Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Ireland?

Options
  • 14-03-2002 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

I live in the south east. i am just wondering does anyone REALLY agree with me when I say I couldnt give a monkeys about a united Ireland. Its just an opinion

Do I want one? I dont really care.
    I feel as Irish as the next man and i dont need a united ireland make me feel anymore Irish

I dont want to sound flippant but I reallt dont care what goes on in the North. Yes i know bad things happen, but bad things happen evrywhere!

I dont think I am alone here. I know its not the thing to say but thats how i feel

What do i think of SF, DUP, UFF, INLA, IRA etc.?

I think they are a bunch of bonehead yobbos

Do I want them part of Ireland

To tell the truth, Not really

Anyone agree with me?

Ulster says NO and so do some of us down here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I've posted this elsewhere but anyhow...

I've been reading the comments on www.utvinternet.com recently and the level of bigotry and stupidity displayed is incredible mostly by our unionist ‘friends’. The romantic idea of a united Ireland is all well and good but we'd then become responsible for said bigots... no thank you very much. These nut balls can stay where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I like the idea of a United Ireland.

Theres so many obsticales its probably only an dream at this stage.
    But in principle i would like to see us living together peacfully in a united Ireland.

X

Generally speaking I treat anyone of whatever religion/politics the same.
    But I'm mindfull that others don't.... :(
    Especially up North.I think the numbers game for nationalists up there is improving rapidly.
    Now that doesn't mean a united Ireland once , it goes 51:49.
    But there will be changes in representation. I notice Sinn Fein are The largest individual party on Belfast City Council.
    If Nationalist numbers continue to rise, it won't be long before they have a mayor for a spell.
    Thats Democracy.
    Maybe this is wishfull thinking, but as more and more "green" public representatives are elected,the unionist population will learn to get on with them and vice versa.
    Bigotry is really an ignorance being "fertilised" so to speak by those who want to maintain the problem as bigger than it otherwise would be.
    To paraphrase the late George Harrison " It's going to take time, a whole lot of......."
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Madman,

I think you are on about this breeding out the Protestants and then we will get a United Ireland. Nationalists seam to be of the understanding that everyone will go whoppee a united Ireland.

No thank you.

We have enough idiots, bullies down here as it is. You can hold on to them all Your Majesty!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

The problem I see for a United Ireland would be that if partition was ended the Unionist paramilitaries would be fighting to get Northern Ireland back into the UK as hard as the IRA were fighting to get it out.

But that doesn't mean I have no sympathy for the nationalist population up there. They're Irish as much as the rest of us. So by saying you don't give a monkeys about NI you're including them.

The reason I think Trimble wants to emphasize his moronic view of the south is that things have changed. ROI is not the backward papist bogland it once was. We have a strong, growing economy and if this continues, some loyalists might start to think about the possibility of Irish unity.

There is the argument that the UK pumps the money it does into NI because of partition and if Ireland was united both parts would benifit. Who knows?

I would only support unity if the majority of both communities support it, which is, I believe, stated in the Good Friday agreement. Otherwise what's the point? Replace the English army with the Irish one and leave the towers up? Feck that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement