Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why bother with insurance

• 13-03-2002 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

The gards where I live are not exactly the best gards I
    have met, I am 18 and have three bikes and a car
    (cbr250,ts100,nsr125,ford feista) I have been pulled over
    by the gards three times and havent been caught yet.
    The first time on my ts100 and they were looking for tax,
    which I had none. I told them I only had the bike two weeks
    and I was on my way to tax it they didnt even ask for a
    licence.

The second time I was at a bike rally on my cbr 250 and
    they were asking again to see tax and as u would, I stopped
    and they didnt even ask me if I had tax, all they did was check
    my tyres.

The third time was in a town when I had to drive home my friends
    bike because he had drank a bit. At four in the morning as I was taking off a unmarked car drove out in front of me and three gards
    got out. They asked me who I was, I gave my friends name and
    adress and they asked me if I was drinking and I said no, they
    didnt even breathalise me. They appoligised and went away.

So whats the point in insurance?

Is insurance a waste of time? 5 votes

Its a complete waste of time.
    0% 0 votes
    Its only useful if you injure yourself or someone else
    100% 5 votes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

mindboggle.jpg

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Bloody hell the point to insurance is easy you crash and damage your vehicle or someone elses property or even someone else and the insurance covers you plain and simple. It wouldn't be nice to crash into a brand new bmw and do unbtold damage and not have insurance as you would be sued for every last penny and on top of that you would be charged for driving without insurance. Basiclly the point in getting insurance is that it is against the law to drive on a public road without it.

kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

the point of insurance is that if you have a crash that the insurance compnay pays for it and not you. Aslo those situtation with the gardai were all in Kerry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭wee man

With gards like that why bother with insurance. Your not going to be stopped from driving without insurance with gards like that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by wee man
    With gards like that why bother with insurance. Your not going to be stopped from driving without insurance with gards like that.:)

and if you crash, and you get some nice injuries like whiplash or broken legs, or preferably paralyzed, your insurance will pay for the hospitalisation. which you wont get so hopefully the remander of your unhappy life will be unpleasant.
    no insurance. you blithering idiot. its people lke you that cause everyone elses insurance to go up.
    twat

That is the most mind numbingly stupid reason not to have insurance I have ever heard. OK the guards might not stop you but your bike/car meeting a another car/bike at high speed will and then the guards will have a nice little chat to you :rolleyes:

kayos

Are u stupid. Thats what I am on about.
    To stop people like me that cant afford insurance
    the gards will have to improve their way of stopping this.

I amnt debating what kind of injuries u can get without insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by Simpsons_-_Comic_Book_Seller.gif
    WORST. THREAD. EVER.

Hey smak, everyone is intitled to their own opinion.

your opinion is liable to get people into SERIOUS trouble.

*spanks wee man

How so?:confused:

you started a thread about insurance with 2 poll options:

-Its a complete waste of time.
    -Its only useful if you injure yourself or someone else

if you had any sense you wouldnt have posted this at all, but you should have added "it's 100% neccessary and benificial and it's the law to have it.

Sorry smak, this by the way is the person that wanted to drive home on monday with about 4 wiskeys and 3 other drinks in him and is going for a pint this evening and going drving home after.

please lock this thread and remove those drunken smak stories. thank you.

[btw: i did NOT (and would not) drive home after having 1 drink. let alone a few.]

smak urer full of s**t, and I will stop with the stories if u admit that u were going to drive home.

Are u stupid.

No I am not stupid
    Thats what I am on about.
    the gards will have to improve their way of stopping this.

I amnt debating what kind of injuries u can get without insurance.

If you can not afford insurance do you think you could afford the cost of having a crash!!!

In case you dont know every car and bike has to be taxed at least once or you dont get your plates now when you do this all your information is stored in a office in Limerick (I think thats where it is) and every time you get insurance the insurance comapny sends a notification to that office so they know if you dont have insurance.

How would you feel if some person crashed into your favourite bike totaly writting it off and to find he has no insurance? fairly pissed I think.

It is just common sense to have it actually scrub that its law to have it.

you deserve this
    flamingmuppet.jpg

kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

wee man, you're a complete idiot. Its fvckheads like you that cause insurance premiums to skyrocket for the rest of us.

