Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky digital Itv, RTE,network2,TV3

Options
  • 12-03-2002 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭

I wanna know when ITV
    RTE
    TV3

are coming to sky i don't subcribe to sky but i want them channels.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

RTE channels are family pack channels so you wont get them, and ITV=never.

cheapo.
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

whatya mean family pack?

You need to have a subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭daytrader

That's crap...sky said it would be probably on the family package in Northern Ireland and the Uk, but will be free here..( as long as you have a tv Licence) the same as in the Uk.

:D

RTE will not be available in the Uk.

Maybe you should do some research before just posting an opinion based on nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

To clarify everything, this is as far as we know the state of play regarding RTE availablity.

Great Britain
    Free To Air: RTE Radio 1, 2FM, RnaG, Lyric FM.

Northern Ireland
    Family Pack: RTE ONE, Network 2, TG4

Republic of Ireland
    Value Pack*: RTE ONE (#101), Network 2 (#102), TG4 (#104)

*Sky have not stated which pack RTE will be available in the Republic. They will not be Free-To-View as no scheme exists for FTV cards in the Republic of Ireland, the cost of setting one up would be prohibitive due to the fact that very few people would want a FTV card. I am working on the assumption that Sky will make the channels available to all ROI subscribers (ie, Value Pack) - however this is to be confirmed. Further information
    on channel numbers, packs etc will be posted on the ICDG website as launch date approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

whats the story from tv3.
    they seem to be very tight-lipped in any reply

Still in negotiations at the moment, they've pre-emptively applied for a contract from the BCI however. I would imagine that they will be the same arrangements as RTE Television, #103 in ROI, and alongside the RTE channels in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I wonder if the Irish channels will be put in the same place as the UK ones for us, ie.

214 RTÉ 1
    215 Network 2
    216 TG 4 (as it is run/owned(?) by RTÉ)

217 is being used by Play UK so no room for TV 3 there. Will be interesting to see what they do.

Free to air....an expensive system isn't needed for this. Isn't all the itv regions available in the uk once a viewing card is inserted and the box is registered in the uk.

Personally I can see rte trying to have it on a package here as there greedy, but it must be free......if it's on a package here then were technically paying for it and why should we pay for rte when we pay a licence for it....are sky going to let us who have perfect terrestial rte via arial have a reduction off our subscription and not recieve rte...i don't think so.

I would like to see RTE on sky but it should be on 101, 102 etc free with a viewing card inserted and an irish registerd box, bloked for the uk.

In the north I believe they said it would possible it could be on 214,215.

It will be interesting to see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Originally posted by daytrader
    but it must be free......if it's on a package here then were technically paying for it and why should we pay for rte when we pay a licence for it....

RTE will get money any way it can.

Already it doesn't limit itself to taking our money through the licence - they also take our money through advertising (where we pay more for the products we buy, to finance the company's advertising budgets).

We'll always end up paying more ......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by daytrader
    Personally I can see rte trying to have it on a package here as there greedy, but it must be free......if it's on a package here then were technically paying for it and why should we pay for rte when we pay a licence for it....are sky going to let us who have perfect terrestial rte via arial have a reduction off our subscription and not recieve rte...i don't think so.

When I hear this, I dont think folk realise that if you get RTÉ through cable, and get your cable disconnected, then you no longer can get RTÉ via cable.

Sky only have exactly the same arrangement. Pay a sub, get RTÉ; don't pay a sub, no RTÉ.

If you want to get RTÉ differently than through an aerial, you must pay something to a service provider. Sky, Chorus or NTL.

If you are not satisfied, the RTÉ analogue reception is still available for you.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What a good way of explaining it! Well worded Damo!:)

Succinct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

DamoDMC wrote:
    >>>When I hear this, I dont think folk realise that if you get RTÉ through cable, and get your cable disconnected, then you no longer can get RTÉ via cable. <<<

Not 100% true, at least in the case of Chorus cable subscribers in Cork City. I know people who ditched their service over 5 years ago, had their black box taken away, but by connecting the cable directly to the TV, you get RTE1, Net 2, TV3, TG4, local channel, MTV and for the last few weeks, Discovery. I know TV5 is also on from time to time. For a period last year, the 4 UK terrestrial channels were also available.

