohoo!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

At last we can correct the flaws of humanity, using our new bio implants move ever closer to perfection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Hmmmm - who gets to command the delete key at master control ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

it gets more sinister!
    chips under the skin to track you!!

i know where u live!

Originally posted by Scruff
    it gets more sinister!
    chips under the skin to track you!!
    ON a side note, i think this would be a good idea.

A chip implanted under the skin which contains your name address, criminal record, maybe some medical details, e.g. alergies, mediacal conditions

Different people should be allowed access different information, hospitals, law enforcment etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

Personally I can't wait until we're all hooked up to each other matrix style. We could leave our bodies in the underground hub and hop around the world using our Mech Warrior suits.

er, perhaps not for another 1000 years ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Anyone want to actually discuss serious implications of this research? I mean, in all the sci-fi BS we've sort of forgotten the point of this experiment, which is the creation of digital bridges across damaged neural tissue, particularly spinal cord tissue. The prospect of someone who has been wheel-chair bound for life being able to walk again is not only an encouraging thought, but has huge implications for the field of neurosurgery. Could we try to have an on-topic discussion here though...talk of Terminators and cybernetic genius-bots is all very well for the movie screen, this is a serious discovery with some serious implications- let's try to discuss those for a bit :)

Occy

The human brain works by sending instructions in the form of electrical impulses, much like a computer. So if over time a neural pathway / nerve etc. degrades it should be theoretically possible to bridge the gap using artificial components eg. silicon and resistors. I would question however if these compounds can transmit the impulses quick enough to be of real benifit, or how long would they last and what saftey precautions would have to be put in place to ensure teh silicon doesn't mix with the blood stream (that wouldnt' be too plesent).

sci-fi BS! why i auta :p

Advertisement