Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is the funnest law ever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Good christ, why don't they just fine people for having a steering wheel in case they steer into a wall or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I just though of something.

You can not have your phone on or about your person so unless you get yourself a personnal hands free with either a very long cable or one the uses bluetooth you have to get a full car kit but hold on the phone would still be about your person like FFS. The wording of this law is stupid. I am all for the whole no driving while holding the phone hell thats why I got a personnel hands free for my phone but the fact that if the phone is about your person even if turned off you can be fined or charged fup that. Bobby Molloy you are a gob.

So it looks like I may as well get the T68 with a bluetooth hands free kit :)

kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Whatever about having it turned off, having it turned on in your pocket can cause problems, especially when it is set to vibrate. One of the lads thought there was a mouse or something on his leg and got such a fright he nearly crashed the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Milkman

Its the same principle as if you are drunk and open the drivers door of your car - chargable offence, you must enter by the passenger door.

I'd have to agree with it- I'm tired of nearly getting killed by drivers not paying attention, driving with one hand,chatting on the phone clearly not in full control of their 1 - 2 tonne motorised killing steel block on wheels.
    Either get a built in unit or turn the phone off - its safer for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i wonder have they thought of people who eat at the wheel, or drink.
    or worse, smoke?

i laughed when i heard it on the radio today.
    god, ireland is a laughing stock.

• Advertisement

Making it illegal to be using the Phone while driving is fine.
    No problem with that.
    But just how are they going to enforce the ridiculous part of the law:rolleyes:
    Shur nearly every Guard in the Country should be in the Slammer,so, for having an Aysat Didifone switched on in the squad car...Didn't they hand them out goodo,back when they did the deal on the masts.
    Fine in principal,but impractical.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The idea of a law banning hand held mobile phone use while driving is common sense. But trust this government to rush the wording and mess it up just to try and score some pre-election browny points.

I never use the phone and drive, but I do have the phone visable in the car, so that means I can now be done. OK I can lamp it in the glove box or even the boot but that is pathetic.

Why couldn't they just leave it at something like "using a hand held mobile when driving your vehicle".

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Hand-held CB radio, two-way walkie-talkie systems and similar equipment are all to be covered by the ban. However, hands-free systems such as in-car kits and ear/mouth pieces are not, at least initially.

Does this mean that every time im in my taxi to work the driver has to pull out of traffic and park whenever he gets a call

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I just read that personnal hands free kits are covered by the ban so its car kit of nothing. Like ffs this is crazy. As for the whole taxi driver and co. situ that will be fun. I think Bobby Malloy has just pissed them off again :). Actually hows about the guards they will have to pull over to use they're radios as well :)

kayos

Originally posted by kayos
    Actually hows about the guards they will have to pull over to use they're radios as well
    Usually you find 2-3 gardaí in the one vehicle and the passenger uses the radio.
    Originally posted by fcddunne
    Does this mean that every time im in my taxi to work the driver has to pull out of traffic and park whenever he gets a call
    Taxi drivers rarely have to use the radio when they have a fare (at most once per journey when they are accepting their next fare from their base maybe - or the guys doing personal favours ;)). Taxi drivers just need to configure their radios as 'hands on wheel friendly' (like the buttons on steering wheel for your radio)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gardai released a statement yesterday saying that they cannot enforce this law.

1. It hasn't yet been passed by the Oireacteas(sp?)

2. They have no official ticket books etc., to fine people.

Wohoo!!

A Dept. of Environment spokesman said yesterday, 'If the Gardai are confused, that's their problem.' :rolleyes:

ffs, How many more things can they possibly **** up before the next election? Badly written law. Does this mean that it's illegal for Gardai on their own in a car to answer a call while driving? Never thought of that, did they? :D

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/2002/0321/317281905HM7MOBILES.html
    Phones ban on drivers 'riddled with ambiguity'
    By Alison O'Connor, Political Reporter

According to the regulations, a driver of a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place, "shall not have on or about their person a mobile phone or similar apparatus while in the said vehicle, except when it is parked".

The ban on using mobile phones while driving will be included in the Road Traffic Bill, with an on-the-spot fine, and it will also attract penalty points which could lead to a driving disqualification. The Bill is expected to go through the Dáil before Easter.

What is the actual proposal here is there separate Regulations and the new bill? (a bill is an act that hasn't been passed by the Oireachtas)
    Originally posted by seamus
    ffs, How many more things can they possibly **** up before the next election? Badly written law. Does this mean that it's illegal for Gardai on their own in a car to answer a call while driving? Never thought of that, did they? :D

But emergency services also cross solid white lines when needed (need can be objective), but no one else can, so I think your point is moot. But see my post above.

See press statements on http://www.environ.ie/pressindex.html (20 March 2002)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Give it a week or so, you'll get the actual wording of the law *correctly* without tabloids, and opposition making fun of it.

A phone rining in your pocket when driving is a bad idea. I'm in favour of it having to be off or in a hands free kit, and yes they are allowed.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The UK is thinking of doing a total ban on mobile phones as tests found that people on mobile phones were worse then drunk drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

the whole idea of letting people drive if they can afford a provisional licence is crazy enough, never mind the mobile phones.

some kind of a device needs to be installed into every new car that immobilises any mobile phone traffic within the car. no that’s crazy. :rolleyes:

what are they gonna ban next? having sex in the car?

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Hobbes
    The UK is thinking of doing a total ban on mobile phones as tests found that people on mobile phones were worse then drunk drivers.

Yeah, I saw an article to that effect, and it had me wondering : how do they calculate what a "drunk driver" is? Do they get a sample of thousands of people, get them drunk to varying degrees (under the limit through to cant start engine) and take an average?

And - again - what about ppl on mobile phones. Does it matter about what the conversation is about, and so on?

I dunno - it just strikes me as a very blunt type of comparison which is a bit sensationalist rather than meaningful.

jc

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,51273,00.html

looks like France will be the first country to legalise jamming. i.e. jamming device which will make it impossible for people to receive or make phone calls, text messages or anything associated with a mobile phone in public places that have them installed.

the first place i'd like to see those devices in ireland would be the dublin bus. peace at last. :)

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Heh - I'd like to see jamming implemented in every restaurant and cinema in the country, as well as a number of other places.

Mobile phones are great, but some people really have to learn how to turn them off occasionally.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

and what about people that drive motorbikes or that, are they meant to be taped down to the handle bars or tucked inbehind them on a carrier seat like a passenger? dumbasses.
    The driver of a mechanically propelled vehicle that is in a public place shall not hold or have on or about their person a mobile phone

• Advertisement

it seems reasonable now that they are bringing this law in.
    Motorists talking on mobile phones while driving are more dangerous than those who are over the legal drink-driving limit...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020322/hl_nm/cellphones_reaction_1

adnans

Advertisement