I also know that Chorus had a blurb in the local paper about two years ago, saying that the Irish channels were going to be scrambled, and subscribers who had been disconnected would have to buy aerials to receive the channels off-air. Never happened, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

why the fcuk would your want rte1 or rte2 they both suck there is never anything on them ok thumbs up to tv3 they actually have decent stuff on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

What you or me or anyone else thinks of these channels is for debate elsewhere!

This discussion is about when the channels come on board. When they do, you can always tune out.

It's about choice, not preference.

fair point about losing RTE if your cable is switched off, but my bbc card ( not married to my digibox) with no sub had, ch4 and ch5.

I had all the itv regions with a my present card which was switched off for the month of December.

Originally posted by DamoDMC
    When I hear this, I dont think folk realise that if you get RTÉ through cable, and get your cable disconnected, then you no longer can get RTÉ via cable.

Dont think so...
    The previous owners of my house had chorus, which needles to say i didnt sign up to when i moved in. So at the moment i have sky and i get the rte's etc from the old chorus cable (which has gone to the dogs recently, but thats another story!).

But isn't that just due to Chorus' inefficiency at physically disconnecting the cable, rather than Chorus providing a free relay of RTE ?

The proof of the pudding would be if you were to ask Chorus to connect their cable to your house, but that you only wanted RTE and would not be paying them a subscription.

I have a feeling that they'd say no.

• Advertisement

It's all about practicalities.

Not many people know this, but until Christmas, a scheme existed in the UK wherby you could get a free dish and box, without subscribing to Sky. You had to pay a higher installation fee of £100, but it was still possible. (You also had to agree to sign the BIB interactive contract).

I'm not sure how many people availed of this offer. But those who did, were able to acquire "BBC" (Free-To-View) viewing cards to view the terrestrial channels via satellte.

No such offer was made in the Republic of Ireland, therefore practically all (I would estimate 99.9%) of owners of Astra digital reception equipment here are or were Sky subscribers.

The only market for Free-To-View cards here would be former Sky subscribers who have cancelled their subscriptions. And how many of those are there?

Certainly not enough to justify the expense of setting up the telephone hotline, paying people to man it, administring the FTV card system, checking that no cards were leaving the country etc.

Therefore the only practical alternative is to make it available to all subscribers, ie a minimum of Value Pack.

(Of course they could be nasty and limit it to Family Pack customers. Then questions would have to be asked...)

It's always been the case, in cork that the old Cork multichannel(now Chorus) had RTE and Network two FTA on their cable.

I have been in many a Rented house down there, and if the cable is there you have crystal RTE by just plugging in,with no sub to Chorus.

If theres no cable,they will not bring one in unless you are a new customer.
    mm

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You get crystal RTE from Chorus. This is true if by crystal you mean you get the same quality picture as if you were looking at it through a milk bottle. Which is full of milk. And still in a crate.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

For some amazing reason the four worst channels through Chorus's analogue cable are the four Irish channels. If you stick a length of coax in your mouth then once you have a few fillings you will get a better signal than you do from chorus.

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    [BIf you stick a length of coax in your mouth then once you have a few fillings you will get a better signal than you do from chorus. [/B]

You can also get the dentist's channel that's on Sky.

If you stick it somewhere else you can get the shopping channels. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Leesider and Dmeehan:
    Those folk are very lucky. Historically, reception wise in Cork, this may have been the case, as cable companies used to be so fragmented. It shouldn't be the case. But as we know, Chorus is a can short of a six-pack.....

Daytrader:
    Yes, it is unequal. Sky's arrangement for the UK on FTV cards unfortunatly is not the same as here. but Sky are only doing the same thing as the other TV operaters in this country.
    I cant fault them for that.

If Sky did have RTÉ on FTV cards, a) there would be no source of income from RTÉ viewers, like the way Ronan mentioned the situation pre-Christmas in the UK, so it would not be worth their while and b) the cable companies would've cried foul, and delayed any RTÉ appearence on Sky.

Originally posted by ShaneOC:
    You get crystal RTE from Chorus. This is true if by crystal you mean you get the same quality picture as if you were looking at it through a milk bottle. Which is full of milk. And still in a crate.
    lol Shane,
    I think they are the worst cable providers, this side of outer Mongolia.But compared to Chorus Arklow ,Believe you me, what you are getting in Cork is crystal
    mm

:D Anyone in the mood for a "My chorus is worse than yours" fight. :D

well they have their good points...
    beofre i got sky installed, i had sky premier free for about 3 months. (but that cancelled itself out after i saw all of their 5 movies in a bout a week, the other 2 and a half months were mostly repeats)

Advertisement