Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Required

Options
  • 13-03-2002 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi Folks,

Maybe some kind souls could offer me advice please?

What are the options (if any) should I wish to output sound from Digital Satellite to stereos in other rooms at home? I understand there is such a thing as a wireless digisender. Is this easily installed? I also have the house cabled throughout using co-ax. This is unused at present. Is this an option?

I am not interested in watching TV in the bedroom or in other rooms but would like the option of being able to listen to the BBC radio channels and other audio channels in other rooms via a stereo.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

a possibility is you can take the analog audio signal from the digibox via the the analog jacks at the back and input into an Amp with multiple speaker output and wire speakers in each room required.

thats just off the top of my head, more info and more time may lead to futher suggestions

Red

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

The wireless digisender may work but it is quite an expensive solution just to get radio troughout the house as they send both audio and video. I am not sure if there is such a thing as an audio only digisender. If there is then this is probably your best bet.

Unfortunately the coax will not help with what you are trying to do. The digibox has standard audio (Left and Right) outputs. You can get a fairly long cheap lead to connect the Sky box to your stereo but not sure how you will get on with hiding the wires.

Just pointing out that you will not be able to listen to the radio in another room if someone is watching a digital TV channel as you can only have one channel on at any given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

Perfect Solution: Maplin sell small time FM radio transmitters designed for use around the house (range is something like 50 mtr). You hook up the audio leads to this, select a frequency and 'bob's your uncle', every FM radio in your house can pick up the signal.

I use this system to send sudio from my PC MP3 player / Internet stations around the house.

It costs about £50Stg, and you should also know that they are technically illegal (they are pirate stations ...) . However, as long as you don't end up blocking out a neighbours reception of a legit FM channel, I shouldn't expect any trouble.

Sorry, not Maplin - it is a place called Veronica or Veronique Electronics, and it is sold in kit form (assembled or unassembled). I think Maplin sell similar equipment but will not supply to ordinary joe soaps - i.e. its professional broadcasting equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 HighburyHigh

Genghis wrote:

Perfect Solution: Maplin sell small time FM radio transmitters designed for use around the house (range is something like 50 mtr). You hook up the audio leads to this, select a frequency and 'bob's your uncle', every FM radio in your house can pick up the signal.

Genghis, perhaps you could provide some further information please? I am very interested in this (and I am sure others would be also!).

Each time you want to listen to a different audio channel in another room does this require that you have to go to the Digibox and change channel on the EPG??

Is this easy to setup/configure?

Incidentally, I searched for Veronique/Veronica Electronics and could not come up with anything. Do you have any contact details for them. Any idea of the make/model of FM radio transmitter?

Thanks again to Genghis and all who have made suggestions so far.

• Advertisement

The website is www.veronica.co.uk.

This is a very simple 'hobby' type kit - you get it either unassembled in kit form, or assembled - which actually is just a circuit board, un boxed etc. You connect audio in at the jacks, hook up a 9v battery / AC/DC adapter, and away you go. The broadcast frequency is adjusted via a small screw.

You then have one 'channel' to broadcast your chosen station. So if your STB is tuned to 6 Music, then this is broadcast. Change to Virgin Radio on your STB, it is then broadcast.

Although it looks 'rough' when you get it, it is very easy to set up. Worthwhile getting a protection case for it (Peats sell these).

Since it is a one-way broadcast, unfortunately you cannot 'remote-contol' it any more than you can control any radio station from a receiving radio set, (afaik same would apply if you used co-ax in some way). However, on the plus side you do have all-through-your-house coverage without wires.

If you need control, then the digisender is your only option. I don't know about these and sound, I am sure you could get a converter for audio leads, and then you would have control.

It would be expensive 'just for radio', but I doubt there is an audio-only alternative. Of course without Sky+ or multiple subscriptions you will always have to decide between TV and Radio.

Any other questions I can help you with, let me know!

Even with Sky + you will still only be able to watch/listen to one channel at a given time, although you will be able to record something else at the same time.

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    Even with Sky + you will still only be able to watch/listen to one channel at a given time, although you will be able to record something else at the same time.

My apologies. I meant to imply that with Sky+ and the Quad LNB that goes with it, you will then be able to run a seperate STB (your existing one?) off one of the spare two LNB connections that the Sky+ box doesn't use, and dedicate this to radio.

Very true and for most of the radio stations you will not even need a card.

