Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Digital broken :(

Options
  • 15-03-2002 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Tonight my NTL Digital died after only last week celebrating its 2nd month birthday. I've been using the Pace box, running Software V5.29. The box has tended to over-heat in recent days, resulting in pixelation and frequent channel loss. Well tonight it just gave up; screen froze. Multiple reboots only resulted in the "tune" and "nit" messages rotating on the LCD display. The Diagnose screen is still active, informing me it's not able to tune to the home freq. NTL Customer care have informed me my box has "died" and will need to be replaced with a "newer model". She informed me it would be a different make to my Pace one. Does anyone out there have this "newer model"? Well I've to wait a week for an engineer to call out. Back to analogue for me :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jessica

stuck on tune is something to do with signal going to the digital set top box as far as i am aware. I don't think that you would need the digital box to be changed to a new model. aren't they all the same by pace anyway - crap.

As for the engineering screen, i would say that they would be ok as if not it would not have worked in the first place.

So i really wouldn't bother about that one.

Maybe if you reboot the digital box again you may find that the signal will come back.

just a little tip, you never know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Thanx for the tips. Fortunitely when I let the box cool down for a 24hour period, 30mins - 1 hour wasn't enough. It came back on. In relation to the Diagnose screen, it's nice to seen what the exact error messages the boxing is actually throwing, thus this screen proves useful. As this wasn't the first time the box has overheated and malfunctioned, NTL are still advising the box be replaced.

inside info cable guy, really... wouldn't ntl shun such things :D people on the inside letting customers know how things actually work. ohh dear.

to be honest, Patrickmooney, if it is ok now, i would not recommend swapping out the box, only if it happened again would i think it wise to swap the box out. Who knows maybe you will get another chance when ntl don't show up to change the digital set top box.

Good stuff working with ntl - didn't think there was any good stuff ! well thats just what i have heard!!

;);):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Why are NTL engineers frightened by customers knowing how to access the "diagnostic screen". The NTL enginear who called around was surprised I knew how to access it. I informed him there where full detailed error message on it which relate to the tuning problem, but alas he didn't want to view them! He wanted to know how I found out how to access this screen.....ummmmm

• Advertisement

I agree with cableguy, these engineering screens don't show much, other than the fault log. and if the majority of ntl customers know about this, they would no doubt mess around with the screens and hey presto disaster, as if things aren't bad enough as they are for poor ntl.

as for a free ladder cable guy that i suppose would come in handy if i ever saw an ntl technican using one. :D

Advertisement