Funnily no-one mentioned the fact that without insurance, you can **** up someone else's life. Fine, if you don't care about getting comeback for your own injuries on your insurance, then just get third party. How would you like if some guy with no money to his name, and no insurance put you in a wheelchair? Some form of compensation would be nice, to pay off the huge extra costs you would now have. But of course, he doesn't have any insurance, and a pittance of income, which means you receive €30 a month from him as compensation. Great.

Insurance is there to protect other road users, not you. It may be law, but it's certainly something I'd have even if it wasn't compulsory. So the Guards don't check, so what? Be a decent human being and have some prudence. Don't just scab on insurance cos you can get away with it. That's primary school mentality. Btw:-

Caught driving without insurance can get you bans and jail time. A guy recently was driving his friends car home, 'cos his friend was drunk, and received a 10 year ban and 6 months suspended sentence. He thought he had open drive insurance, and well, he was doing his mate a favour. Still he was ****ed.

If you are in a collision, and one person has no insurance, he is at fault, regardless of the circumstances (excluding one driver being drunk of course), and liable for all costs incurred as a result.

If they're not incentive enough to make you get insurance, then you're an idiot and should not be on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Originally posted by seamus
    Funnily no-one mentioned the fact that without insurance, you can **** up someone else's life.

Actually us (the insurance paying public) end up footing the bill.
    Thanks mate

3 bikes and a car and you cant afford insurance on a ford fiesta????

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

if someone hit me and didnt have insurance, i would kill them.
    no.
    seriously.

i would actually kill them. if i was in anyway harmed, my life wouldnt be worth living, but i would organise for the person to be brutally beaten and dragged to me where i would personally murder them.

its a personal thing though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

wee man... you are the devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

well done weeman! you've just gone and redefined the term "fuckwit"!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

baby.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Insurance is a necessary evil.
    Although I will say that in my 6 years of driving, I have yet to be asked to produce my insurance cert. I could have got away with a fake disc, although if I had one, I'd probably crash into a garda knowing my luck.

Oh and thanks for being part of the reason why insurance is a rip off, wee man.

hey just to let yee know. Bike insurance and car insurance are two different insurance types and a person crashing a bike does not effect the price of car insurance.

Also stephen you dumbass the only thing that has made insurance go up is people that have crashed that had insurance,
    Because the insurance company that insures the veichle in fault has to foot the bill for all damages. That why insurance is so high.

winning hand-my insurance for a ford feista is nearly four and a half grand(punt)

and to you nerb666 you have been insured for 6 years. Then you would know that what I said above applys

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Any chance we can get a basic IQ test for people like wee man wanting to register for the boards? Nothing too difficult, something like this:

1. Are you a twat?

2. Are you sure?

3. Ah but no, seriously your a twat right?

4. So that settled then, you're a twat.

5. What's your name?

6. I'm sorry Neo, Morpheus and Trinity are already taken. We do have a lovely selection from the film "Hackers" though. Alternatively why not just use the handle "twat69"?

7. When posting to the boards, will you assume that that they've all been waiting for your nuggets of wisdom for eons or will they in fact think you're a twat?

8. Will you avoid answering rational points put towards you during your deliberately controversial posts and instead make even more intensely stupid remarks?

9. 2+2?

10. When you join the boards will you insert a minimum of four smilies (with a mandatory :p) in every single post you make (when you learn how)?

11. Will you create a huge masterpiece of art containing your name and a Photoshop lens flare and insert it in your sig?

12. Have you ever broken a rib so you could give yourself oral self-pleasures?

13. Are you the product of two close relatives sexual relations?

14. Are you pent up with rage against authority and have a massive desire to bring it down?

14a. Are you a firm believer in the concepts of communism as a viable form of government?

14a1. Are you a firm believer in the concepts of anarchy and wish to try and organise yourself to creating a structure by which you can recruit a number of followers dedicated to the cause of anarchy?

14b. Do you feel it's ok to talk on a public forum about stuff that's illegal?

14c. Are you prone to feelings of oppression?

15. Are in fact very shy in real-life(tm) and feel that boards.ie is the ideal place to reveal "the real you"?

16. Do you have nothing else to do all day but go to each and every forum and reply to posts with virtually nothing intelligent? Do you think that if you post enough people will actually start to like you?

17. Grammar. Foreign land or the system of inflections, syntax, and word formation of a language?

18. Punctuation. Genre of anarchic rock music or the use of standard marks and signs in writing and printing to separate words into sentences, clauses, and phrases in order to clarify meaning?

