Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are real exams marked as badly as the pres?

Options
  • 15-03-2002 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Our pres came back and they were shamefully corrected.I only got in the late 60s in History for a test that was worth at least 80 something.It was obvious they didnt even read some parts of my paper!And I only got 60 in higher English[highest in class amazingly]for 17 foolscaps of high quality writing.Are the real exams marked this shoddily?I should hope not:( :mad: :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Our mocks were marked by the teachers themselves, I got my best result in my worst exam :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

The mocks are marked by university students and people like that. They are paid hardly nothing. Thats why the mocks are marked so badly. For the real thing you can always get your script back afterwards if you want to see if the correcter made a mistake. Then you can sue them :)

...ok only messin about sueing them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

ah sometimes the lc correctors can make a fair old mistake with the correction thats why i recommend you view all your texts to see if you deserved more

/me remembers his english last year first result was a d3 then i got it checked and upgraded to an A2 hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

wtf D3 -> A2?
    m8 of mine was upgraded in like 3 subjects and went up an extra 25pts...which was enough for his course but upgrades came too late for random selection so is now repeating :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

heehee last year when we did our LC mocks one girl got something like 40 out of 30 in an Irish question. No messing. You can't really trust the mocks results. I ended up getting less in irish in the real thing than I did in the mocks. just concentrate on the bigger picture. And remember even the real things are shoddily marked at times. So basically, where the Dept. of Education ad Science is concerned, take absolutely everything with a great big pinch of salt!!!!!!

chill and best of luck to all concerned.:cool:

roxy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I did it 4 yrs ago and I think 5 out of 8 subjects I did, the teachers were examiners as well- and they all say, they mark "fairer" in the actual exams.

The thing about it is though, that goes for everyone and even if YOU get a good mark you are still competing against your peers who should receive the same treatment in the marking, so its a bit of a catch 22 situation. Put it this way, dont depend on the examiners to bail you out if you dont do the study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

i did it last year and i actually thought they marked it pretty easy in the real LC. i did much better than i though i would have....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are unlikely to see anything more than a change of a single grade, e.g. B -> A or B -> C.

Points wise, I imagine over 5-7 subjects that you mocks will be close enough to the real thing (certainly within 50 points).

Remember when picking courses to be optimistic in the number of points you expect to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I did nothing for the mocks, absolutely nothing like, not even the revision homework we've been getting lately, I intend to do a bit for the real thing, so hopefully my results will be a lot better, if it was only going to make a difference of 50 points I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

well i can say from experience your better off studying. even though i did pretty well in my lc i could have done much better and the fact that i dropped out of higher level biology 2 weeks before real test was a bit silly. Failed all except english biology cst engineering and tech drawing in mocks passed everything in real thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

have gotten 2 of me mock papers back........bus was marked grand but y'd sware the guy who marked the phyics paper had never seen a phyics book in his life...looked more like random tick's n x's more than anything else.I only got 95%...deservered 98% by my calcuations :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Mills
    I did nothing for the mocks, absolutely nothing like, not even the revision homework we've been getting lately, I intend to do a bit for the real thing, so hopefully my results will be a lot better, if it was only going to make a difference of 50 points I wouldn't bother.

Sorry my point was if you make a genuine effort the difference should be less than 50 points. If you haven't made an effort to date and you do now the difference could be much greater - easily 100 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

few days ago, thursday, on the train from malahide to bray there was a teacher/examiner nervously sitting and correcting piles of papers right there on the train (looked like english papers to me). the papers looked very official and the guy didnt even bother to read any of the answers, a quick glance was all he needed to mark the work.

quite pathetic if you ask me.

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

I got my mock maths and physics papers rechecked and I got put up in both of them (to A2 and A1 respectively)! mock papers are marked terribly!

Advertisement