Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greed and Ireland

Options
  • 12-03-2002 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

I have just come across boards.ie

and i enjoy reading the comments that people have to make in general about all of the subjects on boards.ie

but as i look at the political section i see so many people not wanting to be Irish and proud to be Irish

I would like some day to live in a United Ireland (Which stood for freedom and the respect of others and their believes as well as those of my own)

I am so angry that people in Ireland have forgotten that we like so many countries had to fight for our freedom, a freedom of speach, ideas, land and culture.

for seventy years the people in the north have fought because they were afraid of a united ireland or just simple because the had no rights or freedoms (scum of the earth if you like)

Is Ireland just greed and money now. the more money from europe the more we should join europe and the less we consider the feelings of others in our own country to be part of a sovereign, independent, democratic state.

Are we just here for the money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

You got to remember that before The British colonised Ireland we were a nation of clans, or a nation of nations. and we were always fighting amounst ourselves. We the "South' gained freedom, we couldn't agree with ourselves once more and fought amounst ourselves.

Basically what i'm saying is the ppl in the south are happy to be free from British rule, and once there are free, they don't want to get involved (because they have what they want). Typical Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Is Ireland just greed and money

probably. If you look at the low turnouts in both elections and refferenda over the last decade it would seem that people dont care who is running the country as long as they get paid and as long as things like PPF keep getting them pay rises.
    the more money from europe the more we should join europe and the less we consider the feelings of others in our own country to be part of a sovereign, independent, democratic stat

Werent we the only country in europe to have a refferendum on nice and didnt the no vote in the nice referendum demonstrate to the government how we the irish people feel about sinking into a federalised europe.

granted the governemt are going to do a rehash of the nice treaty refferendum sooner or later so it is up to those who want to have their feelings considered to go out and vote.

over fifty percent of the population has neglected to vote on the various referrenda on europe and yet they moan then when it doesnt go their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Look at this realistically;

back in the days of the rebellion they had a few rifles n pitch forks n good for them that’s all they needed.

Now "the enemy" has a massive military backing, weapons of mass destruction etc etc etc so an armed assault would undoubtedly fail.

If they said "here take it we don't want it" we'd have social unrest, rioting, violence, terrorism etc. ya know that kinda thing tends to turn foreign investment away, without which we'd be paralysed.

And yes I for one am proud to be Irish, I appreciate the sacrifice of those who fought for freedom and I'll never forget them.

Does it make us greedy to want medicine's to cure our illness, comfortable homes, good jobs, education, a life without threat of violence or poverty, i think not, it means we're living in the 'real world'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Who are the Enemy?

Does Ireland have any Enemies (Britian, Guess Not)

If we join a united fedral Europe would we not have more enemies???????

The Americans have plenty.

Also the belgians say they are not very nationalistic, wonder how the would feel if a fedral europe was run in Dublin or any other city other then Brussels?

With out the guys that fought for use there would be no Health Care System, We would just be the same as people fighting for their freedom now.

We dont have to give up our Freedom For Health Care when we already have that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Loose what freedoms exactly?

The freedom to choose wether or not we should fight in a war

The freedom to choose our own laws that will not be subject to european laws and foreign policy

the freedom to make free trade agreement with other countries outside the eu.

the freedom to choose our own taxation without relation to the rate of inflation in the European Unions, S h i t that one's gone already.

the freedom to choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Basically what i'm saying is the ppl in the south are happy to be free from British rule, and once there are free, they don't want to get involved (because they have what they want). Typical Irish.

Ah, I see - so it's "I'm alright Jack" as opposed to any form of rational thinking about the political situation?

I can see that you've put a lot of thought into that assessment, do you have a newsletter or other periodical I might subscribe to.... Or are you just being offensive for the sake of it?

the freedom to choose.

Personally I'm quite enjoying the freedom to move through the European Union and work wherever I choose as a citizen of Europe. I'm pretty fond of the freedom to call for the defence of my civil rights in a European court. I'm quite enamoured of the freedom to buy goods at low prices thanks to the common market.

I also like the freedom to choose my representation both at a national and a European level, giving me a say in the running not only of my own nation but of the group of nations around me. I'm delighted with the freedom to get on with my life confident in the economic and military protection afforded by a supergroup of nations.

And I'm very, very keen on the freedom to take huge amounts of pride in being Irish, while also being able to identify myself with no small amount of pride as a European.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Elmo
    for seventy years the people in the north have fought because they were afraid of a united ireland or just simple because the had no rights or freedoms (scum of the earth if you like)

Well. thanks for clarifying that. I, like most of the informed world, would have thought it was a far more compelx situation than this.

Maybe you could take your simplified theory up there, and explain it to the people involved, and it will solve all evils.

the freedom to choose.
    What you seem to fail to remember is that freedom to choose can, and has, allowed us to choose not to remain as a penniless isolated nation, and instead to take part in a larger entity for everyones benefit.

It may have escaped your notice, but we made that choice freely and willingly. We also have retained the ability to choose to leave the EU should we ever wish to part ways.

The thing about choice is that people en masse can choose something other than what you want. Of course, this being a democracy (another choice we made), we must accept the wishes of the majority, or at least, of the majority who could be bothered expressing an opinion when it actually counts.

Seeing as you are so dead-set on the right to have choice, you should be the first person standing up and applauding the fact that we made this choice of joining with Europe. Instead, you seem to be bemoaning it.

You seem to be advocating choice, as long as we choose the stuff you want. Thats no more choice than Ford selling his model-t saying "you can have any colour you want, as long as its black".

Choice is a double-edged sword. Our freedom to choose gives uis the freedom to make choices you dont agree with. Live with it.

jc

Sorry but that simple theory i gave is quite right.

1. The unionist were afraid of Home Rule, Rome Rule

They are proable right when you look at the history of ireland and the catholic church after we got our freedom, it was wrong of the majority of Irish people to impose A religion on all of its people.

2. The unionist were afraid that if we broke away from Britian we would lose trade espicially in NI.(Bigger and more profitable area in Ireland due to the succeful ulster plantation.)

Note the economic war with Britian. (they are wrong about this other then that point since Britian is a major trade area for Ireland)

3. The Nationalist were treated as scum of the Earth in NI and we the people choose not to help them. (we are nice)

How is it any more complex please do tell.

Yes we choose to be part of Europe. Well done. But now that we're apart of it, it is more of a laze a faire attitude we take.

i.e. "I'm Alright Jack"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Is this "Guess what era I'm living in" quiz?

1947? did I win?

Advertisement