Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rte On Satellite

Options
  • 12-03-2002 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Searching this morning @ 3.00am on my FTA box and came across 3 RTE Test cards on 11.488 H @ 28 degrees. Not sure if this is Astra or Eurobird. Logo on Test Card Read RTE 1 Dublin. RTE 2 Dublin. TG4 Dublin. Any one else saw this?? Seems to be gone now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Excellente!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Lyngsat has it that that transponder has become active on Eurobird....

Funny, passed by RTE on Saturday and the mini-diggers and men-at-work signs were still around the satellite dish farm....

Shurley not that quickly!

Is it possible that these are tests done by Eutelsat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Great news !

And it's neither of the transponders that I suggested checking (goes to show how much I know !)

Well spotted Zak !!

Is there anything else on that transponder ?

Just thinking further, these would have to be test not done by RTE, as Zak said, he got it on an FTA box, which means that it wasn't encrypted. RTE will almost definatly be encrypting the signal themselves, so when the dish is finished in Montrose, expect encrypted tests.

I wonder will RTE do any FTA tests, just for the laff ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Lyngsat says that the transponder is V not H. Also can you let us know what the Symbol Rate and FEC values are please?

This could become a very busy thread over the next few days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Normally if a transponder is active and the channels are "Hidden" the No Channels Found banner comes up on screen.
    I have tried Horizontal and Vertical, even tried the 27.5 and 22.0 symbol rate also 2/3 and 5/6 FEC but all I get isNo Signal Found banner. Strange!!!!!!!
    Also strange that the Network 2 test card should be labelled as RTE2. It would be unusual for RTE to label its stations with the incorrect name!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Who calls it Network 2? I call it RTE2 always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 AJC

Like I said on another thread: RTE on EPG by 17 March, neither Sky nor RTE could pass up a PR job like that.

Bealach a do for me..... :D

(I know, fadas..... but believe me they wont work on this PC!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Originally posted by AJC
    Like I said on another thread: RTE on EPG by 17 March, neither Sky nor RTE could pass up a PR job like that.

i was a disbeliever, but my mind could be swayed now...

• Advertisement

If it happens I'll be delighted and veeerrrryy impressed.

Originally posted by DamoDMC
    Bealach a do for me..... :D

(I know, fadas..... but believe me they wont work on this PC!!)

By the way Damien, are you implying that they're all a load of "bealach"s ????

I plead the Fifth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Eurobird? Look at the footprint I think Murdoch is trying to conquer the European Irish Pub market. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭tombenjr

RTE

It would be great if RTE launched it channels
    on Sky Digital on Paddy's Day.

Originally posted by zak
    Searching this morning @ 3.00am on my FTA box and came across 3 RTE Test cards on 11.488 H @ 28 degrees. Not sure if this is Astra or Eurobird. Logo on Test Card Read RTE 1 Dublin. RTE 2 Dublin. TG4 Dublin. Any one else saw this?? Seems to be gone now.

What is the Symbol Rate and the FEC numbers?
    Are you serious or messing us about?
    Write back Zak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Yes he is messing.

I tried with my FTA box and even "feed" SR's did not pick up anything.

Originally posted by chernobyl
    Yes he is messing.

I tried with my FTA box and even "feed" SR's did not pick up anything.

Yes Iagree with you Chernobyl because
    I tried every Smybol rate and FEC with 11.488H and V
    and nothings comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 zak

If you took the time to read my first post you would have seen that I did say at the time of my writeing the test's seem to have stopped. I am not messing. What would I have to gain? All I can say is I will never ever again post to this forum, and this is the reason why so many people never share information because their is always some asshole with a very very LOW IQ to pass stupid comments, It just goes to show the net is full of dick heads.:mad:

Ok can everyone just calm down!
    Zak if you or anyone else is in a position to check again at (the ungodly hour of) 3:00am or whatever, and let us know the freq/fec etc. ITV did the same last Oct. ie. switch on at weird times and off again. My STB did something strange last night at midnight (but that's another stoty ;-) )>

• Advertisement

Originally posted by zak
    If you took the time to read my first post you would have seen that I did say at the time of my writeing the test's seem to have stopped. I am not messing. What would I have to gain? All I can say is I will never ever again post to this forum, and this is the reason why so many people never share information because their is always some asshole with a very very LOW IQ to pass stupid comments, It just goes to show the net is full of dick heads.:mad:

I apolsigze about the last post.
    No need to go that far!!!
    I only want know what is the symbol rate and Fec.
    No offence about what I said earlier. I only needed proof of it.
    Anyway it proably stop testing at the moment.
    Just give us the symbol rate and FEC?
    Write back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭TinMan

Excuse my ignorance, but what is an FTA box? I see this mentioned everywhere but I have no idea what it is? Is it a digibox like I have? Thanks anyone.....

FTA = Free To Air, ie non subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

What people call a FTA box is usually not a sky digibox, rather a receiver by Humax, Echostar, e.t.c., which doesn't have a CAM (slot), and can only receive FTA channels, and which can't be tricked into beleiving that there is 'nothing there' like a digibox can (FTA box owners have been able to get ITV2 every now and then).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭TinMan

Thanks AJC

Appreciate it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Originally posted by zak

I don't believe you zak.:rolleyes:

It's far too early to see tests from RTE.

You made a little mistake i.e. not giving H or V & Symbol rate/FEC.

We could all do without this kind of rubbish on this forum.

Hope your having a good laugh:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

A sky STB is essentially the same as any CA/CI box by Hummy/Echostar etc, except it has user restrictions for obvious reasons.

But it has its own OS/CAM/CI slot and can operate as a FTA box of sorts, infact a hardware patch from Pace can turn it fully into a FTA box.

The restictions though are serious, you have no Diseqc control, Pre set SR's and FEC's and no option to input audio/video PID's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Baz999

Another thing which trips up Zak - TG4 doesn't broadcast from Dublin, it comes from Galway!!!

Bloody hell.....

I believe in giving the benefit of the doubt to Zak on this one.... I dont have a FTA box, and I'm nowhere near a normal Digibox at the mo.

Its not hard to get H and V mixed up, it is either one or the other! :p
    Zak did say that the tests were not on at present, so dont jump down his throat for seeing nothing now... At the very least, he has given us another place of where to look for RTE.

As for RTE and the uplink we know the dish is not up yet. If these tests did happen, then it was not by RTE but by Sky or Eutelsat. And finally, TG4's transmission is run by RTE, and TG4 will be uplinked for them by RTE from Dublin. Not as daft as it sounds......

Guys, patience is a virtue. Good things come to those who wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 popjoc

I don't see why everyone doubts ZAK over his claim that RTE tests were found last night. If it wasn't for people like him, most of us would n't even be looking for RTE on satellite yet. I believe him and all I'll say is keep up the good work Zak.:) :)

Advertisement