Genghis wrote:

Genghis, are you sure about this URL? This does not appear to be correct.

Any idea of the kit model number which I should be looking for?

Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

About 2 years ago, I visited Radio shack when I was in the US.
    I purchased a FM Stereo transmitter, which is no bigger than a packet of cigrattes for $20.00
    It plugs into the audio output, and has a choice of 4 frequencies to broadcast or relay the audio signal. 88.9/89.1/106.7/106.9.
    The audio signal can then be tuned into any radio. At night I tune the Sky digibox into radio Cymru which relays radio 5 Live, and listen on FM in my bedroom. The Radio Shack unit is battery operated, and I dont know the legal aspects of this unit, but I love it.
    Try the radio Shack site, and they may do international mail order.
    www.radioshack.com

Pacman wrote:

Try the radio Shack site, and they may do international mail order.

Thanks, Pacman. Sounds like just what is needed. Unfortunately Radio Shack do not do International orders. Any ideas where I might be able to pick up something similar closer to home?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

I bought a similar unit via the UK many years ago
    (5 or more...)

To tune it you need to prise apart the plastic
    casing and use a small screwdriver to turn the
    tuning capacitor head. It can drift as the
    battery power fades. It takes AAA batteries
    and also has a power supply connector (can't
    recall the voltage).

To the chap who has the Radio Shack unit -
    are you using batteries or is it a wall-pluggable
    unit? One of the thing that puts me off the
    small cigarette box sized units is that they
    are typically optimized to work with a battery
    and they eventually eat them. I guess there is
    always rechargeables....

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Eirin Wrote:
    To the chap who has the Radio Shack unit -
    are you using batteries or is it a wall-pluggable unit?

It uses two AAA batteries. Does it eat them up? No,

I often put the unit into the audio of the receiver of the video sender I have on my Kitchen TV, and listen to the TV output on the stereo there. I think its great.
    Sorry Highbury High, I have no idea where you could an item like this here in Ireland. But I will check when I surf the net later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

I remember now where I ordered from (roughly) the FM
    transmitter unit in the UK. It was in one of those
    UK glossy satellite magazines which has plenty of
    vendors glossy adverts throughout it. I bought the
    magazine at the time to get all of the Astra analogue
    channel frequencies and this advert caught my eye.
    I think the company sold lots of other widgets including
    all sorts of scart adapters, video editing widgets,etc.
    Unfortunately I don't have the company name but it
    would be worth glossing over such magazines in
    Easons or wherever to see if such adverts/companies
    still advertise in the Satellite consumer mags.

--eirin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tanta

Let me know if anyone can find out where to get it. Hard to find a site willing so ship here!!!

http://www.myirock.com/players/irock300w.htm

If we all get together and buy a few each we can get it from www.buy.com. They ship internationally............. orders over $1000

Get it a www.buymicro.com but it'll set ya back $82.32 including shipping

Originally posted by HighburyHigh
    Genghis wrote:

Genghis, are you sure about this URL? This does not appear to be correct.

Any idea of the kit model number which I should be looking for?

Many thanks.

Try it without the full stop I put in at the end! ;)

I am in there now. I bought a kit (50mW FM STEREO TRANSMITTER KIT) and it costs £38.95 Assembled including VAT and Delivery. While I was in there today, there is also a 'boxed' packaged equivalent, available with AC power supply for £82.95 STG (V and D incl).

Have a look around. 50mW is more than adequate for domstic use ( I have picked its signal up up to 1/2 mile away) , and the £39 unit I bought is excellent.

One final piece of advise - if you want to use an AC adaptor, but one from these guys - your 'department store' adaptor will cause an annoying 'hum' on trtansmission. They cost about £12.

Happy Shopping

I just found another site - here

US based, will ship internationally $35 for a comparable kit, £55 or so for the complete AC and assembled unit. Will work out cheaper, though postage is unclear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

I didn't see anything for £38.95? And if I buy for £88.95 will that include the ac adaptor.

gbcullen

Originally posted by GBCULLEN
    I didn't see anything for £38.95? And if I buy for £88.95 will that include the ac adaptor.

gbcullen

This is the full link http://www.veronica.co.uk/lpskit.htm

The 88.95 is an AC model - you would'nt need an adaptor, it would just 'plug in'. BTW that price is delivery to UK, higher for Ireland.

Advertisement