Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl's digital service

Options
  • 14-03-2002 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

I got a leaflet through the door the other day, saying that NTL's Digital service is now available in my area.

I already have Sky Digital but, having more money than sense (but really not much of either), I'm slightly interested.

So what I want to know is - what do the people who have it think of it ?

Is the channel selection good ?

Is the EPG easy to use ?

Has it got a planner facility (for reminders and recording) ?

Is anyone still experiencing picture break-up or locked boxes ?

Is it good value ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There is a complete channel list and screenshots of the EPG on

http://icdg.tvfromireland.com

Channel list: http://www.iolfree.ie/~icdg/tuning_ntl_godigital.htm
    EPG: http://www.iolfree.ie/~icdg/ntl_dig_epg.htm

The EPG shots are from the NTL Home Digital service in NI, but I'm reliably informed that NTL Go Digital in Dublin are using the exact same EPG. Sans interactive, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

what do the people who have it think of it

Its great. Its a cheap alternative to Sky Digital with all the main channels. I couldn't be without it.

Is the EPG easy to use ?

Very easy to use. The Remote is powerfull and simple.

yes

I have not experienced any of this and have had it for months now.

Is it good value ?
    Very good value. Esp if you already have the anaolgue package.

NTL's Digital service is now available in my area
    It is available nearly everywhere now. They did a major expansion recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 reb

I only just got the NTl Digital installed & seemes to be fine except for a few 'strange' anomolies.

1. Why o why does it display TV3 in the corner when scanning through diary or settings?

2. Why does there appear to be 2-3 sec delay with digital channels i.e. its 2-3 secs behind the standard cable version.

3. Is the digital output nicam stereo as the standrad cabel are?

4. Anyone else think the up/down page on remote for changing channels is awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Charles I have Go Digital and if I were you and already had Sky
    digtal I would'nt bother, I dont think you'll gain any channels
    but you will pay about €10 extra. I've had a few lock up probs which have required the box to be unplugged for several hours before a succesful re-boot. The remote is the world worst, truely
    awfull to scroll channels with and the infra-red beam is very
    picky, you have to be pretty much square on, so don't even think about changing channels via the walls or ceiling! :D

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Originally posted by reb
    I only just got the NTl Digital installed & seemes to be fine except for a few 'strange' anomolies.

1. Why o why does it display TV3 in the corner when scanning through diary or settings?

It should be a loop of Front Row movie trailers. Is there a "Front Row Preview" channel on NTL Go Digital? (It wasn't mentioned in the list I was supplied). If so, this is what is supposed to be shown in that corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

So what I want to know is - what do the people who have it think of it ?
    ~ Very satisfied

Is the channel selection good ?
    ~ I like it. "Studio" "TCM" & "Carlton" + the discoveries and news give hours of excellent viewing imo.

Is the EPG easy to use ?
    ~ My mother can use it. In other words..simple.

~ Yes reminders and auto tuning and all the rest.

~ Cant say ive ever spotted more than two breakups in one sitting. Havent seen one in a while too. As for locked boxes i get them sometimes when i flick quickly down below the first channel..rare.

Is it good value ?
    Excellent. I had the sports package beforehand and it cost just an extra £5 pound on top of that for the full pack. Add to this the fact i can still watch the analogue on the other tellys in the house (absolutely indispensable in my house) its a good buy. ps. looks great on a big wide-screen tv.

Dotsie.

Ntl must read these boards,as only a few short months ago,there was a Loooooong thread regarding its inavailability.

ICDG-Do you know exactly how much of Dublin are they covering now? Have they decided that if the signal is strong enough down thirty year old cable then it's possible?
    mm

Do you know exactly how much of Dublin are they covering now

AFAIK, it is probably all of Dublin. When I phoned in January they told me that they had now upgraded 200,000 of their 300,000+ customers to Digital. Their ads no longer contain in small print that it is only available in some area's. All or nearly all of their customers are now in a area where Digital is available.

The NI version has the loop of Front Row movie trailers. The ROI version has a loop of TV3.

Is there a "Front Row Preview" channel on NTL Go Digital

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Originally posted by Dotsie~tmp
    ...Add to this the fact i can still watch the analogue on the other tellys in the house...
    Dotsie. [/B]

Did the installer ask any awkward 'How many tellys' questions?

Did the installer ask any awkward 'How many tellys' questions?

Nope. Thank god! I closed the doors to the other rooms for fear that he would see the other TV's and say something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

"Did the installer ask any awkward 'How many tellys' questions?"

Lol...i wouldnt worry about that. The installer i had just hooked up the downstairs TV and ignored the cable feeding the rest of the house. When i offered him a few quid to hook it up to the rest of the TVs he just said he couldnt cos his work was inspected by the boss and he might be sacked. Ive had no inspector to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Anybody know of any plans for a launch of BBC News 24, BBC Choice, BBC 4 and ITV 2 on ntl digital?

NTL should use their broadcast connections in the UK to try and get these on as Sky aren't bothered. I would definatley consider signing up then! They managed 5 Live in Dublin! Play UK, UK Horizons & UK Gold are another three channels I couldn't go without if I was to drop Sky, I'm amazed they don't do them! :eek:
    They are the channels I watch most with Sky...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Originally posted by David C
    Anybody know of any plans for a launch of BBC News 24, BBC Choice, BBC 4 and ITV 2 on ntl digital?

With BBC World launching on NTL, there's no way that BBC News 24 is going to appear. It also suggests that the Beebs won't make an appearance either (if it had have been BBC News 24, it would have been more likely).

It's strange that they went with BBC World, it's not a very interesting channel. Obviously a deal with BBC Worldwide.

They really don't seem to be getting the best channels, do they ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You said it Charles! NTL are just a bunch of cheapskates who I heard this morning are possibly going to declare "Chapter 11"
    status later this week.

Mike.

Advertisement