Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting insurance down the Country!!!!!! Is cheaper

Options
  • 16-03-2002 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

I heard of a few people now that hav told me that if i give the address of a relation down the country far away from Dublin i can get covered for alot CHEAPER!!! Has any1 ever heard of this before and does it work????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

yes insurance is more expensive in dublin, but if they find out u were fibbing about where u live and where u're car normally resides, u won't be covered.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Yeah and you could tell the insurance co. that you don't use your car for work-related acts and that actually it's not a 4.2-litre V8, it's really only a fiat bambino 800cc or something...

Bottom line is if your details are incorrect, especially if deliberate, the insurance co. might not honour the policy, in which case it's a stupid thing to do...

One of the guys on here will probably be able to tell you what difference it makes in monetary terms where you live... purely academically like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

might not honour the policy

might not----> will not
    you rip then off,they rip you off!

Cheaper outside dublin,because greater risk of theft,accident etc

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Its not cheaper outside Dublin if you have a house down in say.. Longford, and you travel to work in Dublin, the rate of your insurance will be priced on as if you did live in Dublin.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Yeah... the "might" was there because I suppose you "might" also get away without them finding out :rolleyes:

Which brings me on to this:
    My nephew was looking at cars in a Japanese Importers place... and the fool tring to sell was telling him that he could buy a starlet gt turbo but just insure it as a regular 1.3 starlet... which apparently is what a lot of "kiddiots" are doing...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

Licksy dead rite there,

same to all the fellas with big boot installs and body kits,they cost a fortune to buy but they never bother to inform their insurance co's,so when the thing is broken into and bout €1000 of ICE is robbed,or even worse still, entire car is robbed and found burnt out,the robbing b@stards(insurances companies not the muppets that robbed it lol) only pay the value of the car,as its standard value.

Anything that alters the car in anyway has to be declared.
    I dont see the logic why they just dont do it,because at the end of the day its thier loss!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Insurance companies will always find ways to wriggle out of claims; and will pick up on the slightest discrepancies.

If you have a residence down the country that you drive your vehicle to on a regular enough basis I can't see the problem Insuring it at that address. Especially if the majority of your driving is in that locality.

And the difference in Insurance rates are sometimes amazing... for example if I were to get Insured on say a Yamaha R1 1000cc sportsbike outside the pale I'd probably pay around 25-30% of what I'd pay in Dublin if not less.... it would still be expensive but it would be affordable.

At the end of the day however you have to be truthful. Insurance is a waste of money if your Insurer can turn around and catch you out somewhere and not pay your claim if you crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Right there are about 6 or 7 different areas you can be rated in and Dublin is not the the highest priced. Its Louth and and a few surronding areas me thinks (I can find out in a couple of weeks). As for Dublin it used to be Dublin county and about a 25 mile radius beyond that and the reason for the high prise was given before thieft and damage etc. is more likely in those areas. These areas are always changing. These factors also exist for home insurance btw.

As for saying you live down the country they will not pay out on a claim due to a law which if I remeber my JC business studies right is called "Utmost good faith" ie that you will will in your form truthfully and if anything changes to let them know.

The whole one area has a higher price than another thing is one area of insurance I beleave they got it right. If all the cars in town x (which has a high populus) keep getting nicked and burned out why should a small community with a low population have to pay huge premiums!!

kayos

Advertisement