19. Spelling. Tori's second name or putting letters in the correct order to make a word?

20. Does annoying people stimulate you sexually?

21. After being banned for the first time, will you not get the message and reregister under a different nick?

22. Will you respond to this post with the words "amp test" cos you think it's the most originally unpredictable and hilarious thing you could possibly say?

23. Will you regret the fact that years from now, people will long memories will still think you are a muppet even though you grown out of those testosterone fuelled teenage years and finally copped on?

24. Are you void of any sense of humour whatsoever?

25. Will you constantly not understand the concept of trolling and be baited into every single thread containing controversy?

26. Are you an authority on absolutely everything?

27. Do you even understand the concept of a civil debate?

28. Do you often make outrageously stupid arguments without backing them up with evidence or even understanding what the topic is about?

29. Do you have the urge to tell people all about yourself and assume that everybody’s really really interested?

30. Do you assume that because boards.ie is on the intarwab it is therefore not real and you can say whatever you like?

31. Are you under the impression that if people don't agree with you, they are automatically entered on to your list of enemies and therefore deserve to be told that they are a dumbass?

32. Does having a large post count stimulate you sexually? Does it? Does it make you all hard and moist? Do you want to whip it out right now and shout "UNNNFF! UNFFF! 100 POSTS11!" as you climax?

Thank you for testing twat69. Your results will be available once we decipher your l33tsp3&k.

First off I want to say never in my years on boards has 1 person vexed me so much by displaying such a lack of brain power.
    hey just to let yee know. Bike insurance and car insurance are two different insurance types and a person crashing a bike does not effect the price of car insurance.

OMG how thick can you get I have worked in insurance for 3 years and I can tell you its no different. They charge you to cover the cost of any vehicle causing damage to anything. Why is bike insurance cheaper so? Easy because a £1000 moped is cheaper to replace than a £10000 car. Also you only get TPF&T cover on a bike where as you can get Comp cover on a car.
    Also stephen you dumbass the only thing that has made insurance go up is people that have crashed that had insurance,
    Because the insurance company that insures the veichle in fault has to foot the bill for all damages. That why insurance is so high.

No its not actually you small brained (if you have a brain at all) idiot. It ppl like you that cause the price hike. You crash into some one and dont have insurance you cause untold damage the that said person. Right their insurance company pays their bills and hey what do you know you dont have insurance so they have to fork it out and then pay for legal proceedings to get it out of you and I dont think your poclet money would pay for a minor operation you little brat.
    winning hand-my insurance for a ford feista is nearly four and a half grand(punt)

We all have to put up with stupid prices on insurance bit the bullet and pay up and if you cann't pay up dont drive the bloody thing on public roads.

kayos

Originally posted by kayos
    We all have to put up with stupid prices on insurance bit the bullet and pay up and if you cann't pay up dont drive the bloody thing on public roads.

*Applause and cheering

Exactly. WTF would you want with 4 bikes and a car anyway? If the car insurance is too much, just drive the bikes, like I'm gonna do. After 18 months driving in Dublin, I've come to a conclusion anyway. Cars are only good for driving down the country, and helping your friends move house. So drive a bike in the city. If you need something big brought home, grab your friend/parent to drive you. If you need to go a trip > 45miles, get a train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Plenty of good reasons to have insurance.

If you get caught you'll be looking at a fine of about €1000 for a first offence. You'll probably be given only a month to pay the fine if you don't bother to show up in court. Don't pay the fine on time and its a week in prison for your trouble. You'll get your license endorsed, meaning a much higher premium. You'll lose your license for 12 months (although you can get it re-instated after 6 months - not many people know that). Continue to drive without insurance & license and you can be looking at a prison term/massive fine.

Just to clear up some of the earlier comments. If someone without insurance crashes into another person, it makes no difference whatsoever to the injured party - they merely take a claim against the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland. The uninsured driver is looking at financial ruin however, as they (the Bureau) can seek to enforce any judgement against the uninsured driver. The sherrif could then seize assets, including your PC (and 4 cars). Believe me, it happens.

Every week, in the District Courts around Ireland, literally thousands of people get done for having no insurance. You may think you're getting away with it (they all did) but its only a matter of time, I'm afraid. Personally, I don't care, its all fees for for the lawyers at the end of the day.