Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The stamping of tiny feet

Options
  • 15-03-2002 8:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Some of you may be familiar with DigitalSpy. A fine board, but there are a number of folks there who are actively hostile, to put it mildly, to RoI Sky Subscribers getting BBC Digital (or any BBC at all) and ITV, C4 and C5.

If a few propellerheads get their knickers in a twist about us - do you think that such hostility could be reflected in official (Sky and Broadcasters) attitudes to RoI - ie, you've got BBC 1 and 2 and that's yer lot, you ungrateful bogtrotters.
    :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I understand what you're saying, and it may well be a factor in the BBC's thinking, but I reckon that Sky are far too interested in the bottom line (i.e profit rules !!) to let near-sighted xenophobia get in the way of a fast Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

And by the way, wasn't "Xenophobia" a very big word for a Friday morning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

It would be a very big word to say on Monday morning!!

Try it!! :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Well done Charles. :D

I have to agree that a certain number of DigitalSpy members are a bit over the top regarding us watching the UK channels. However the majority are a fairly decent lot and I would hope that this is the situation in the BBC, ITV, Ch4 and Sky.

From my dealingings with Sky I must say that 99% of them are very polite and try to help if they can. Of course there are exceptions...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

One thing I notice more of on digitalspy than here is that if we have discussed it before here, we will steer a newbie to the thread where we talked about it before. Never happens over there.

Call it Public Service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Ah Damo, you know that we are the best. It is our duty to help the rest of them get to out level. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    I have to agree that a certain number of DigitalSpy members are a bit over the top regarding us watching the UK channels. However the majority are a fairly decent lot

i saw this more than ever last night. i would not say anything in regards of us getting anymore british telly channels. it isn't worth saying it because the head would have been bitten off of me. it aint worth my few minutes on line. i will more so talk about british telly and its availability here than there. i am not cutting their necks here, i am simply saying not all but only some over there understand the cable/satellite situation regarding extra channels here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Brian OD

I cannot see what their problem is.

Only the BBC is funded by their licence fee...and we are paying BBC1 & 2. ITV, C4 and C5 are funded by advertising.

And why stop their objections at terrestrials? The same logic could be applied to denying us the Sky channels.

I'm sure they wouldn't object to RTÉ and TV3 on their systems (before anyone asks why...Euro football on Tuesday and choice of games on Weds, many American series are ahead etc).

They're a nation of begrudgers with chips on their shoulders if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Brian OD

They're a nation of begrudgers with chips on their shoulders if you ask me.

...and this from an irishman! :D

Sorry just had to point that out, though the comments above are spot on.

Mike.

Heck in my sometimes very quick on line moments:p
    I didn't open this thred untill today because I thought it had something to do with Kid's harming digiboxes:D

I agree with the sentiments above,but would add that traditionally we in Irelands 2 channel now four and not that long ago one channel land always went out of our way to get the UK terrestrials for the pre sattelite era choice.
    Heck in the days of Wanderly Wagon RTE started at six and ended at eleven.
    On Good Friday and similar "Holy" days, the schedule was wall to wall documentaries and Dour films about Padre PIO ( a very nice man...but...)
    The "foreign stations" as many called them were what catapulted RTE into eventually ariving into the 20th century with their Programme schedules and broadcasting hours.

So really in my view we here in ROI have a different mind set towards getting the UK channels which is bred into us.
    This mindset, in common with many things Irish, quite a lot of English people do not understand.
    mm

• Advertisement
Advertisement