Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE/TV3 in NI

Options
  • 13-03-2002 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi everyone!!! First time e-mailer!!! I want to ask that when (whenever that may be) RTE and TV3 launch on Sky Digital in Northern Ireland, will some programmes be blocked (e.g. Friends. ER and some of the sports coverage) and, if so, what would appear in their place? Would it be a similar situation to NTL up here, which puts a standard "apology caption" when programmes like "Home and Away" are on Network 2?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

At the moment there is no way of knowing whether or not this will happen. So far it has only been Channel 5 that have kicked up a fuss over Home & Away.

You will not know for sure until you see for yourself.

There was talk that some of the programmes on BBC1NI and BBC2NI would be blocked out for the Republic but I have never seen this happen and hopefully never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

The only instance of programming being blocked on the BBC is when BBC 2 Northern Ireland show GAA in the summer. Viewers outside of NI and ROI cant see it, because Setanta hold the rights to GAA games in GB. Bummer.

Expect that it could be blocked, but is it too much trouble?? It could be done with cable in NI, but Sky is a different kettle of fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

As far as I know, taking GAA as an example-although I myself am not interested in this sport- RTE is only going to be available on Sky Digital in NI, not throughout Great Britain, so Setanta holding the GB rights wouldn't be a problem. But "Coronation Street" "Eastenders" and such like would HAVE to be blocked, as they are British programmes, and the licences to show them in Northern Ireland are held by BBC NI and UTV respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

Damo, taking GAA (incedentally, a sport in which I have no interest!!!!) as a case in point, as RTE is only on Sky Digital in Northern Ireland, the fact that Setanta has the GB rights is of no importance. Take this week as another example. It's Cheltenham Festival week. Channel 4 is host broadcaster- however RTE has its own coverage. If RTE had launched this week, would the RTE coverage of Cheltenham been blocked??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I dont think that the BBC or UTV are going to have too many bees in their bonnet (common phrase today!) about the 'enders or Corrie as they are being shown almost at the same time (Corrie was not blocked on RTE on NTL cable in NI 18 months ago)

The problem is Channel 5, who have no desire to get on ROI screens at all. When they bought Home and Away from ITV, there was a clause for ITV that Ch5 couldn't show H&A for almost a year.

Now, Network 2 is still ahead of Ch5, and they get it blocked, so as to protect their own revenue (which must be minimal, as they only have 2 ad macro regions for the entire UK anyway!)

Same with the racing, its on at the same time. Channel 4 are surely getting money from RTE to cover it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Channel 4 would be getting paid by RTE because RTE use the exact same pictures as C4 including the logos (like the one with a horse and a 4)

Advertisement